Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Barrel Shopping

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018781574/ar-stoner-barrel-ar-15-9mm-luger-lightweight-contour-1-2-28-thread-1-in-10-twist-chrome-moly-melonite

It is about the same as my JP barrel as far as accuracy goes, I tried 124 xtreme RN loaded 1.15" and they plunked with no issues. I also tried 125 blue bullets at 1.135 and they were good as well.

I have one of those w/ a taccom 2-port brake that served me well for a few matches before I went to an ULW barrel. Federal Syntech 150's did not pass the plunk test, but that's a FP coated bullet. If you're interested I'd make you a heck of a deal. PM me. 

On 10/3/2018 at 12:53 PM, Startingover said:

I don't know if you looked at them yet

But the faxon passed the plunk test I gave it with everything but an extra long 147gr.

A little cheaper than some of the others also. 

https://www.rainierarms.com/faxon-firearms-9mm-saami-light-tapered-4150-qpq-barrel-16/

I believe that I've read somewhere that Faxon actually makes the KVP barrels, so you will have some of the same issues on hand loads that are loaded a bit longer. For just a bit more, you can go with a JP and not have to worry about that issue. 

For what it's worth, my current KVP barrel has been great and takes 147 RN past 1.150.  I would order one again without hesitation, but it's not available in 14.5

Trying to find a 14.5 barrel is tough.  I have an email in to SI about their ramped barrel, but I'm not sure I want to modify my BCG to fit it. 

Kind of looking like JP or QC10 for a standard barrel.

Anyone running a full 16" with a comp?

1 hour ago, longbeard said:

For what it's worth, my current KVP barrel has been great and takes 147 RN past 1.150.  I would order one again without hesitation, but it's not available in 14.5

Trying to find a 14.5 barrel is tough.  I have an email in to SI about their ramped barrel, but I'm not sure I want to modify my BCG to fit it.

I still haven't heard back from Shooting Innovations yet...  Also looking for one of their 14.5" ramped 9mm barrels.

Have they replied to your email yet?

I still haven't heard back from Shooting Innovations yet...  Also looking for one of their 14.5" ramped 9mm barrels.

Have they replied to your email yet?

Nope, but they called me back and told me to email sales.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, bulldog009 said:

I believe that I've read somewhere that Faxon actually makes the KVP barrels, so you will have some of the same issues on hand loads that are loaded a bit longer. For just a bit more, you can go with a JP and not have to worry about that issue. 

I have a KVP barrel and I have some 147gr loads loaded to 1.150ish, no probbo.

Anyone have experience with QC10 barrels?  I run their lower, and love it, I imagine the barrels would be great, and also made to fit the lower specifically.

As I think through ramped barrels I have to admit I've never had a feeding issue, and I have shot a LOT of rounds through my gear. 

On 10/9/2018 at 8:42 PM, SJMPCC022 said:

I have a KVP barrel and I have some 147gr loads loaded to 1.150ish, no probbo.

I had almost the exact same load, if I'm recalling correctly, and I constantly had issues. I even had some issues with some factory loaded 115gr. Maybe they have altered their chambers to extend the free bore, I bought mine in early 2018. The issue I was having was the bullets getting to the rifling while still in the chamber - it never caused problems when firing, but clearing the last round at the end of a stage was always troublesome, and I began to feel a bit uneasy about popping off rounds that were already into the rifling, so I made the switch. I hope they have addressed the issue. 

8 hours ago, bulldog009 said:

I had almost the exact same load, if I'm recalling correctly, and I constantly had issues. I even had some issues with some factory loaded 115gr. Maybe they have altered their chambers to extend the free bore, I bought mine in early 2018. The issue I was having was the bullets getting to the rifling while still in the chamber - it never caused problems when firing, but clearing the last round at the end of a stage was always troublesome, and I began to feel a bit uneasy about popping off rounds that were already into the rifling, so I made the switch. I hope they have addressed the issue. 

Maybe I got lucky?

I have switched( at least for this lot of 4000 bullets) to a 115gr RN seated at 1.120oal. I think the next buy will be 124gr RN. The oal will stay the same.

I have the MBX barrel and I really like it, having the pinned comp already installed is a huge plus. It feeds everything and is very accurate. I use my pistol loads which are 147gr round nose loaded to 1.130 and a 138pf (130pf in the handgun)

On 10/2/2018 at 1:06 PM, Patrick Scott said:

I used email for contact when I was ordering a 14.5" with with 1/2X36tpi threading. It took a little longer, but I expected that considering they were not offering that setup as a standard item. 

Finally got in touch with Andy at Shooting Innovations...  They had a couple of 14.5" 9mm ramped barrels with 1/2 x 28 threads in stock, so I ordered one...  It should ship tomorrow and arrive later in the week.

Did you compare your 14.5" barrel against a 16" barrel with the same ammo?  Curious if the 14.5" barrel loses any velocity compared to a 16" barrel.

8 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

Finally got in touch with Andy at Shooting Innovations...  They had a couple of 14.5" 9mm ramped barrels with 1/2 x 28 threads in stock, so I ordered one...  It should ship tomorrow and arrive later in the week.

Did you compare your 14.5" barrel against a 16" barrel with the same ammo?  Curious if the 14.5" barrel loses any velocity compared to a 16" barrel.

zero.....ohhhh maybe 30fps 

12 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

No, I havent shot my 16" barreled upper in a long time.  All I can tell you is that the SI 14.5 is faster than my JP 14.5.  With the same loads the SI is about 100fps faster depending on the weather and ammo temp. 

2 hours ago, Patrick Scott said:

No, I havent shot my 16" barreled upper in a long time.  All I can tell you is that the SI 14.5 is faster than my JP 14.5.  With the same loads the SI is about 100fps faster depending on the weather and ammo temp. 

Thanks, Patrick...  I'm planning to build a complete Upper with the new SI 14.5" barrel...  Mainly for backup in case the red dot malfunctions during a match...  The next time I chrono ammo with the 14.5" upper, I'll check it with the 16" upper, too...  I'm curious to see what the difference is...  I've read that 16" long 9mm barrels are too long for 9mm minor ammo...  They actually slow it down a bit relative to a 14.5" barrel...  Who knows...  Be interesting to check it out with two barrels by the same manufacturer.