Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full custom vs factory

Acsr

Would just like people's opinion of what if any seat of the pants feel they have experienced going from a factory open gun to a custom gun?  Was the price worth it was it flatter smoother more accurate...etc? What say you

By production I assume you mean the CZ Czechmate or STI DVC. By custom I'm assuming built to order. With built to order you can specify almost any parts. Trigger, grip, safety, compensator , barrel length, etc. Respectable gunsmiths stand behind their product just like a manufaturer and if there is a problem - turnaround will likely be much quicker. With the right ammo all the above will have the same accuracy. New Open builds from anywhere may have problems but I'm sure custom builds may be more reliable on initial delivery. With the DVC do not expect a 1.5lb trigger. A trigger job will solve this. The Czechmate is the only gun built on a different platform. Hope this helps. If any of this is new you should join or vist a USPA match and talk to Open shooters. We are all nice and opinionated.

12 minutes ago, jnr88 said:

By production I assume you mean the CZ Czechmate or STI DVC. By custom I'm assuming built to order. With built to order you can specify almost any parts. Trigger, grip, safety, compensator , barrel length, etc. Respectable gunsmiths stand behind their product just like a manufaturer and if there is a problem - turnaround will likely be much quicker. With the right ammo all the above will have the same accuracy. New Open builds from anywhere may have problems but I'm sure custom builds may be more reliable on initial delivery. With the DVC do not expect a 1.5lb trigger. A trigger job will solve this. The Czechmate is the only gun built on a different platform. Hope this helps. If any of this is new you should join or vist a USPA match and talk to Open shooters. We are all nice and opinionated.

There's also the Tanfoglio Gold Team, not to mention myriad 2011s other than the STI DVC.

12 years ago, I bought matching TruBor's - the least expensive OPEN guns on a 2011 frame,

but worked over by Brazos.

Still using them - nothing wrong - more accurate than I am - 20,000 rounds down each pipe.

Besides good looks, and a lighter trigger (I'm around 3.5 lbs), not sure what I'd get with a

custom $6-8,000 gun.   I don't want a lighter trigger.    :) 

With a custom gun you get to pick any option you can afford. I would go custom over any mass produced open gun. The difference is the gun is set up to a load, spring and weight they feel works their gun the best. I did the sti route and they don’t even come close to a full custom gun. If you want a set up to fit you out of the box ready to shoot by custom ! 

I wonder where would you position the SVI IMM - it is kinda a factory gun, but it is fully custom in the sense that you select the options you want out of very, very long list.  And YOUR gun starts as a block of metal with your name on it.

In fact, I would invite anyone curious to go to their web site and try their Gunbuilder - an interesting exercise.

To be fair, I never had a truly factory open gun, but I had many built by qualified master gunsmiths, as well as the SVI "factory custom" (my term) and either one can give you total satisfaction.  The level of perfection will be reflected in the price, so you have many fine choices.  Once you define your budget, then your question becomes a more focused one.

16 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I've never shot a custom, only a factory.

Can you tell me any details on what specifically is much better on the custom gun ?

To me the custom gun was alot smoother. I shot my akai limited pistol and a sti edge I used same ammo and my akai felt so much smoother I even swapped out springs on the edge and could not get it any where near my akai that's just my opinion. There is no comparison to well fitted frame and slide . Just me careful if you shoot one your gonna want one 

4 hours ago, chase214 said:

To me the custom gun was alot smoother. 

Once again, I am only trying to understand the difference.

When you say "smoother", does that mean less recoil, less muzzle lift, more rapid

shots, more accuracy, or something else ?    How does that translate into an

advantage to the shooter ?

Would your score on any given COF be faster or more accurate with a fully

custom gun (the Akai, e.g.) ?

5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

When you say "smoother", does that mean less recoil, less muzzle lift, more rapid

they smoother  ,because they  have    "butter"    cut??

or  maybe because some pro build them.and removed and polish all burrs that standard gun have.

Edited by yigal

6 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'll try to explain how I see the smoothness issue. The guns ill use are limtied guns but it should translate the same to open. I have an Atlas Titan. I don't consider that to be a custom gun. However, it's a phenomenal gun! In therory, it should have more time spent fitting parts, more quality control and better quality parts Comparing it to something like a STI thats gonna be more of a mass production gun. 

My Titans are much smoother than all the other guns that fall into the mass production catergory, IMO. They cycle smoother, they unlock better/easier/smoother. Then triggers are usually a ton better in every way. Though, I've shot several STI and CK that had killer triggers. 

IMO, all that should give a better chance of running 100%. Does it? Not always. 

As for does it matter on the score board? I'd say assuming the gun runs, then I'd say the smoother gun probably doesn't give any edge over the mass production gun.  An example I'd use, even though it's limited, is Shane Coley beat everyone with a Glock.  Yes it's a worked over Glock but lets be honest, that's never gonna feel as smooth as a SVI!  

Now, I'll also say, I just got my first open gun. An CK thunder. It's nice.  I plan on shooting it to see if I like open. I'm sure I will. I've handled a chaos from Atlas and I can automatically feel the difference but if they both run, then I don't think its gonna matter on the clock!

Lastly, I bought the Titan (2 of them) because I was new to limited. I didn't want to struggle with tweaking this or that. I wanted one that ran out if the box!  Im glad I did it that way. I would have gotten pissed and prob little sour on the limited and now open divisions if I would.have bought a gun that was not 100% from day one!  It can happen with even the best but it's less likely IMO. 

I came across a deal in the thunder that was too good to pass up. It was from someone I trust. He said it's gtg and I got a lot of mags and two optics!  If I wouldn't have found this deal, I would have called up Atlas for a Chaos. 

Edited by B_RAD

I have never shot a 'factory' Open gun in a competition, or for any length of time.  Both of mine are custom.  Two friends have CZ Czechmates.  They both ran like tops right out of the box.  They still do.  Both are 'fast' guns, in that they make major with less powder than 2011 9mm major loads.

Four of the shooters I shoot with bought STI DVC Open guns.  Each spent six months getting them to run.  One gave up and dumped it.

Honestly, it makes no sense to me to spend $3k~$4k on a factory or semi-custom Open gun that contains MIM parts.  There is ZERO place for MIM parts in a Open gun.  If you cannot spring for the extra $1.5k~$2k for a custom Open gun, buy a good used one.  That's how I started.  I paid less than a semi-custom for a full blown custom gun (used).  All I had to do was change out all the springs for new, and work up loads for it.  If I had it to do over again, I'd do it the same way.  Until you have shot Open for a season or two, plus tried out lots of other guns, you have no idea what you will like best.  I'm two full seasons shooting both my 2011s and I'm still having trouble deciding the exact feature set for my new custom gun.

So I must be one of the rare people who bought a DVC Open and had no issues with it. When I first got it I replaced the Extractor and put in an Aftec, after the advice of a fellow open shooter. I was running Universal Ammo 38sc major ammo through it until I was able to get my 650 set up and running.  I had no issues with it, but was looking to get a backup for major events. Thats when I decided to go with a Atlas Chaos, which has run perfectly since day one. 

For me it was a night and day difference between the two pistols. The DVC was nice but you could tell that the Atlas was a better crafted pistol. I love the feel of the PT EVO grip and really enjoy the feel of the overall gun. The fact that Adam took the time to talk over my concerns and give straight honest advice has made me a big promoter of his products. I know that Adam uses top line parts and has even started making some that he feels are lacking. 

As far as the original question of flatter/smoother, I was able to get both guns very flat and smooth shooting with proper loads and testing. Now they both take different loads and thats has to do with the Popple hole in the Atlas vs DVC. 

I would actually do it the same way again and start with a used open gun. Make sure I liked Open and get a feeling to see what I like and don't like about a pistol. 

Custom is 100% the ONLY way to go.

If you are planning at competing at the highest level of Open then you need a custom gun built to your needs, grip size, trigger, hammer, weigh etc.  If you are just shooting for fun at monthly matches don't spend the big bucks for a custom gun.

It's really simple ...if you want to compete with the "Big Dogs" you need "The Big Dog Bone/Gun".  

I can't imagine a single GM that would classify less with a production CZ or STI with a trigger setup for their preference. I have 3 custom open guns and they look great, feel great and have not changed my shooting. I realize this is a big door. Don't go through it! LOL

I went with a DVC O-en and love the Gun however I have added a metal grip changed to optic and mount did a trigger job and installed a new trigger and still love the fun but looking back now that I know exactly what I want in a Gun would have been cheaper and better off having a custom built however the stock Gun was better in every aspect then I will ever be I know this is not a good answer but either way Open is a ton of fun can’t go wrong either way 

On 10/15/2018 at 4:54 AM, Luck2011 said:

this day in time the custom guns have came down in price with all of the builders making them now. I shot a Glock 17, Glock 35 and Tanfoglio Limited Custom for a while in Limited but they don't hold a candle to my Akai Limited Nitro 

I agree...Akai Agressor

Aggressor Limited 40 S&W1.jpg