Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier Data Analysis

PocketPistol

9 hours ago, Seanziegler said:

This is super cool. 

One thing that confuses me when trying to interpret the data: why is it that PCC has the highest average classifier yet Open has a higher percentage of A/B classified shooters 

Edit: Where did you scrape this from exactly?

If you goto https://uspsa.org/classifier-lookup/ you can type in a member number (assuming their privacy settings are not set) and see their results. Do that for a while and you can get a bunch of data... I don't have all the data, but I have a bunch of it - I don't have anything after October including the new classifiers since I stopped scraping since I got the data I wanted.

Capture.PNG.5ecc8945ac63c5fc03ba68285f72c280.PNG

My data shows that the average classifier score is 8% better on PCC. That is not weighted for the frequency a classifier is shot. I could do some analysis on that but haven't. Here are some theories based on my gut-

-PCC shooters are not the ones picking the classifiers so they are not picking classifiers to shoot that are easier (here is where weighted average would be nice)

-PCC is easier to pick up, but when people get good at it they move to open?

-Best shooters are in open and they have not shoot in PCC

-The nature of the classifier system encourages spray and pray --- if your score is 5% below your class it doesn't count. It could be that open average scores are lower because people are doing more spraying and praying, but they occasionally get lucky which gets them to move up the classifier level. 

16 minutes ago, PocketPistol said:

If you goto https://uspsa.org/classifier-lookup/ you can type in a member number (assuming their privacy settings are not set) and see their results. Do that for a while and you can get a bunch of data... I don't have all the data, but I have a bunch of it - I don't have anything after October including the new classifiers since I stopped scraping since I got the data I wanted.

Capture.PNG.5ecc8945ac63c5fc03ba68285f72c280.PNG

My data shows that the average classifier score is 8% better on PCC. That is not weighted for the frequency a classifier is shot. I could do some analysis on that but haven't. Here are some theories based on my gut-

-PCC shooters are not the ones picking the classifiers so they are not picking classifiers to shoot that are easier (here is where weighted average would be nice)

-PCC is easier to pick up, but when people get good at it they move to open?

-Best shooters are in open and they have not shoot in PCC

-The nature of the classifier system encourages spray and pray --- if your score is 5% below your class it doesn't count. It could be that open average scores are lower because people are doing more spraying and praying, but they occasionally get lucky which gets them to move up the classifier level. 

Ah yes, the spray and pray method makes perfect sense. 

This is is really great data and I have a special place in my heart for python so thanks for such an interesting post.

• 3 months later...

Recently I've been working on sports analytics course, since I'm a production shooter, I decided to do some research on the classifier system for my final project.

Unfortunately the only coding job I can do is R. Would mind share this dataset to me? I will credit the source and make sufficient reference.

I will be grateful!

email: ziyisong@outlook.com