Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Barrel Shopping

Looking to build a new upper.  I currently use the KVP light profile barrel which I like, but I'm interested in what else is out there at that price point.  < $150

I'm also looking to build a heavier upper so I'm not as concerned about the weight, but I don't want an M4 profile.

Let me know what you're using and any places besides joebobs, taccom, and primaryarms you like to shop (I like all of those, but I've already looked there)!

Edited by longbeard
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pair of the Spinta stainless steel 16" barrels.  They were out of the initial run so the chambers require loading short but that may have changed.  Not the lightest or the heaviest out there but they are proving to be good barrels.

Currently they are available with both 1/2-28 and 1/2-36 threaded muzzles.

5 hours ago, longbeard said:

I currently use the KVP light profile barrel which I like,

That is the barrel I have, which I like very much, especially the weight !

If you're interested in carving out your own unnecessary feed ramp, see my feed ramp thread !

My question is... why?

If you're not trying to go lighter and are happy with what you have, what are you hoping to gain other than a $150 hole in your pocket?

That said, AR Stoner makes/made a 'lightweight' 16" barrel for under $75. It's what I started with and still have it in the safe. Was plenty happy with it other than a somewhat short chamber that most generic 9mm barrels have.

Edited by Acer2428
9 minutes ago, Acer2428 said:

My question is... why?

If you're not trying to go lighter and are happy with what you have, what are you hoping to gain other than a $150 hole in your pocket?

That said, AR Stoner makes/made a 'lightweight' 16" barrel for under $75. It's what I started with and still have it in the safe. Was plenty happy with it other than a somewhat short chamber that most generic 9mm barrels have.

For fun of course.

I have two PCC rigs.  One is the KVP with a 10" CF tube.  The other is a Taccom ULW.  I no longer want the ULW.   I won a 50% off coupon for a Coda Evolution rail over the weekend and I am building a heavier upper out of it and selling the ULW.  Not saying I want a heavy barrel. I'm just not as concerned about every ounce as I was a year ago. 

17 hours ago, longbeard said:

Looking to build a new upper.  I currently use the KVP light profile barrel which I like, but I'm interested in what else is out there at that price point.  < $150

I'm also looking to build a heavier upper so I'm not as concerned about the weight, but I don't want an M4 profile.

Let me know what you're using and any places besides joebobs, taccom, and primaryarms you like to shop (I like all of those, but I've already looked there)!

What mag system do you run? The Shooting Innovations ramped barrels for Glock mag guns are really nice

A couple years back I had the KVP light barrel.  I liked it but it needed to be reamed or I would have to load very short.  I priced out a reamer, handle and cutting fluid on Brownells.  At about the same time JP Rifles was having a Black Friday sale.  I was able to pick up one of their match 9mm barrels for just a few dollars more than the stuff I needed from Brownells.  I don't remember exactly but I think I got the barrel for less than $160 delivered.  Its been a great barrell.

3 hours ago, Patrick Scott said:

What mag system do you run? The Shooting Innovations ramped barrels for Glock mag guns are really nice

3 hours ago, Patrick Scott said:

I have one of Shooting Innovations 16" 9mm ramped barrels and really like it.

I'd like to buy one of SI's 14.5" 9mm ramped barrels, but they don't seem to sell them online (unless you buy their bolt, too)...  Their phone always goes directly to voicemail and they don't reply to emails...

2 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

I'd like to buy one of SI's 14.5" 9mm ramped barrels, but they don't seem to sell them online (unless you buy their bolt, too)...  Their phone always goes directly to voicemail and they don't reply to emails...

I used email for contact when I was ordering a 14.5" with with 1/2X36tpi threading. It took a little longer, but I expected that considering they were not offering that setup as a standard item. 

19 minutes ago, longbeard said:

I'm assuming all of the ramped barrels on the market are the same manufacturer. Rainier sells them as does Taccom and SI.

Anyone know who the maker is?

Just checked the Rainier and Taccom web sites...  Neither of them sell a 14.5" 9mm ramped barrel...  The SI 16" 9mm ramped barrel I have is a sweet barrel...  fairly light and didn't need to throat it...  and it's accurate.

Edited by RaylanGivens
A couple years back I had the KVP light barrel.  I liked it but it needed to be reamed or I would have to load very short.  I priced out a reamer, handle and cutting fluid on Brownells.  At about the same time JP Rifles was having a Black Friday sale.  I was able to pick up one of their match 9mm barrels for just a few dollars more than the stuff I needed from Brownells.  I don't remember exactly but I think I got the barrel for less than $160 delivered.  Its been a great barrell.

If you still have the barrel and want to use it with standard length loads, I can ream it for you for a whole lot less than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d be wary of any company that doesn’t respond to phone calls or emails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 minutes ago, 1911luvr said:

I’d be wary of any company that doesn’t respond to phone calls or emails.

Normally I would too, but they were recommended by several people on this forum whose judgement I trust...  and...  I already have one of their barrels and like it a lot...  and...  I can't find anyone else that sells them...  I suspect that they're just a small company and busy selling barrels.

Hello: Wilson Arms makes a nice 16" barrel for under $150. You can find them at JSE Surplus. You can load long with these as well. Only thing I do to these is turn the front sight boss off in the lathe. You could leave it on if you like more weight. I also use the KVP 16" barrel as well as the JP barrel. I think Faxon make the KVP barrel for them. Thanks, Eric

On 10/2/2018 at 8:38 AM, 11287 said:

I had the exact same issue. I went with a KVP to save a little money up front and quickly discovered that it did not like my handloads that were loaded a little longer than it was set up for. I even ran into issues with factory loads. It would run fine during a course of fire, but to get the last round out of the chamber at the end of a stage, I would have to put the stock into my shoulder and use both hands on the charging handle and mortar it out, or just get the time recorded and burn it into the berm. I swapped it out with a JP a few months back, which is probably what I should have done in the first place. Hindsight is always 20/20

Bulldog,  I routinely had to fire the show clear round out of the rifle with the KVP barrel.  I got good at asking the RO if they had my time recorded.  By buying the JP barrel on the Black Friday sale, I actually only spent about another $40 more for the barrel than buying the reamer, cutting fluid and handle.

23 hours ago, longbeard said:

I'm assuming all of the ramped barrels on the market are the same manufacturer. Rainier sells them as does Taccom and SI.

Anyone know who the maker is?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'd suggest a JP. I think it's nice being able to run anyone's ammo through mine whether it's 95 grain round nose or 150 flat point. Everything feeds great and OAL is only limited by the GLOCK-brand-GLOCK mags. 

Another vote for JP.  There was a 10% code around here before from one of their shooters.  That would get it down to $180. 

If you want to get the cost down more and can wait a little bit, I have seen on classifieds recently a few JP GC's saving another 10-20%.  Maybe another will show up.