Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shortening OAL after ammo is loaded

Bsbllrooster

Houston we have a problem. I have about 1000rds of .40 major ammo that is loaded for use in a 2011 at about 1.65 OAL. I’ve since sold the 2011 and moved to a Glock 22 that I’ve set up for limited. Obviously the ammo is a little long for use in a Glock. Is it really just as simple as putting it back through the seating and crimping die? (I use a Dillon 550)

I don’t have an aggressive crimp. The load is 4.6gr of SOLO 1000 with a SNS casting 180gr cast lead bullet.

Hoping I can just shorten em and rock and roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For 1,000 rounds, I'd sure give it a try - try a few and see what happens

to feeding and accuracy.

I'd guess that if you have a problem, it's because they're lead bullets -

you'd have a better chance of being successful if they were jacketed.

BUT, I'd sure try it out - not much to lose by ramming a few of them.    :) 

3 minutes ago, DeweyH said:

There's going to be extra pressure to consider as well.  

4.6 Solo should be a Minor load ?

Not a lot of powder in that case - shouldn't be too much of a problem,

but definitely worth passing over the chrono - good point.     :cheers:

Accurate does show 4.5gr of Solo 1000 as maximum, but it also says that the COAL was 1.120".  Thereby, there should be some room to shorten the load from the current 1.650" to maybe 1.135" or 1.140" - assuming the rounds will chamber at that length.  The 1.135" length is the SAAMI maximum for the 40 S&W.

It may be good to shorten in increments, trying in the barrel until the rounds can be chambered without contacting the rifling.  If, say, 1.150" will chamber (and fir the magazine, it may work well without worrying about increased pressures from going shorter.

I've done it on about 1000 rds of 45 (don't ask). I just seated them a little deeper to pass a plunk test.  Never a problem but the crimp was not too tight and the rounds were not loaded to max and so I wasn't worried about shaving off the coating or pressure going up due to reduced volume. The bullets were Precision.  Oh yeah, it was really boring.