Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 Gen 1 or Gen 2 mags???

allamericanbp

I have 2 of each and my only mags that I trust in 40 are the gen 2’s with grams follower and TTI bases. The gen 1’s are decent but I occasionally get a round that will fail to feed getting jammed tipped up and a little bump on the slide sends it home. The MBX I wouldn’t trust in a match ever again, at nationals after a reload to the MBX I basically had a bolt action pistol, day 1 stage one I spent about 10 seconds clearing a malfunction caused by the mbx mag. Quit using them and only had one problem after that on a gen 1 shooting weakhand. Gen 2’s just seem to work 

edit to add: 

the mag catch notch on my 2 mbx mags sits noticeably higher than the STI mags which makes the mag sit lower in the frame, the consensus of the other people on the squad I talked to about it thought this might be the biggest part of the problem but it may also be a feed lip or follower issue too. 

Edited by Akkid17

I have (6) Gen 1 and (6) Gen 2 140mm tubes, both with TTI floorplates and guts, and all have been 100% reliable for me.  The only difference, is that the Gen 2's reliably hold 23rds, while the Gen 1's will only hold 22.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, MedicAJ said:

Just a quick update on my Gen 2 mags.  Using the TTI low profile follower, TTI 11 coil spring, and TTI 4mm basepad I'm getting 24rds in them.

Andy

I just put the taran low pro followers in my 40 mags. Now I get an easy 21rds in a 140mm sti gen 2 mag, Dawson snl basepad. I can load the 21st with my fingers, don’t even have to use the  mag loader, I can almost get the 22nd round. I wonder if I had a professional do it if it would be possible. I’m good with 21 though. I tested it out today and ran probably 6 full mags though it and it ran 100%. I just hate that it kinda pops out of the top of the mag

I get 30rds in my 9mm 170mm mags using the taran low pro follower, and so it definitely gives you one extra mag round in any mag you choose. The one in my 170 is actually an old bolen follower, but it’s exactly the same as the new tti. 

• 5 months later...
On 10/3/2018 at 4:00 PM, allamericanbp said:

New to the platform. Just looking at GEN 1 vs GEN 2. Or scrapping and just going with the MBX setup. Any opinions or advice? Going to run them in my SPS Pantera in .40

I have 4 sps 140mm mags and have put a few thousand or more. Straight out of the box no issues. Been using them for a little over a year now. They are alot cheaper than any other mag out there, the draw back is they wont pass the mag gauge at a major match.