Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mk7 Evo - Processing Brass

Yep, I use a die head specifically for processing. For 9mm on my 650 I'm doing the following:

1. Mighty armory decap

2. Dillon sizing die (decap pin removed)

Also in stage 2, swage-it in place of the priming system

3. Dillon sizing die (decap pin removed) because I can

4. Redding sizing die (decap pin removed)

Over kill? Yes. The dillon + redding sizing dies should be plenty. I'm already pulling the handle and already had the dies. If all is well after the first sizing die, the others shouldn't be doing anything nor adding much resistance.

So, I only have one press haha (technically a second in a Redding Big Boss II) - that said, not having the ability to have a dedicated head for processing are y'all saying I should process on one pass, then load the rest of the dies and load? Just trying to determine optimal process since it seems that tumbling is best done decapped to clean the primer pocket.

Unsure if folks in my situation unload their tool head or not. Maybe one day I'll get a second setup just for this!

37 minutes ago, rougeqc21 said:

So, I only have one press haha (technically a second in a Redding Big Boss II) - that said, not having the ability to have a dedicated head for processing are y'all saying I should process on one pass, then load the rest of the dies and load? Just trying to determine optimal process since it seems that tumbling is best done decapped to clean the primer pocket.

Unsure if folks in my situation unload their tool head or not. Maybe one day I'll get a second setup just for this!

Before you commit to decapping and then tumbling... try tumbling with primers in then reloading.  See if you experience a difference in accuracy for the loads and competitions you shoot in.

I keep primers in and tumble for my USPSA match ammo.

Like rmckinle I used to process on my 650 with a separate head with only a decapping die. Then I wet tumbled, let them air dry, swapped the head and loaded. However, I sold the 650 to make room for a Mark7 Evo and I will not pre-process....just tumble, dry and process/load in one pass. 

41 minutes ago, armedmoose said:

Before you commit to decapping and then tumbling... try tumbling with primers in then reloading.  See if you experience a difference in accuracy for the loads and competitions you shoot in.

I keep primers in and tumble for my USPSA match ammo.

+1, That's what I was getting too.

For processing I'd use a separate toolhead. That being said the only reason I'd even process would be so I can inspect primer pockets for disintegrated primers where debris from the primer would mess up the priming station.