Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting my first major next weekend, what to expect?

Mattdf98

Hey all,

I've been a uspsa member since February of this year, had a couple gun changes and still getting used to some stuff but i'm getting there little by little.

I plan to shoot my first major match(GA state championship) next weekend, what should I expect going in? Is there anything I need to make sure I prepare for specifically that I may not normally do at a level 1 match?

Thanks,

Matt

44 minutes ago, Mattdf98 said:

what should I expect going in? Is there anything I need to make sure I prepare for specifically that I may not normally do at a level 1 match?

Thanks,

Matt

Oh yeah! for starters, the complexity of the stages.

Here are few tips

1) write a checklist for what you need to bring (Gun, ammo etc)

2) arrive early and walk the stages.  If you are shooting afternoon and they have morning squads out shooting, watch how they shoot it.

3) Be safe!  Don't shoot outside your comfort zone

4) enjoy the experience and write down your takeaways from the match.  This will help you work on areas you determined to be opportunities.

Good Luck!

Go early and watch how the stages are being shot.  I've seen walkthrough times as low as 2 minutes----hard to formulate a plan in that

amount of time.   If you can actually walk the stages that's even better.   Pay attention to where you are in the shooting order and be

ready to shoot --physically and mentally--when it is your turn.    Hydrate.    Have fun.

Just shot my first one as well.

-Double up the expected round count.

-Bring a cart or off-road baby stroller to haul stuff.

-make sure you will comfortably hit power factor! 

-as said above, get there early and walk stages a lot. 

-hat and sunscreen! 

We've recently had same question asked here at BE - you might search for comprehensive discussion of topic.

Chair, weather related clothing/shoes, bandaids, food, beverages, hat, extra ammo.

Watch out for extra vigilance by RO's especially concerning the 180 and finger in trigger guard

during movement.

Have fun and stay safe    :) 

8 hours ago, Paulie said:

Just shot my first one as well.

-Double up the expected round count.

-Bring a cart or off-road baby stroller to haul stuff.

-make sure you will comfortably hit power factor! 

-as said above, get there early and walk stages a lot. 

-hat and sunscreen! 

I'm very possibly gonna just bring a full case with me and take home whatever doesn't get shot(way overkill I know)

I just got a wagon today, I realized last match I shot just how much I don't feel like lugging around my bag, and this is double the stages so even moreso lol

I shoot NCshooters .40 loaded long so I'm trusting it will make power factor(I run a 6 inch gun as well so that will help cushion some)

and planning on getting there friday to walk the stages the evening before

1 hour ago, mike cyrwus said:

If you want to do well, and assuming you aren’t A class or higher; realize that you will very possibly place in your class if you keep malfunctions and penalties to a minimum. Good luck. 

I'm currently D class, though I feel like once I get a few more classifiers i'll likely be a C or B(absolutely trashed some classifiers starting out and not too hot on some lately but my latest was a 68% so I hope I can keep from butchering too many in the future) so hoping I do well for my class and shoot a clean match, just started shooting this gun again a little over a month ago and finally getting used to it

As a D shooter that tanked a few classifiers off the get go, if you shoot a clean match, you will do very well in your class. guaranteed.

You'll have to tell yourself this before every stage. make it easy for yourself. no fancy nancy stage plans. shoot it straight up and collect A's

Yep. Get those hits. Don't think about speed and time when shooting. Just get those hits.

Out of this year's matches, my worst stage placing in Division and Combined results was one with "easy" targets. I rushed and missed those easy targets. You need those hits.

Plenty of water and eats..alot of sweet / salty protein between stages keep the sugar levels up, and small folding chair.

I always take at least 300 rounds, never want to be short.

Shoot YOUR game,  don't try and follow better shooters especially when it comes to speed...wont end well.

Enjoy the whole experience, you'll meet many great people and have a good time.

One stage at a time.  Make your goal a clean match.  Do not try and chase the fast guys.  Make your plan and shoot your plan.  Make sure your mags gauge.  If possible chrono your ammo before the match.  If you have any questions regarding a stage ask the CRO in charge of that stage before shooting starts on that stage.  

I know the match is this weekend but this info will be helpful for your next match. I agree to make your goal a clean match and focus on your hits. Learn from the better shooters in your squad. If there is a GM, watch their stage plans and how they move. I've learned a lot over the last 5 years from watching shooters who are better than me. You can find out a lot of information from small talk as well. My first match I didn't talk to many people because I was unsure of what was ok and what was not ok. Most of the shooters are more than willing to give a little helpful info to a new guy. 

22 hours ago, boudreux said:

I know the match is this weekend but this info will be helpful for your next match. I agree to make your goal a clean match and focus on your hits. Learn from the better shooters in your squad. If there is a GM, watch their stage plans and how they move. I've learned a lot over the last 5 years from watching shooters who are better than me. You can find out a lot of information from small talk as well. My first match I didn't talk to many people because I was unsure of what was ok and what was not ok. Most of the shooters are more than willing to give a little helpful info to a new guy. 

I shot saturday, didn't shoot it as well as I was wanting to but still ended up winning D class, got to squad with some of the guys I shoot with locally so I got lucky there and that helped out a good bit.