Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yet Another JP GMR15 or MPX thread.

On 10/8/2018 at 11:32 AM, Akkid17 said:

This seems to be a common argument, and it all comes down to a lot of opinions and anecdotal evidence. Patterns emerge over a long enough sample size and with that said the pattern seems to be:

-JP is a go getter right out of the box, if you don’t want/need/like to modify guns and just have them be reliable this is the route to go. 

-MPX has what most people consider to be 2 mandatory upgrades (trigger and stock, charging handle is debatable), however, it is pretty well agreed by the majority of shooters that have shot or owned both that the MPX is the softer/flatter option with very little dicking around with finding the “perfectly tuned load” and buffer set up. There have been complaints about reliability and some are probably user induced others are possibly the gun/gas system design. 

My experience is that I spent close to $2500 doing the full meal deal on a blowback gun with qc10 bones and all the go-fast cool guy upgraded parts then shot a MPX and proceeded to spend close to $3000 to get that fully set up with all the go-fast cool guy upgrades. If I were to do it again I’d skip the blowback gun and just go straight to the MPX and be much happier about my PCC life. 

MY experience is identical to yours. JP, then MPX. I tend to agree with your recommendation of going straight to MPX.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Akkid17 said:

Damn! Sounds like you got a lemon,

There are 5 of us running the mpx here, all in the 5k to 16k round count range, and the first issue someone had was breaking a trigger after 14k and the company replaced the trigger for free. I suppose we had another problem with a leading issue from one guy running bare lead Bullets and it gummed up his gas system pretty bad. Came back to life after he cleaned it out though. 

Sounds like it is hit or miss.  We have noticed different gen2 mpx's having different parts.  Seems they kept iterating the design behind the scenes. 

6 hours ago, edwin garcia said:

MY experience is identical to yours. JP, then MPX. I tend to agree with your recommendation of going straight to MPX.

I have a MPX but I went the other way with 2 JP's. For me, the cost of triggers was killing me. In one season I think I went through about 4 different triggers. My JP just runs and with my loads the kick is not bad. I am using a PRS Gen-3 on my JP's.

The new Competition Ready MPX is supposed to come with a longer, thinner, lighter handguard, true 16" barrel, recoil reducing comp, improved piston system, new stock, improved charging handle, different grip angle and a 4.5 lbTimney trigger specifically designed for the MPX.

This was announced in the May NRA show, but still isn't for sale that I can find.  Would this be the Gen 3?

there’s been more media about it lately. there was that youtube video a week or so back, and lena miculek had an instagram story featuring it. but none of the recent media made any mention of an improved gas system. the only visible/discernible differences were the handguard, barrel/comp, and trigger.

i would be interested in the actual release date and price

I traded for a Gen 1 so I didn't have to worry about opening up the gas port to work with reloads AND the mags are cheap!

33rd Glock sticks are what, $28-35? 30 rd. Gen 1 Lancers can be had for $30 shipped and 20 rd'ers (25 after the spring guide mod) are available for under $13 FWIW. 

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:03 AM, motherFNbrandon said:

there’s been more media about it lately. there was that youtube video a week or so back, and lena miculek had an instagram story featuring it. but none of the recent media made any mention of an improved gas system. the only visible/discernible differences were the handguard, barrel/comp, and trigger.

i would be interested in the actual release date and price

I'm told I've been added to the list of writers who will get one of the first examples from the first batch that comes out for review.  Very interested.