Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New pistol for both idpa and uspsa

I'm looking at new pistols for uspsa and ipda. Being I'm going to shoot uspsa and idpa with the same guns and idpa being at the forefront  as the closest uspsa match is 100 mile away.the shadow 2 and stock 2 are out because of be illegal for idpa. I'm looking at get a pair of sp01s and adding some cgw goodies. But are there any other options that will be legal and competitive in both in 9mm?

17 minutes ago, ddc said:

Sounds like you are looking for hammer fired?

If you want to consider striker fired plastic:

1. S&W M&P 5"

2. Glock 34

3. Sig X5

I'm currently shooting a m&p 5" mainly because that's what I had when I started. Now that I'm more serious about competing I'm get a set of  competition pistols and trying to by once cry one? the steel frame guns seem to preference and I think more durable than polymer.

1 hour ago, Chrisyoung said:

I'm currently shooting a m&p 5" mainly because that's what I had when I started. Now that I'm more serious about competing I'm get a set of  competition pistols and trying to by once cry one? the steel frame guns seem to preference and I think more durable than polymer.

Yeah I can't give you much help with steel.

Finding one legal for both IDPA and Production: I would start with the guns that interest you that are on the USPSA production approved list and then check those against the IDPA specs.

As you probably already know USPSA has a specific list of guns while IDPA has a set of characteristics and limitations. You can find a gun that is production legal but a couple ounces too heavy for IDPA or other little quirky issues trying to make both rule books happy.

Good luck. Interested to see what you end up with.

SP01 Shadow is legal in IDPA SSP and ESP and might be the most gamer SSP gun right now

I'm sort of in the same boat as you but went with the P09 because it's what I had. If I were to do it over I'd go with a pair of SP01s or 75s and cajunize them

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Check out the new Tanfoglio Stock 1 imported by IFG in texas.  

The stock 1 was designed for IDPA and is good for uspsa.

Its basically a Stock 3 thats been shortened.

I recently got one and love it.

The nice thing with the tanfo guns is you could get a stock 2 or 3 down the road for uspsa and the ergos will be the same.

The CZ shadow 1 is also a great gun for both too.

1 hour ago, thx1138jt said:

I’m kinda in the same boat. Been shooting a G34 and thinking about going to a heavier gun. What about a Tanfo Limited Pro?

I've looked heavily at the tanfo line but I've decided to go with cz sp 01(my dealer got me a killer deal) . I ordered them today and going to use some cgw parts to get them right on the edge of idpa legal. I plan to do a build thread when I get the details worked out if anyones interested. 

• 3 weeks later...

No currently produced Tanfoglio's are legal in IDPA.  None.

The ONLY CZ model IDPA legal is the SP-01 Shadow TARGET 2.  No other CZ's are IDPA legal, none.

Arex Rex Alpha.  42 oz.  I shoot it, it's great.  Has a Sig feel to it.

Suped up Beretta like a Langdon or a Wilson Combat, but they are on the light side 36 ounces or so.

That is it.  Maybe a Browning Hi-Power, but that thing is way outdated.

IDPA rules make it tough to find anything.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, keonard said:

No currently produced Tanfoglio's are legal in IDPA.  None.

The ONLY CZ model IDPA legal is the SP-01 Shadow TARGET 2.  No other CZ's are IDPA legal, none.

Arex Rex Alpha.  42 oz.  I shoot it, it's great.  Has a Sig feel to it.

Suped up Beretta like a Langdon or a Wilson Combat, but they are on the light side 36 ounces or so.

That is it.  Maybe a Browning Hi-Power, but that thing is way outdated.

IDPA rules make it tough to find anything.

Good luck.

Wrong!!!

IDPA ssp legal

Tanfoglio stock 1

Tanfoglio limited pro

Tanfoglio p match pro

CZ sp01

all CZ shadow 1's other than accu shadow and target 2

CZ 75 all models 

If you go with a CZ get the shadow 91154. by the time your done adding all the CGW parts and sights you will have more money invested in a SP01. 

The shadow holds better resale value than a decked out SP01

On 11/1/2018 at 2:29 PM, je85 said:

Wrong!!!

IDPA ssp legal

Tanfoglio stock 1

Tanfoglio limited pro

Tanfoglio p match pro

CZ sp01

all CZ shadow 1's other than accu shadow and target 2

CZ 75 all models 

If you go with a CZ get the shadow 91154. by the time your done adding all the CGW parts and sights you will have more money invested in a SP01. 

The shadow holds better resale value than a decked out SP01

Stock 1 is Cone barrel and over 4.25 inches.  Not legal.

Limited Pro is legal but was told it is out of print.  Find one if you can!

p match pro is a polymer gun

There are other legal CZs  but only one of the many race guns they make ready to go.

10 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/789161912

New version of stock 1, IDPA legal, available now but I think they are priced a bit high at the moment. 

Limited pro's are still supposed to be shipped this year, they are a little late, I think they were initially looking for them to arrive mid to late summer. 

Was told by Tanfoglio directly that Limited Pro's are not being made.  Hopefully there was a misunderstanding......

What did they change on the Stock 1 to make it legal?  Have not seen that model listed anywhere.  Cone barrel is only legal in ESP if it is 4.25 inches or less.  That link shows a cylidrical barrel that is a cone barrel.  that one listed is NOT legal.

Edited by keonard

48 minutes ago, keonard said:

Was told by Tanfoglio directly that Limited Pro's are not being made.  Hopefully there was a misunderstanding......

What did they change on the Stock 1 to make it legal?  Have not seen that model listed anywhere.  Cone barrel is only legal in ESP if it is 4.25 inches or less.  That link shows a cylidrical barrel that is a cone barrel.  that one listed is NOT legal.

I called IFG (importer for the Limited Pros) about 3 weeks ago & they said yet this year. Patriot Defense posted a picture of the new LP frames (with Defiant inscribed on them) somewhere on this forum. Information flow from Tanfo seems treacherous in general. 

Text from the add below, you will find the same text on the Patriot Defense website & Ben Stoeger pro shop website and some other places if you look. Either the new and redesigned Stock 1 is IDPA legal or the Tanfo experts are running bad adds.

It is weird to change guns dramatically and still keep the same names. I think the story is that the original stock 1 was just called the stock but then the 2 & 3 came out & people started calling it the stock 1and now there is a stock 1 :) . 

"Tanfoglio Stock models line is enriched with the STOCK I model semiautomatic pistol in double action suitable for Practical Shooting - Production Division and IDPA competitions SSP and ESP class. - The new Stock I allows the novice to approach the world of sports shooting and the expert shooter to compete in divisions that have been until now reserved to few models. - Stock I has a cylindric barrel113 mm long that can get excellent results also using coated tender ammunition bullets. - The slide is equipped with new and improved serrations for easy operation. - The frame is the Stock III one: it has a longer fore end up to the slide muzzle for a better balancing of the pistol and a picatinny base for the assembly of tactical lights and/or laser devices - The Stock It weighs less than 1219 grams including magazine."

Stock I has a cylindric barrel113 mm long 

That right there is illegal.  cylindric is another name for cone.  113mm is 4.4+ inches.

From the IDPA rulebook:  T. Heavy or cone style barrels on firearms with barrel lengths of 4.25” or less.  (for ESP or CDP only, SSP cannot have a cone barrel at all)

Good to know that Limted Pro may be produced again, will keep an eye out for sure!  

cy·lin·dri·cal
/səˈlindrik(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: cylindric
  1. having straight parallel sides and a circular or oval cross-section; in the shape or form of a cylinder.
    "a cylindrical plastic container"

cone
    /kōn/
    noun

1. 1. 
      a solid or hollow object that tapers from a circular or roughly circular base to a point.

Can't find a picture with the slide racked back. 
Edited by IHAVEGAS