Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC training in San Francisco area?

Hello everybody,

Is there somebody from the SF area that knows if there are any shooting range (public or private) where it's possible to properly train for IPSC (or any action pistol sports like IDPA, USPSA) ?

With properly I mean, private bay, possibility to place targets, use of holsters and no rate of fire restrictions.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, beardedshooter said:

Hello everybody,

Is there somebody from the SF area that knows if there are any shooting range (public or private) where it's possible to properly train for IPSC (or any action pistol sports like IDPA, USPSA) ?

With properly I mean, private bay, possibility to place targets, use of holsters and no rate of fire restrictions.

Thanks!

I'm from the Bay Area and I live in Reno, Nevada. Check on the Washoe County Regional Shooting Facility and you can rent a bay all to yourself. No worries. Good luck. 

8 hours ago, guns_and_labs said:

Richmond Rod and Gun Club for all but the private bay.

Thanks, but how can you train without a private bay?

7 hours ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

I'm from the Bay Area and I live in Reno, Nevada. Check on the Washoe County Regional Shooting Facility and you can rent a bay all to yourself. No worries. Good luck. 

That's exactly what I'm looking for, but 4hours drive it's too much for regular training.

Are these kind of range so unusual? I'm not from US so I'm familiar with the way people train here.

Thank you by the way!

5 hours ago, beardedshooter said:

That's exactly what I'm looking for, but 4hours drive it's too much for regular training.

Are these kind of range so unusual? I'm not from US so I'm familiar with the way people train here.

Thank you by the way!

It's the difference between America and California. Unfortunately, the laws brought forth by the residents in California have made for a toxic environment for regular gun owners. The restrictions on magazine sizes, type of firearms, and even ammunition now is just unreasonable. So... when a range is nearby, they get targeted (no pun intended) for closure. The Bay Area is especially anti-gun. It is sad. 

Good luck sir.  

8 hours ago, beardedshooter said:

They have five action pistol bays set up, ranging in size. They have regular, supervised practice sessions on a couple of them, but multiple people are on the line shooting different target arrays. I suppose if you have enough money you can rent a  private bay like the cops do, but I moved away a while ago and I don't know their current policies. A number of M's and GM's trained there, so it seems to work. Perhaps you might talk directly to them. 

4 hours ago, beardedshooter said:

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to get in touch.

And I see magazines are restricted to 10rounds? To use bigger magazines for sport shooting do you need to get a special license? Or do open shooter have 10 rounds in the gun? ?

The fallacy of the gun laws in California = they are not enforced. The law states absolutely no magazines that can hold 10 rounds. What I hear is that the open shooters come and leave from the range with the magazines disassembled. For shooters that travel into California (like a few of my friends) with these magazines, they rely on the Firearms Owners Protection Act and have a printout of their competition with them. That way if they get pulled over, they can prove they are only there to compete and leave. 

But again, enforcement appears VERY spotty if at all. A few of the shooters are law enforcement also and they don't care. 

To go a step further, when a local county (Santa Clara) decided to ban magazines that hold more than 10 rounds and required residents to voluntarily turn them in, guess how many people turned theirs in.... ZERO. Sad really. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 5:07 PM, Nevadazielmeister said:

I’m from the Reno area too and didn’t know that. How does that work out? You just show up and pay someone and have your bay? 

I don’t really like the guy that runs the main range there either though. He’s kind of a high-and-mighty f*#k that treats most people like they’re idiots or not worth his time. I’d much rather head down to the Carson Range which is free and has a few bays that are first come first served or can even be shared. Depending on what you’re planning on doing.