Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What’s the polite way to pick up brass?

UpYoursPal

On 10/7/2018 at 10:52 PM, motosapiens said:

if you're only picking up your own brass, or stealing others, then I agree. but if 2 people pick up brass and return it to the shooter while the other 6 people reset the stage in the exact same time it takes for 8 people to reset the stage, I appreciate it.

Well then why doesn't everyone reset and get it done a lot faster,  then you can all pick up the brass after everyone has shot the stage?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple people with paster guns can paste an entire stage faster than half a dozen without.  Even without there's no need for everyone to run out every time and reset one or two targets.

If done right, it adds no time for a couple brass pickers to do their thing.  But, lazy being what it is, that died around here back in the 90s when .40 brass got cheap and those shooters said "I don't want my brass back, so I'm not going to pick up yours". 

Now if you want it back, mark it and get it after the match or pick up one or two at a time when you can on the way by.

30 minutes ago, shred said:

A couple people with paster guns can paste an entire stage faster than half a dozen without.  Even without there's no need for everyone to run out every time and reset one or two targets.

If done right, it adds no time for a couple brass pickers to do their thing.  But, lazy being what it is, that died around here back in the 90s when .40 brass got cheap and those shooters said "I don't want my brass back, so I'm not going to pick up yours". 

Now if you want it back, mark it and get it after the match or pick up one or two at a time when you can on the way by.

I have probably shot 30-40 matches in the last two years and can count on 2 fingers the times anyone had a paster gun.  The more people you have pasting and resetting the faster the next person shoots.  quite a  concept.  

Edited by JJB05

12 hours ago, JJB05 said:

Well then why doesn't everyone reset and get it done a lot faster,  then you can all pick up the brass after everyone has shot the stage?

in my experience (which includes working many section, area and national matches), it is not any faster to have 7 people resetting a stage than to have 4, unless you have a texas star or polish plate rack or something. You have to wait until the targets are scored anyway, so 2 people can easily follow the RO around, pasting targets as soon as they are scored while 1 resets the steel.

Most of the time when you have a bunch of people out there, most of them are standing by 1 or 2 targets waiting for the RO to get there and score.... essentially doing nothing....

If you pick up brass after each shooter finishes while others are resetting everyone gets a chance to get a reasonable amount of their brass back. If you wait till the end of the match usually a few guys will scarf up all the brass. Even with marked brass if you wait till all stages are finished your brass is scattered on half a dozen bays. 

Partner up with a couple of guys to pick brass for the squad while others are resetting.

you get your brass and everyone else gets theirs.

Some will tell you or your partners they don't want it, more for your pile.

At my 2-3 local clubs the brass pickers are considered helping reset the stage.

2-3 people make for time to be ready to shoot when it's your turn.

Even a small 8 person squad can do this.

2 ro's  imbedded in the squad, shooter, on deck shooter, guy who just finished shooting, 3 people left,( 1 brass picker 2 to paste and set steel)

sometimes when I'm the RO I'll tape as I call the targets, unless it's a target that maybe questioned, then I'll leave it for the shooter to look at and one of the paster /steel setters will get it pasted.

Holy cow, Batman, that means everybody has to do something (thus the hard part)

Edited by jcc7x7

I always help paste/reset, and grab a few pieces of brass on my way to/from. I make sure to pickup what I shot on that stage. If at the end of a stage there is some leftover and other shooters don't want it I'll run through and grab some more. However I never do any of it in a manner that will delay "the game". 

This method allows me to not only to do my part, but also allows me to "fill my pockets" at the same time. Seems like a win-win for me and my squad. 

On 1/30/2019 at 7:48 PM, jcc7x7 said:

Partner up with a couple of guys to pick brass for the squad while others are resetting.

you get your brass and everyone else gets theirs.

Some will tell you or your partners they don't want it, more for your pile.

At my 2-3 local clubs the brass pickers are considered helping reset the stage.

2-3 people make for time to be ready to shoot when it's your turn.

Even a small 8 person squad can do this.

2 ro's  imbedded in the squad, shooter, on deck shooter, guy who just finished shooting, 3 people left,( 1 brass picker 2 to paste and set steel)

sometimes when I'm the RO I'll tape as I call the targets, unless it's a target that maybe questioned, then I'll leave it for the shooter to look at and one of the paster /steel setters will get it pasted.

Holy cow, Batman, that means everybody has to do something (thus the hard part)

So you have 3 people to pick up brass, reset and paste? That seems like a lot of pasting for a couple people, especially on a long field course.  At the 3-4 clubs i shoot at regularly not 1 person picks up brass....everyone helps reset and paste. If someone decided to pick up brass while other people were resetting they would be quickly admonished.  But thats just how things go at the clubs i shoot at.

I think these days most shooters don’t care as much about brass as they used to. The only guys I see sweating over brass are the 38 super holdouts. They are constantly picking during the stage between reset duties.

If I feel like picking up brass I hang around after tear down and pick it until I’m tired. LOL

All of these methods you guys talk about give me a headache. If somebody wants their share of brass back then they can do the same as the 38 guys.

I shot a match last week about 175 rounds, one shooter just switched from 9 to 38 super comp. He told me after the match, there went another $20.00 bucks, said he didn’t pick up any brass. 

8 minutes ago, EEH said:

I shot a match last week about 175 rounds, one shooter just switched from 9 to 38 super comp. He told me after the match, there went another $20.00 bucks, said he didn’t pick up any brass. 

After reading 65 post on this subject I have come to this conclusion.

We should eliminate all divisions except for revolver and they have to be moon clipped. All brass is usually picked up by one person before the scoring is completed and they even still have time to help paste and reset. 

Have you ever noticed that when you do have a revolver squad at a match they always seem to be waiting on the auto guys in front of them due to trying to police the brass spread everywhere.

In reality all kidding aside (maybe) if you have a buddy you shoot with have him or her pick up your mags and what brass they can while your stage is being scored and if you are not one of shooters who have to see every target and piece of steel help pick up your brass at that time. 

When I shoot an auto this is how I do it and if a target has a questionable hit the RO will call you over to look at it anyway. Do I get all my brass back, no but I get the majority of it back. A little lost brass here and there should not break you cause if it does you my friend are in the wrong sport. 

😂😁😉

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, HCH said:

I think y’all are way overthinking this and too uptight. 

I’m not coming to shoot a match without ammo, and I’m not leaving all my brass at the range and buying more...

Cool...feel free to pick it up after the match.

2 hours ago, JJB05 said:

Cool...feel free to pick it up after the match.

I pick it up constantly. And *GASP* help reset for 3/4 of the shooters. If I’m not on deck, shooting, or loading mags, I’m resettting.