Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Traveling to Hawaii

I go to Hawaii every winter in January  for my winter' survival trip, its my 2nd favorite state after Alaska. (Marlin in my Avatar was caught off Honolulu) I've looked into shooting there but haven't been able to make it happen.  The information in this thread will definitely help.  Just have to get the dates to work .  Beautiful place, great people.  I recommend a trip there at least once if you can.

This is interesting because we see this a lot with attending competitions in California, who have restrictions on magazine size. 18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms states: "Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

(Added Pub. L. 99–360, § 1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.)"

vv

That way, you can simply abide by the laws of your home state and still attend the match. What we do when we go to a match in California is we simply disassemble the magazines and lock the firearm while traveling to the match. We also bring with us proof of the upcoming match. We have not seen any arrests or any issues. 

I believe there is some confusion about registering a firearm in Hawaii. It seems that if you are just visiting, there is no reason to register and certainly no reason for a background check since you are not transferring possession/ownership of the firearm. I would read the laws as they are written and not call. If you are really concerned, talk to a lawyer in that state. 

You’re wrong 

the Hawaii law states all firearm brought into the state must be registered with the Police within 5 days of arrival

there are no exemptions for civilians and only differences between a firearm that you bring as opposed to one you get from a FFL is you don’t have the 14 day waiting period 

Burden of proof is on the government ?

I’m shooting Open so you can use my CZ Shadow 2 and mags. It’s been worked on and I like it, would like it better if I could see the sights better ?. Just bring your rig and ammo (I have ammo too).

Just now, HI5-O said:

Burden of proof is on the government ?

I’m shooting Open so you can use my CZ Shadow 2 and mags. It’s been worked on and I like it, would like it better if I could see the sights better ?. Just bring your rig and ammo (I have ammo too).

When the date gets closer I might contact you about shipping some ammo to you. I greatly appreciate the offer, but I think I’ll will bring my own shadow.  Just something about shooting someone else’s gun.....you know. ? 

I'm exhausted just Reading about this subject - I sure would not want to

ruin a great vacation to a great place to vacation jumping thru all these

hurdles.     :surprise:

I'd either take HI5-0 up on his incredibly nice offer, or forget about

shooting in Hawaii.     :) 

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I'm exhausted just Reading about this subject - I sure would not want to

ruin a great vacation to a great place to vacation jumping thru all these

hurdles.     :surprise:

I'd either take HI5-0 up on his incredibly nice offer, or forget about

shooting in Hawaii.     :) 

You’re right, it’s an incredible offer. And I’m grateful. 

With regards to the hurdles. If the gun is gone in 5 days, there are no hurdles. 

Before this thread devolves into something else, I want to take a moment to thank those who have made offers to help me out with the logistics, both publicly and via PM. It is greatly appreciated. And when the match gets closer I might collect on those offers to help. 

Again, thank you very much guys. 

4 minutes ago, Swanny10 said:

Before this thread devolves into something else, I want to take a moment to thank those who have made offers to help me out with the logistics, both publicly and via PM. It is greatly appreciated. And when the match gets closer I might collect on those offers to help. 

How about this: Maybe don't go? Maybe take your money and support a state that doesn't treat gun owners like criminals? There are a lot of other states that have competitions that are worth traveling to. By traveling there instead, you support that state's way of life and laws. 

50 minutes ago, Swanny10 said:

The OP's query has been addressed. The preaching does not belong here. If you have anything to add addressing the OP's subject, I will re-open the thread.