Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1050: Stock powder funnel or Mr. Bullet funnel, how to tell?

Title kind of states it.

I bought a used 1050 for 45acp that came with two Mr. Bullet mini-feeder tubes.  It didn't come with the die.  I'm trying to identify if it came with the Mr. Bullet powder funnel.

I'm debating whether to track down any missing parts for the mini-feeder or 'splurge' on the non-pro feeder(~$500)

The Dillon 1050 powder funnel for 45ACP is a tapered cone. The Mr. Bulletfeeder funnel has a stepped funnel with parallel sides, which goes down inside the case mouth partway to widen the top of the neck as well as flare the case mouth.

17 hours ago, LTC-J said:

Title kind of states it.

I bought a used 1050 for 45acp that came with two Mr. Bullet mini-feeder tubes.  It didn't come with the die.  I'm trying to identify if it came with the Mr. Bullet powder funnel.

I'm debating whether to track down any missing parts for the mini-feeder or 'splurge' on the non-pro feeder(~$500)

You might also look at the powder funnel itself.  I just upgraded from a mini to a MBF.  I decided to change the powder funnel to the new one and it has the caliber stamped on the side of the powder funnel (mine says 9mm/38).  My old one from the mini didn't have it stamped, so it will be hit or miss.  Take it from someone who had the mini for a couple of years, get the regular MBF, you'll be happy you did.

You can tell the MBF funnel because it has a "step" in the middle of the funnel, the stock funnel just has a gradual flare with no visible "step". The step can be felt with a fingernail if your close vision is getting as bad as mine has become.

Thank you for all the replies.

It sounds like I can visually or tactilely tell without having to tear apart the machine;  look for or feel for a step/grove.

5 hours ago, stick said:

Take it from someone who had the mini for a couple of years, get the regular MBF, you'll be happy you did.

What makes the regular (non-pro) MBF better?

I'm going from single stage press to 1050 so by itself, I'm seeing a huge upgrade :)

21 minutes ago, LTC-J said:

Thank you for all the replies.

It sounds like I can visually or tactilely tell without having to tear apart the machine;  look for or feel for a step/grove.

What makes the regular (non-pro) MBF better?

I'm going from single stage press to 1050 so by itself, I'm seeing a huge upgrade :)

You are seeing a big upgrade from a single stage to a 1050.  The mini bullet feeder holds approximately 100 rounds in a rotary tube.  When it's empty, you need to refill it. which takes a bit of time.  The regular Mr. Bullet feeder holds approximately 400 rounds and it's automated like the casefeeder.  It's not any better, just a lot faster.  Less time loading =more time to spend with my kids or training.  I used for one years.  for the price, it's not bad.

• 7 months later...

FYI but with the 1050 you really won't need the MBF funnel - the combination of the Swage Backup/Expander when set correctly, and Dillon powder funnel provide plenty of case mouth expansion for the MBF dropper, and you don't have that annoying stick you get with the MBF power funnel.

6 hours ago, 78Staff said:

FYI but with the 1050 you really won't need the MBF funnel - the combination of the Swage Backup/Expander when set correctly, and Dillon powder funnel provide plenty of case mouth expansion for the MBF dropper, and you don't have that annoying stick you get with the MBF power funnel.

I messed with that as well and ended up going back with the MBF funnel.  The MBF funnel seems to open the case mouth enough to allow the bullet to seat tightly oriented upgright whereas the Dillon funnel seemed to let the bullet move around when the shell plate moves.  The sticking part on the upstroke is annoying, but now with the autodrive who really cares.

Hi:

I have used the Lyman "M" die in combination with the Dillon powder funnel and they work well together.

The trick is, as I see it, to have the "M" die open up the case (I remove the swagging station and install the "M" die in it's place) without flaring out the top of the case. Then when it reaches the powder station I  set a very minimal amount of "flare" with the Dillon powder funnel. This works very well at speeds up to 2,400 rph. The thing to remember is less is more - the weight of the bullet drop column seats the bullet not the amount of flare. More belling at the mount makes the bullet wobble and is counterproductive - the least amount of Dillon powder funnel "flare" that works is the way to go.

Grandpoobah in Scottsdale.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have found that both will work fine... as some mentioned you dont get that "sticking"...  I still do regardless of the funnel.

Its pretty minimal though... I dont even notice it much these days.