Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Traveling to Hawaii

I’m considering shooting the Hawaii state champs next year as a vacation. However, the gun restrictions make me wonder if it is worth my time. I believe I would have to buy a supply of 10 round mags? Also, my understanding is that a firearm that is in the state for more than 3 days has to be registered with the local Gestapo. Anyone have some first hand knowledge of traveling to HI to shoot uspsa? Preferably a Hawaiian local or someone who has travelled there for the express purpose of shooting. Pure speculation isn’t going to do me any good. 

Thanks

13 minutes ago, Swanny10 said:

Also, my understanding is that a firearm that is in the state for more than 3 days has to be registered

Unless I could rent an acceptable pistol onsite, that would be a deal breaker for me. Who goes to Hawaii for a 3 day vacation?

Edited by Flatland Shooter

So I found this on the Hawaii Rifle Association page,

All firearms brought into the State must be registered with the county police within 5 days. Aliens may bring in firearms for 90 days only for bona fide hunting or target shooting. You do not need a permit to acquire to bring your own firearms into the State.

This sounds somewhat more manageable. 

Hawaii state law prohibits greater than 10 round detachable pistol magazines(including rifle magazines capable of use in any pistol, such as the AR-15/M16, AK, M1 carbine, H&K carbine, Thompson, and aftermarket Ruger .22 magazines) unless blocked to hold 10 rounds or less and “not readily restorable.”

Buying 10 round magazines that I'll only use once doesn't sound like a good investment.  Not to mention the "other" equipment you might need to buy depending on what division you shoot.  If you shoot production, you're probably all set with mag carriers, but if you shoot limited, you'll need more mag carriers.  Vacation in Hawaii, shoot in a gun friendly state.

2 hours ago, stick said:

Hawaii state law prohibits greater than 10 round detachable pistol magazines(including rifle magazines capable of use in any pistol, such as the AR-15/M16, AK, M1 carbine, H&K carbine, Thompson, and aftermarket Ruger .22 magazines) unless blocked to hold 10 rounds or less and “not readily restorable.”

Buying 10 round magazines that I'll only use once doesn't sound like a good investment.  Not to mention the "other" equipment you might need to buy depending on what division you shoot.  If you shoot production, you're probably all set with mag carriers, but if you shoot limited, you'll need more mag carriers.  Vacation in Hawaii, shoot in a gun friendly state.

Yeah I thought maybe I could justify the mags by using them for dry fire and since I shoot prod I could still use them in comp. 

the more concerning point for me is the whole registration thing. 

Sounds like  I won’t be going. 

I go to visit family periodically and try to schedule it to coincide with a match. 

Stage designs are good at both Koko Head Shooting range on Oahu and Ukumehame Range on Maui.  As for the registration thing, I leave before the registration is required. For the magazine issue, I use spacers that are “permanently” attached. 

1 minute ago, yoshidaex said:

I go to visit family periodically and try to schedule it to coincide with a match. 

Stage designs are good at both Koko Head Shooting range on Oahu and Ukumehame Range on Maui.  As for the registration thing, I leave before the registration is required. For the magazine issue, I use spacers that are “permanently” attached. 

So what is the official registration period?

can you explain the spacer comment?

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol03_Ch0121-0200D/HRS0134/HRS_0134-0003.htm

5 days according to their laws. 

I was in and out in 3 days but it looks like they changed the time to register. 

Looks like I’ll be staying for 2 extra days the next time I visit. 

PM sent

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 10:29 PM, Swanny10 said:

So I found this on the Hawaii Rifle Association page,

All firearms brought into the State must be registered with the county police within 5 days. Aliens may bring in firearms for 90 days only for bona fide hunting or target shooting. You do not need a permit to acquire to bring your own firearms into the State.

This sounds somewhat more manageable. 

So you are only going to be there for 5 days? They used the word Alien, so if you're a US citizen, that 90 day doesn't apply. 

3 minutes ago, happygunner77 said:

So you are only going to be there for 5 days? They used the word Alien, so if you're a US citizen, that 90 day doesn't apply. 

Yes sir, Happy. I was operating off of the 5 day statement. Not the 90 day thing. 

2 minutes ago, HI5-O said:

I have 6 S2 10 rd mags if you want to use them. It’s the MecGar brand 

I will definitely keep that in  mind. Thanks for offering. Something tells me, knowing me, I’ll end up buying some for myself. The only thing keeping me from doing it now is not the money but the idea of buying round limited mags. LOL

I went to Hawaii last year and was thinking about the same thing. I called the law enforcement office in Oahu  and spoke with the person who does the registration. The law at the time was 3 days if your are a US citizen and 90 if you not. This to me is the crazy thing I have ever heard of but it is true. They also charge for registration and background check I dont remember the exact amount but I do recall it being expensive. It not just registration that they do they also do a background check as well. If your background check gets delayed your gun could end up being held by them as well until your background check clears.It just not worth it to me . Oh you must make sure as well that your gun is on the approved list of firearms. Most of them are but they do have this law as well. I would call the police station before you go and speak with the person who does all the background checks and registrations to make sure you have all your bases covered. They also have other laws about how you are allowed to transport the firearm on the island.

8 minutes ago, nbdyspl said:

I went to Hawaii last year and was thinking about the same thing. I called the law enforcement office in Oahu  and spoke with the person who does the registration. The law at the time was 3 days if your are a US citizen and 90 if you not. This to me is the crazy thing I have ever heard of but it is true. They also charge for registration and background check I dont remember the exact amount but I do recall it being expensive. It not just registration that they do they also do a background check as well. If your background check gets delayed your gun could end up being held by them as well until your background check clears.It just not worth it to me . Oh you must make sure as well that your gun is on the approved list of firearms. Most of them are but they do have this law as well. I would call the police station before you go and speak with the person who does all the background checks and registrations to make sure you have all your bases covered. They also have other laws about how you are allowed to transport the firearm on the island.

Well this is concerning. I was under the assumption it was 5days. Looks like I’m going to have to make some phone calls. 

1 hour ago, praetorian97 said:

This seems like a lot of trouble for a match.

Yeah but it’s not just about the match. I wanted to do some traveling next year. And I wanted to do some comps next year. So I’m trying to combine the two. And everything “official” that I’m seeing says 5 days. That’s doable. 

On 10/17/2018 at 1:12 AM, nbdyspl said:

Not quite all accurate. 

Out of state and coming to Hawaii you have to register firearm within 5 days of what arrives last (you or the gun). Registration requires you to complete forms regarding any criminal conviction for crimes of violence, any mental health issues, drug use, medical marijuana card holder, or anything that disqualifies you from owning or possessing firearms will cause issues. The Records section does a NICS check and warrant check which is typically quick, unless you have one. The firearm is not held unless you don’t qualify or if it is an “assault pistol”. There’s no “approved” pistol list. In 2016, Hawaii mandated person registering a firearm has to be registered in the “rapback” system which costs $42 (this is for out-of-state residents too). 

The only thing you are required to register is the firearm, don’t bring mags or ammo when registering (leave them in your room). 

Transporting requires the firearm to be unloaded, in a rigid container and only to-from, no side trips. 

Once the firearm is registered, it is considered registered in the state and do not need to be registered every time you come to visit. Also, once you pay for the “rapback” you don’t have to do it again for another firearm. 

Hope it’s more clear. 

I just was going buy what I was told when I called the police station and spoke with the person that does the regsitrations and   background checks   I have found out what the law states and how the police actually do things are two different things. The person actually told me on the phone that nics check sometimes have delays and you might have to leave your firearm there. I also remember it being expensive to do. I decided that for as many hoops as theybwjere making me do I said forget it wasn’t worth it to me 3 or 5days wouldn’t matter for me. I still don’t understand why a citizen of the US has to do any of this.  However if your not a citizen you have 90 days seems kind of backwards to me. 

My advice is to call the local law enforcement to make sure what they require to be 100 safe. 

I've been tempted to try to shoot a match on Maui many times, but all these hoops have kept me away.  

Not sure what would hold up the NCIC check.  I'm a cop and run them all day long.  Every time you get stopped and the cop goes back to his car, he's running an NCIC check.  The returns come back in seconds.  The only thing that would make it take longer is if their computers are crappy or the NCIC happens to be down.  Having to leave the gun there during a check seems weird to me. 

1 hour ago, HI5-O said:

Not quite all accurate. 

Out of state and coming to Hawaii you have to register firearm within 5 days of what arrives last (you or the gun). Registration requires you to complete forms regarding any criminal conviction for crimes of violence, any mental health issues, drug use, medical marijuana card holder, or anything that disqualifies you from owning or possessing firearms will cause issues. The Records section does a NICS check and warrant check which is typically quick, unless you have one. The firearm is not held unless you don’t qualify or if it is an “assault pistol”. There’s no “approved” pistol list. In 2016, Hawaii mandated person registering a firearm has to be registered in the “rapback” system which costs $42 (this is for out-of-state residents too). 

The only thing you are required to register is the firearm, don’t bring mags or ammo when registering (leave them in your room). 

Transporting requires the firearm to be unloaded, in a rigid container and only to-from, no side trips. 

Once the firearm is registered, it is considered registered in the state and do not need to be registered every time you come to visit. Also, once you pay for the “rapback” you don’t have to do it again for another firearm. 

Hope it’s more clear. 

Thanks hi5-0. That was useful. My plan right now is get in and out in 5. I’m already registered for the match so I’m trying to do my homework well in advance. 

46 minutes ago, nbdyspl said:

I just was going buy what I was told when I called the police station and spoke with the person that does the regsitrations and   background checks   I have found out what the law states and how the police actually do things are two different things. The person actually told me on the phone that nics check sometimes have delays and you might have to leave your firearm there. I also remember it being expensive to do. I decided that for as many hoops as theybwjere making me do I said forget it wasn’t worth it to me 3 or 5days wouldn’t matter for me. I still don’t understand why a citizen of the US has to do any of this.  However if your not a citizen you have 90 days seems kind of backwards to me. 

My advice is to call the local law enforcement to make sure what they require to be 100 safe. 

Agreed, the alien status thing seems strange and frustrating. But what can you do. Other than just stay home. Which I don’t mind, but occasionally a guy likes to see what’s on the other side of the hill.