Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Perplexed

biggdave19

I have only been reloading for a couple of years and recently started having weird problems. I have been reloading 9mm  coated 124 SWC from Missouri bullet over Win 231 right around 3.5 gns. Shot about 500 with no problem, just using them for IDPA practice, not looking for any particular load, just wanted something for the wife and I to shoot.(this was my second 1000 from them) along the way I started getting rounds that tumbled/keyholed. So I thought I would try a heavier bullet for my next batch and bought 147 SWC coated from Precision bullet. After several attempts to get a good load between min/max, I began to have the tumbling issue again.  The only constant between the loads was powder and primer. OK, new powder, Sport Pistol, three different loads, 3.2, 3.4, 3.6. Also bought a pkg of 147 Blue bullets to try also. The Precision bullets still tumbled about 1/4 of the time, but not with the Blues, so at the end of all this, the only real difference in the bullets is that the Blues have a groove cut at the bottom of the casting and the others didn't. Any thoughts, recommendations? Thanks

12 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Sounds a bit light - you might up that and run it over a chrono - just might

solve your problem     :) 

Most of my keyhole problems were because of low velocity. Jack is right ?. You need to chrono those loads to get an idea of the velocity.  Can't work up a good load with out a chrono.

When i read your thread early this morning, the first thing that came to mind, 3.5gr of w231 on a 124gr bullet ...?, more like 3.8 -4.0 gr, depends on OAL  and the type Gun you are using. 

40 minutes ago, Service Desk said:

Bullet size is the number 1 cause...too small  a diameter for your gun. Try some .356" lead bullets. Over crimping will size bullets down...so check that you are only removing the bell

THIS

How's your crimp?  Have you checked your dies to make sure none have come loose and the shell plate is still tight and not loose?

Heavy crimp or low velocity come to mind.  Have you run any of those round through a chrono? and lastly, have you checked your powder charge?

Extra powder and velocity can keep the bullet gyro-stabilized a little longer, but that doesn't mean low velocity was THE problem.  It can just as well be that more velocity masked the problem.

Key-holing is likely poor bullet to barrel fit

OR

Damage to the bullet

Damage to the bullet can be from over-crimping OR from seating a lead bullet too deep in the case, or from using a crimp die ill-suited to lead bullets.

Can you give us more info about your loads -- specific bullet models (brand, weight, profile) and the corresponding OALs?

And what kind of crimp die are you using?  Is it a Lee FCD?

What distance are you noticing the keyholing ?

I shoot some Very Light loads thru my KelTec 9mm at 10 yards, and get NO keyholing,

but I have never tried them at 25 yards - it's possible that they could start keyholing

a little further out than 10 yards .    :) 

The 124 gr load is very light, but for 147 your load looks ok, maybe even a bit hot on some of the larger charges. 3.6gr is a bigger charge than most use with 147. More common would be between 3.2- 3.4. Since tumbling is still occurring with the 147s crimp would be the first place I look.  Next look for lead build up in the barrel as well from tumbling rounds.

Edited by Tnbb33

19 hours ago, IDescribe said:

Extra powder and velocity can keep the bullet gyro-stabilized a little longer, but that doesn't mean low velocity was THE problem.  It can just as well be that more velocity masked the problem.

Key-holing is likely poor bullet to barrel fit

OR

Damage to the bullet

Damage to the bullet can be from over-crimping OR from seating a lead bullet too deep in the case, or from using a crimp die ill-suited to lead bullets.

Can you give us more info about your loads -- specific bullet models (brand, weight, profile) and the corresponding OALs?

And what kind of crimp die are you using?  Is it a Lee FCD?

Yes I’m using the Lee die, will be doing more testing after vacation

7 hours ago, Tnbb33 said:

The 124 gr load is very light, but for 147 your load looks ok, maybe even a bit hot on some of the larger charges. 3.6gr is a bigger charge than most use with 147. More common would be between 3.2- 3.4. Since tumbling is still occurring with the 147s crimp would be the first place I look.  Next look for lead build up in the barrel as well from tumbling rounds.

Actually was probably using 3.9, bullets were tumbling at 21feet

1 hour ago, biggdave19 said:

Yes I’m using the Lee die, 

Stop.  Just buy a regular taper crimp die.

Lee FCD is designed to resize all the way down the case, not just taper crimp.  With lead bullets, that resizing function can swage the bullet inside the case, killing bullet to barrel fit, leading to... wait for it... tumbling.  ;)

Others are correct about those charge weights being relatively light for 124/125gr bullets, and if you're going to shoot 9mm minor, you should increase velocity, but ditch the Lee FCD.

You should also give us the other load data I mentioned -- specific bullet models, OAL, etc..