Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 Gen 1 or Gen 2 mags???

allamericanbp

Gen 1 mags are crap.  I only use mine for dry fire.  I don't have any Gen 2s, but the word on these forums are they work fine right out of the box.  However, by the time you add the extra capacity base pads, you are very close to the price of MBX mags.  I've been using MBX mags the last two seasons without problems.  They run perfectly in both my 2011s.

23 minutes ago, zzt said:

Gen 1 mags are crap.  I only use mine for dry fire.  I don't have any Gen 2s, but the word on these forums are they work fine right out of the box.  However, by the time you add the extra capacity base pads, you are very close to the price of MBX mags.  I've been using MBX mags the last two seasons without problems.  They run perfectly in both my 2011s.

I bought two of the gen 2 mags last week. Went to the range twice with them now, 500 flawless rounds though then. Not a single problem. 

I hust bought some mbx 140mm mags. I’ve read a lot of good, and some bad. I hope I don’t regret it. I just figured 130 bucks for mags that already hold 20-21rds, vs 75 for the sti, 32 for base plates and another 20 for grams springs and followers. So it comes out to the exact same price, and I don’t have to mess with them. I hope they work. If not I’ll send them back and happily buy a few more sti mags. 

I just noticed you said  they’re for a sps pantera. That’s what I’m shooting. And like I said the Sti gen 2s were just flawless. I’ll  know what’s up with the mbx by this weekend and report back. 

J, you probably won't know by this weekend on the MBX mags.  The springs are very tight when new and have to be allowed to take a set before using.  MBX suggests you load them fully and let them sit for a week. You can use them after that, but leave them loaded for an additional week.  I did that.  My springs are still perfect after two full seasons.

54 minutes ago, waktasz said:

All my Gen 1 STI tubes worked fine out of the box and have neved needed tuning ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hmm, I might pick some up. I can get them for about 15 bucks cheaper then the gen 2s. I debated on this for a while but so many people said they need tuning, while the gen 2s run right out of the box. Did you buy just tubes and put your own guts in? Or full msgs? 

20 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

I bought two of the gen 2 mags last week. Went to the range twice with them now, 500 flawless rounds though then. Not a single problem. 

I hust bought some mbx 140mm mags. I’ve read a lot of good, and some bad. I hope I don’t regret it. I just figured 130 bucks for mags that already hold 20-21rds, vs 75 for the sti, 32 for base plates and another 20 for grams springs and followers. So it comes out to the exact same price, and I don’t have to mess with them. I hope they work. If not I’ll send them back and happily buy a few more sti mags. 

I just noticed you said  they’re for a sps pantera. That’s what I’m shooting. And like I said the Sti gen 2s were just flawless. I’ll  know what’s up with the mbx by this weekend and report back. 

Thanks. Please keep me posted or send me a PM.

I have ran STI gen 1&2, SV Mags and MBX some for different guns, see for the same gun. All required see tuning and tweaking from time to time. I think it's hit or miss and none of them will ever be 100% in every gun. I currently run the STI Gen2. I did replace the spring/follower/basepads made sure they worked and started shooting them. 

10-12 gen 1 mags never a problem if the springs are relatively good.

Gen 2 just traded for 2 haven't used them yet

MBX had problems with 170 and the folks at mbx didn't do anything about it expect tell me change the oal of my load

that has run out of 4 pistols without problem with sti 170 gen 1 mags.

S**t canned the mbx and went back to the sti gen 1's

I know lots of folks like them , I wanted to!!!

But after the email exchange I will pass on MBX

Hope if you choose them it works out well for you

I've had good luck my Gen 2 STI mags except for one 170 that I can't seem to keep from nose diving. I even had problems with that one when it had the original base plate and spring, I how have Grams followers and TTI base plates in all of them. I plan on just buying the Gen 2 tubes next time and go with Grams followers and TTI base plates.

So I ran my mbx mags this weekend and they worked great. I got them I think Wednesday, loaded them up and let them sit till Sunday when I went to the range and they ran flawlessly. 

So so now I’ve had great luck with both the gen 2 sti mags and the mbx mags right out of the box. I think the mbx have a slight advantage for competition because they come holding 20-21rds. For the sti you pay 75, then If you want to make them competitive you pay 32 for base plates and another 20 for spring and follower, so it comes out to the same 130 bucks that the mbx cost. And the mbx are ready out of the box. But if you weren’t planning on messing with them and are ok with 18rds, you can’t beat the sti for the price. 

It depends on what cartridge you are using. I run 9x23 with gen1 STI magazines and it seems to be the only combination that is perfect for my IPSC use.

I don't need baseplates as I am restricted to 170mm magazine length. Grams springs and followers resulted in nose dives on all of my magazines.

The cheap standard STI follower which raises the bullet nose and has no gap to the second round is perfect for me.

The Gen1 bodies are crazy solid for all my guns. I had a couple Gen2 and had issues with them and sold them. Currently I am using all Gen1 tubes with Grams guts and TTI basepads for my open gun and MBX 140mm for my limited gun. Both are great.

On 10/3/2018 at 6:29 PM, zzt said:

J, you probably won't know by this weekend on the MBX mags.  The springs are very tight when new and have to be allowed to take a set before using.  MBX suggests you load them fully and let them sit for a week. You can use them after that, but leave them loaded for an additional week.  I did that.  My springs are still perfect after two full seasons.

Mine have been sitting fully loaded for a couple weeks now...trying them out next week.

• 1 month later...

Just decided to go with 140 MM MBX mags and Grams internals for the SPS mags. Running flawless, minus the last round bolt hold open feature but I haven't messed with them yet. I just figure the 2 - 140's and the second 2 for spares will at least get me up and running.