Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading .40 without FCD

jester650

I am new to this forum forgive me for asking a stupid question and I have crawled all over this forum and love it, however I have now become confused, I have reloaded for years but quit for about ten years  however I am now trying to get back in it. OK so here my question I do not Have a FCD and I have .40 cals cleaned and prime ready to load with 180 gr tmJ  bullete  using titegroup or hp-38  any way can i load these  cartridge without the FCD or is it going tobe dangerous ?  I have fit them in my  gauge they fit well now, no tight ones. I found one piece of Glocked Brass , also shooting a G22 Glock, 

Thanks in advance and I hope this wasnt to dumb a question 

I am new to this forum forgive me for asking a stupid question and I have crawled all over this forum and love it, however I have now become confused, I have reloaded for years but quit for about ten years  however I am now trying to get back in it. OK so here my question I do not Have a FCD and I have .40 cals cleaned and prime ready to load with 180 gr tmJ  bullete  using titegroup or hp-38  any way can i load these  cartridge without the FCD or is it going tobe dangerous ?  I have fit them in my  gauge they fit well now, no tight ones. I found one piece of Glocked Brass , also shooting a G22 Glock, 

Thanks in advance and I hope this wasnt to dumb a question 

hey bud, what seating/crimp die are you using?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I use Lee carbide seating  die  the three die set from years ago  but carbide  I have them in the progresswive 100  but going with The RCBS Rockchucker until i get comfortable again that progressive is finiky to me but i cant afford a dillion yet and want to reload for some competiton shooting and practice,  I have same  question for the 9mm that im not setup for die wise those will be far more important when i get them ready, 

thank you for the reply I appreciate it 

I have been loading 40 major on my Dillon square deal b for about 2 years. My pet load is 4.9 grains hp38 and hap bullets. But I shoot a 2011 Kkm bull barrel .I have never used anything other than the sizer on my Dillon. Shooting out of a glock I cant help there. But I have never had an issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, jester650 said:

I'm a little worried, I dont want a catastrophic failure 

The only way you might have a "catastrophic failure" is iff,

1.  you're loading .40 Major ( PF 165+)

and

2.  you're able to press the bullet into the case after reloading (bullet setback).

If you're reloading .40 Minor - don't worry about it  ….  :)

If you're reloading .40 Major - load up a dozen, and push the bullet against your reloading table as hard as you can,

and then measure the OAl - if it shortened appreciably, you might have a problem and need to size the cases better    :) 

OK guys great info , Im loaded   BUT  the cases are glocked  wont fit in gauge theyre all alittle fat ar the very end , i did load with hp38  4.8G 180 tnj OA L  1.125   will an grx sizer fix this and thank you Hi-power I did check them as direcred pushed them against the bench the crimp is good they didnt move  but that swelling has to go.  Im thinking the grx sizer would that be the way to go ??   thank KK  for the info .

OK guys great info , Im loaded   BUT  the cases are glocked  wont fit in gauge theyre all alittle fat ar the very end , i did load with hp38  4.8G 180 tnj OA L  1.125   will an grx sizer fix this and thank you Hi-power I did check them as direcred pushed them against the bench the crimp is good they didnt move  but that swelling has to go.  Im thinking the grx sizer would that be the way to go ??   thank KK  for the info .

Yes, the GRX will get rid of that bulge.

If you’re shooting a lot then a roll sizer is a lot more efficient.

3 hours ago, jester650 said:

1.  the cases are glocked  won't fit in gauge -

2.  pushed them against the bench - the crimp is good - they didn't move 

1.  Just to confirm - you are sizing the brass, and the brass will NOT fit the gauge, before you seat the bullet ?

2.  The "crimp" doesn't secure the bullet and prevent bullet setback.   That's in the realm of the sizing die -

to reduce the size of the brass so it will hold the bullet securely.   That's important not to have bullet setback,

especially with .40 Major  -  for .40 Minor, it's not terrible important (explosive).

It's possible, if your reloads are bulged after seating the bullet ?  that  your crimp might be too much - and that

can cause a bulge.   You don't actually crimp a semi-auto cartridge - just remove the bell so you could seat

the bullet into the case.   The brass should be straight up and down after it's "crimped", just like it was

before you flanged the mouth of the brass.

Good luck with it.   

p.s.  I don't personally recommend reloading at 3:00 a.m.     ?

ok, I work nights , so your 3:00 am is alot of times  my 3:00 pm,  I did slide some of the cases in the gauge before the sizing and bell  and they did fit, after the bell and sizing, I loaded with powder and seated the bullet I set the die to factory shell I had, but I guess its possible that happened because the bulge is at the bottom in most shell just before the rim,  pulled a bullet or two and the bullet is crimped abut right no real scarring of the bullet and it wont move pushing on the bench.  after removing the bell and causing the crimp to hold the bullet doesnt seem to be overly crimped it is straight not tapered in I set it for a light removal of the bell  but ill check that. I relize its not tecnically a crimp but for lack of saying " removal of the bell " each time ill just call it that.   Thanks jack for the reply  

Thanks Candiru  Im just getting back into it Im not even sure what a roll sizer really is or does, Ive read about it but still not physically familiar with it but down the road Im guessing I will be,

But on that note I see more questions, I did just watch something on a automatic roll sizer although it was really cool it was also $2000, Im definately not shooting that much yet. when iused to reload I reloaded mainly benchrest rifle and revolver a few .45 acp  nevcer had this case problem and FCD or gsx issue that i know of, didnt own a glock at the time either. So Im carching up here on some of these issues trying to reload for IDPA practice and work up loads. Apparently I need to check my crimp after bullet seating on my die accoding to Jack I may have over crimped after bullet seating,  he says that may have caused the bulge  but it wasnt set tight it was set to a factory round but I may have I guess.  Thanks  Candiru for your help.

NO sir  i dont  know  what a plunk test is ? and the O.A.L was 1.125 "   let me go down and look at these monsters and straightedge them so i can give more info  and you tell me what a  plunk test is ?

1 hour ago, jester650 said:

didnt pass that.    does the GSX sizer fix this or pull them all .

Might be the sizing, and it still might be the OAL (length) of the cartridges.

If they're too long (for YOUR gun, with that particular bullet) they won't pass either.

So, it could be sizing, but I'd try a shorter OAL (one that passes The Plunk Test), first.     :) 

BTW, I separate out rounds that fail TPT, and most of them will load and fire just fine -

depends on how badly they fail.