Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old Single Stage Press an Issue?

jkrispies

I decided to drop this in the Precision Rifle section rather than generic reloading because I don’t think precision single stage  reloading is “general.”  Apologies if this is the wrong area.  

I have a couple ancient Rock Chuckers that I got second hand and free a long while ago.  I’ve reloaded rifle on them enough to know what I’m doing though not a ton and not to the level of “gnat’s ass” that I’d like to step up to now.  To give you an idea of how old they are, one of them isn’t even an RC2 but an original model, LOL.  

I’m planning to start reloading for precision and long distance (my range is 630yds) beginning with the .308 I currently own and then maybe something nicer down the road after I’ve learned what I’m doing both in terms of reloading and positional shooting, wind calling etc.  

From those who have experience reloading “the good stuff,” is it worth it for me to upgrade to something like a co-ax or even just a new D style press made by a company like Forster that doesn’t have as many miles on it as my old warhorses?  I don’t think these presses are excessively worn—everything seems tight—but maybe this level of precision reloading requires a level of tightness in the press that I’m not able to eyeball.  

Thanks for your input,

J

Edited by jkrispies

I load for precision rifle and other competitions on a RCBS RockChucker that's 48 years old. I couldn't begin to guess how many pistol and rifle rounds I've loaded on it in a lifetime of shooting sports. I load pistol ammo on a Dillon these days but my rifle ammo is all loaded on the green beast. It is my go to for precision loading because it is totally rigid and any rounds I load on it will be consistent. Age is virtually meaningless on the RCBS. They are damn near indestructible. Mine still produces ammo that's measurably superior to the best premium factory loads I've ever tested. If you use a high quality premium die set, that old war horse will still deliver "gnats ass" good results.

Edited by 38superman

I would go with the old school RCBS until I had a reason not to.

There's an older Rock Chucker on my bench as well.  It's not 48 years old, but I believe it's a Rock Chucker II.  I use it for rifle rounds (larger than 5.56).  It will never leave my bench.

The only reason I don't still use mine for precision loading is that I got one that I could take to the range and to matches in a small toolbox. You won't load better ammo on any other press if it is still tight. Save your money for now. 

• 5 months later...

I'd buy or borrow a concentricity gauge and take a look at your ammo.  Start w. measuring your brass dimensions; if that's out of whack nothing you do is going to fix it.    id also get comparators and measure consistency of shoulder to ctg. head for a relative consistency of sizing.  Chances are your press is just fine; if anything you might take a look at your dies that you use or your brass.