Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What’s the polite way to pick up brass?

UpYoursPal

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

it takes 2-3 people max to reset a stage. beyond that, you're just standing around pretending to reset while taping 2 targets.

not quite accurate.  everyone walks to a target and tapes or resets it.  normally have 10 - 16 targets, gets done real quick with lots of helpers vs 2-3.  frankly it's just f**** rude to pick brass when others are helping to make the stage go quick by taping and resetting.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, davsco said:

not quite accurate.  everyone walks to a target and tapes or resets it.  normally have 10 - 16 targets, gets done real quick with lots of helpers vs 2-3.  frankly it's just f**** rude to pick brass when others are helping to make the stage go quick by taping and resetting.

if you're only picking up your own brass, or stealing others, then I agree. but if 2 people pick up brass and return it to the shooter while the other 6 people reset the stage in the exact same time it takes for 8 people to reset the stage, I appreciate it.

I decided a couple years ago to treat each match as a lost brass match.   The clubs I shoot at create stages that require a lot of movement, so the brass is spread out all over.  2-3 guys doing the taping and resetting would slow down the squad.  Almost everyone goes down range to tape.  Those that want their brass usually stay after the match and collect what they can.  For the 3 to 3.5 cents each I pay for processed or fully processed brass, I'd rather leave it.  That way I can pay attention to ROing and shooting.  I do feel the OP's pain.  That is the exact reason I decided against 38SC for my next Open gun. 

At my range, we pick up brass after every shooter during our monthly matches. A couple people pick brass while the others reset. The brass is given to the shooter right away. It works very well and there is not a bunch of brass left to pick up during tear down. 

There isn't usually much time for picking up brass while the contest is going on. Maybe just a few. The main opportunity is really once it is over.

Last year, I shot a match in Revolver, and using .357 Mag. The tapers were kind enough to retrieve my speedloaders and much of my brass. Which was great. The usual thing here is that ROs and helpers shoot the match on Saturday, and paying competitors just shoot on Sunday (no work).

when I shot indoor matches we picked up after each shooter. If they did not want their brass we left it to the end.

38 super and supercomp can get bent pretty badly on cement floor. Never held up the match.

6 hours ago, Acer2428 said:

The question is, are you hoarding brass for yourself while others work or are you gathering brass FOR the shooter and returning it to him?

If the former, that's s#!tty. 

Again, we put all the brass on a table and announce that fact to the shooters. Every shooter has the chance to get their brass [if marked) or their share of brass.  If the squad is too small we have enough sense to tape and reset and leave the brass for later. Jeez! It's not that hard.

All the clubs in my area require that we police brass and make sure all bays are clean before we leave. A few of the ranges will actually fine the clubs if the bays aren’t cleaned and that goes for the bass as well. We tend to pick up brass during our stage we’re 1-2 shooters usually pick up the brass and usually always ask if the shooters want it back. The shooters who usually shoot 38 super comp always say they want their brass back.

Normally we have two picking up brass and the rest taping, works out fine......UNTIL you get some brass thieving As^&le who grabs everything in sight, especially the RO's brass. I really hate that since we split being RO between shooters who are all CRO's. It is amazing how idiotic some shooters act when brass is flying. You would think they will bring a catchers mitt to grab it being it even hits the ground. Then they brag to their friends how much they got at the end of a match.

I shoot.45's a lot, and while I am not Scrooge McGee, it does help to get some of it back, and .38 Super guys should get theirs back. 

The other part of this is GET THE HELL OFF THE STAGE when shooters are ready to go. It gets really old to yell clear the range because the cheapest SOB on the planet just has to get that super expensive 9MM or .40 brass all picked up. Amazing, simply amazing how some people act for 2 cents.

The best way is to ask your squad how they want it done

for supercomp spend the extra $20 a k for nickel plated brass, it's easier to find on the ground or in a pile of brass

i scan the ground as I walk to reset targets and the nickel cases stand out from the rest

Edited by rishii

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2018 at 12:31 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Two thoughts for you:

1.  Fire each brass 4-6 times in practice, before you get to the match, and then consider it "lost" - don't bother with it.

2.  If you still feel the urge to pick it up, each range will have a different set of "customary practices" when it

comes to retrieving brass.   Really depends on the RO or MD, to a large extent.

I've shot at more than a dozen ranges, and some are lost brass matches, and some will actually have people

picking up Your Brass while the scoring/resetting is going on - and then they hand you your brass.

And, everything in between.   Seems to depend on what the RO/MD is shooting - if he's shooting a .38 Super,

he's probably Very Aware of your desire to pick up your expensive brass.   If he's a revolver shooter or shooting

a 9mm, he may feel that picking up brass "slows the match down".

The trick, is to watch what everyone else is doing, at each match you attend, and fit into the norm.

The worst scenario is the guy with the brass scooper who scoops up Everybody's brass as soon as they

stop shooting - you'll have to talk to him about that.

Good luck with it.

Oh, BTW, a third option - switch to 9mm Major, and forget this whole question    :) 

Best advice in this thread!

• 3 months later...

Mark your brass and pick it up after the match. Most guys use colored sharpies to make an easily identified and differentiated design that’s easy to pick out of grass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/7/2018 at 11:57 AM, Arlin said:

In the early days of IPSC/USPSA we would designate brass pickers and tapers.  Shooter, on deck, in the hole, brass picker, tapers.  Never had a problem.  I don't know when this stopped or why.  Just my two cents.

Arlin

That is the way I learned,,  and all the brass just got set on top of a barrel or table at back of range,,, those that wanted picked out their own while waiting. End of match all of it got dumped on a big table made of wire screen...  The folks that stayed to put up props and wait for the scorekeeper either grabbed their own, (Id'd by marker stripes),, then divied up the rest.
Other places I have shot were used by folks that didnt pick up during week, so was tons of common brass ready to pick up... Probably not so good for 38 super guys.
But during tape reset,,, during taping I would tend to pick up 38 or moonclips if I saw it  and give it to shooter or leave on table... didnt worry about 9/40 or 45.