Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Wvaughn7

CK Arms Solution or SPS Vista

I currently shoot an Open Glock 17 that I built myself with a Carver comp, lone wolf barrel, Zev Fulcrum trigger and a sideways C-More on an SJC mount. I love open but am not as happy with the gun as I was three years ago when I built it. I was looking to jump to the 2011 platform but have never handled a “real” open gun. I have been looking around at the SPS Vista and the CK Solution open gun and although I like the price of the SPS I feel like I have already taken the cheap route once and been less than pleased in a short time. That’s what you wonderful people are here for though. Between these two guns or anything else in the <$3000 range what do you recommend. Also if there is anyone around East Tennessee that has an open 2011 I could possibly shoot that would be wonderful so that I’m not dumping 3000 dollars blindly into something I am not going to like any better than my current setup. I am looking at both of these guns in the 9Major setup. 

Edited by Wvaughn7
Typo in title

You cant go wrong with the CK.  Keep your eyes open for a used gun on here.  Lots of good guns to be had for the 3k range usually.

I have two  ck open guns. U can’t go wrong they just run 

buy a CK arms frame for $250, as they come drilled and tapped, and build your own. You can buy slide kits from numerous manufacturers.

Yes, it'll take longer but you'll save money and know where it came from. that's totally dependent on if you're into tinkering and have the time

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

i dont have have an open gun but i have been shooting the ck solution limited all summer and its ran flawlessly.  I would find it hard to believe that customer service would be anywhere close to what ck would be either.  

26 minutes ago, Wvaughn7 said:

I’m not dumping $3000 into something I am not going to like any better than my current setup. 

ANY STI is going to be Much Better than what you've been shooting.    :cheers:

I bought the cheapest 2011 STI (a TruBor) 12 years ago, and still love it.    :wub:

You will NOT regret buying the CK, trust me on this one.    :) 

4 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

buy a CK arms frame for $250, as they come drilled and tapped, and build your own. You can buy slide kits from numerous manufacturers.

Yes, it'll take longer but you'll save money and know where it came from. that's totally dependent on if you're into tinkering and have the time

I actually thought of this as an option. I am an engineer by trade so have a decent mechanical background and understanding of how things work, but I wasn’t sure if the level of equipment needed to finish his frames and for a slide and barrel. I think it would be a awesome project to undertake, but maybe I should do it to a limited gun before tackling an open blaster. I can get time without a problem just wondering if I am going to be able to do this without a mill?

I actually thought of this as an option. I am an engineer by trade so have a decent mechanical background and understanding of how things work, but I wasn’t sure if the level of equipment needed to finish his frames and for a slide and barrel. I think it would be a awesome project to undertake, but maybe I should do it to a limited gun before tackling an open blaster. I can get time without a problem just wondering if I am going to be able to do this without a mill?

the frames are already finished. you have to get it shipped to an FFL. so that saves a lot of time

I would think any of the Open shooters at ORSA would be happy to let you try their guns out if you go to the monthly match. 3rd Saturdays. 

Or, if you feel like taking a drive to Middle TN let me know. We can get you set up. 

1 hour ago, Jumprun13k said:

I would think any of the Open shooters at ORSA would be happy to let you try their guns out if you go to the monthly match. 3rd Saturdays. 

Or, if you feel like taking a drive to Middle TN let me know. We can get you set up. 

I appreciate the offer and if I’m ever out that way I may contact you. I have never been to ORSA but have heard nothing but good things. I’m much closer to Kettlefoot and TAC2 in the Far East of the state and haven’t had any open shooters on my squads since I’ve been interested in a new gun. The monthly TAC2 USPSA match is this Saturday so I’m hoping they will have a couple open shooters there that will let me pick their brain. 

I have an sps Vista short 9mm major over 25000 through it love it takes all the same parts as STI ect only thing I have done is replaced the grip with STI so I could run a bigger magwel I also changed the sear and disconector for a little better triger. 

I just got a sps pantera 2 weeks who. Little different then the vista, but same brand. I have probably 700 rounds though it. I had problems with the factory mags dropping under recoil during the first range session. . Bought 2 sti mags and the gun has run flawlessly. It’s not the same as the vista, but everything I’ve read about them has been positive. Next gun I’m buying is a 2011 open gun. Right now I shoot a Glock too in 9 major. S3F barrel, carver comp, Johnny Glock trigger etc. it’s a good shooting gun. Incredibly reliable. But it doesn’t hold sand to the 2011s. When I was practicing the other day I ran the stage faster with the sps limited gun in 40, 18rd mags then I did with my open Glock with a comp and red dot and 28rd mags. That says something. I should be faster with the open gun. The 2011 just points more naturally. And the added weight of a metal frame really helps recoil. 

So ive had good luck with the sps brand so far, very limited time and round count though. But I been looking at those exact guns myself. The CK open solution, and the sps vista. If things keep going well with my pantera 40, I don’t think I’ll be able to justify spending 1000 more on the CK over the vista. But that CK is really nice looking. The one thing I’ve heard about the two is the sps uses a lot of lower quality MIM parts, that break prettt quickly. I read about a gun that had to replace most the internals at 5k. But it’s been fine after that, how much would it cost to do all that, parts plus the smithing costs. Or you go with the CK, with all high quality parts for 1000 more and most likely won’t have to do a thing for many thousand rounds. It’s a tough choice, I’m having the same debate. 

I have been following your journey with the Pantera as well and I’m aware the magazines may be an issue. The other issue with the SPS Vista is that it no longer comes with a sight so that’s another 250+ dollars depending on what you want to use. On the other hand you get a mag with the Vista and none with the CK, but if it’s nothing but a paperweight that may not matter either. The Vista also has a shorter two port comp that doesn’t look as efficient as the CK either. Right now I’m leaning toward the CK but if I can pick up a Vista around 16-1700 it would be hard to pass up.  

55 minutes ago, Wvaughn7 said:

I have been following your journey with the Pantera as well and I’m aware the magazines may be an issue. The other issue with the SPS Vista is that it no longer comes with a sight so that’s another 250+ dollars depending on what you want to use. On the other hand you get a mag with the Vista and none with the CK, but if it’s nothing but a paperweight that may not matter either. The Vista also has a shorter two port comp that doesn’t look as efficient as the CK either. Right now I’m leaning toward the CK but if I can pick up a Vista around 16-1700 it would be hard to pass up.  

Ya, I can’t imagine that 2 port plus no holes on either side is very efficient. I have a carver 3 port ( really it’s a 7 port) and it works really well. But if I didn’t shoot a decent amount of minor ammo I probably woulda went with the 4 port. Who knows maybe the 2 port is ok. I read one review on it where the guy had a smith drill some holes in the sides of it. The trlgger on my pantera is just great. Just over 2lbs, adjusting pre travel too. I bet with a few thousand rounds it will come down right around 2llbs. 

1800 is much easier to let go then close to 3000. If some mim parts wear out then it’s not all that expensive to replace. I see FCGs going for a little over 100 bucks.  . But you do have to add the optic. But atleast you start with 2 mags. Hopefully they’re better then the 2 that came with my gun. I’m gonna get mine to work though. From what I’ve read about CK you’ll get a good working gun that most likely doesn’t need tuning. That’s one of the reasons I didn’t buy an sti, I read the sps runs well right out of the box. 

i really like the CK. Its to early to say anything defensive on my sps. Gotta get some more rounds though it. Hopefully I never need to use their warranty service but idk if it’s good or bad and that’s something to consider. CK has a good rep. But I also have read only good reviews on SPS.  

I think I would have to stick with the CK. The SPS is only available in a shorty in 9mm, to get a standard length you will have to go with a 38 super. And I think CK is just all around better then a SPS. From what I remember the SPS uses a lower grade steel and needs more maintenance over time then a CK will. You might want to keep an eye out on Gun Broker, sometimes the seller has a 3 day no shoot inspection. You could dryfire with it for a day or two and if you don't like it send it back. You would only be out the transfer fee.

Lower grade steel?  in all my research on the sps, and bleave me it's a lot never once did I come across a comment that it uses lower grade steel, the fit and finish on the sps is as good as any STI that I've had in my hand I can't speak for the CK iv heard it's a great gun, is it 1000$ better than the Vista? It may be I don't know I don't own blacklab do you own a sps vista?

9 minutes ago, mro111lland said:

Lower grade steel?  in all my research on the sps, and bleave me it's a lot never once did I come across a comment that it uses lower grade steel, the fit and finish on the sps is as good as any STI that I've had in my hand I can't speak for the CK iv heard it's a great gun, is it 1000$ better than the Vista? It may be I don't know I don't own blacklab do you own a sps vista?

No I don't, a few years ago when I was looking for a new open gun I was looking into the SPS because the finish did catch my eye. I had a few people tell me they wear faster. Maybe I was mislead. I have handled a SPS and I do think that CK has an edge over them, I also think CK has an edge over STI though too. 2 of my open guns are built on CK frames and one on an STI frame. I think CK does a little better on the machining then the others. That's just my opinion though I could be wrong.

Another possibility may be a CZ. You could get a brand new Czechmate for less that 3000$ 9mm major. Hell for 3k u could get the gun, rig, mags and a nice new comp if u didn't like the one it came with.

Sorry, I know that's not really an answer to what your looking at but you may want to look at one? Perhaps take a read on the CS and tanfoglio forum. 2011's are great! Don't get me wrong, but cz and tanfoglio is also a good option and worth a look.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

almost all 1911 parts are fitted to their particular gun - the price you are paying is for their detail in work - Glock parts are completely different

9 hours ago, mro111lland said:

The fit and finish is fantastic. The slide to frame fit is ridiculously tight, as is the barrel to slide. I’m incredibly impressed with mine. The one thing I’ve read though is the internal parts being mim. Now mot all mim is bad. But still. 

And I keep reading this that the 9mm is short. It’s 5 inch barrel right? That’s full size as far as I know. And the 38 is 5.5.  I know it says short and long in the descriptions, but isn’t a 5 inch a full size 1911? And a 5.5 is basically a long slide. I know a 5.5 would be better for a bit more velocity  but 5 isn’t considered short or less then standard. The trubors ars 5 inch barrels. 

Edited by Jfitz427

3 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

The trubors ars 5 inch barrels. 

May be wrong, but I believe 5.5" is standard ….

Hey guys quick question some are saying that sti mags work others have issues so ??? Can sti or MBX mags work with vista 38 sc?  Thanks for info

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

May be wrong, but I believe 5.5" is standard ….

^^^^^^This^^^^^^ 

5.5” is standard. Same size slid as a 1911 but you have to add a 1/2” to the barrel for the threads for the comp. the 9mm SPS has a shorter slide then a standard 1911. 

Edited by blacklab