Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

170 LG Frame Base pads Now AVAILABLE!

Apolo

On 10/10/2018 at 7:35 PM, CompleteJack said:

I had an issue, and I'm not sure how it even happened. I unloaded one of my mags, and went to reload it, and noticed I could only fit 27, so I unloaded it again to see if the follower was acting funny. As it turns out I had a round stuck UNDER the follower, in the center of the spring. In hindsight I should have taken a picture of it. I assume this occurred while I was first unloading the magazine, but I'm not sure how it could happen. Could it be that there's enough internal space inside the mag extension that a round could slip sideways around that little Grams follower? 

I'm interested to hear if any of you have had this problem with other mags, or to hear what you think might cause this. 

I have experienced it a couple times. The very first time (and only time so far) I shot my new Limited Custom. The magazines have the Grams kit and Henning +6 base plate. I do know the mag bodies are the 9-LF marked ones, but don't have any idea if that had anything to do with it. The other mag bodies are K9 marked with the Grams kit and Henning +6 base plate. I didn't have the issue with them. I have no idea if I'll have it happen again. It made it a pain to disassemble when it happened.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/10/2018 at 9:00 AM, johnbu said:

This is a "trick " i shared with Apolo.

Measure a finished round to find the largest diameter.  Then push it thru a Lee "bulge buster" on a single stage press with the empty lee makarov crimp die and remeasure.  (this is the correct way for the tapered 9mm brass)  You will find it is now  0.002 to 0.004" smaller. The smaller area will be around the base. 

It WILL NOT cause any feed, fire or extract problems. It will actually improve all those areas.

You can run the bare brass or finished ammo.

If you envision the stacked ammo in the mag, there are about 12 in a double stack (2wide by 12 tall) and the rest are funneling to the top.  reducing the size will make the "reloadable" easier and in some cases will allow one more in.

My TF 140mm extensions are 23+1 reloadable. Initially they were 22+1 and barely reloadable. The springs calmed down and i could get 23 NOT reloadable. Bulge busting, made them all 23+1 and easily reloadable.  It's a cheap, but labor intensive operation. 

I apologize for the quote, but wanted to make sure I saved this. 

I just purchased this Bulge Buster set up and sized a couple hundred rounds I had loaded up. I'm an accuracy and reliability first kind of guy so consistency of ammo figures into the equation.

I noted that out of the 9mm ammo I have loaded, a few rounds would chamber but were tight. This ammo was loaded on my Dillon SDB before I picked up my Tanfo Limited Custom. For the heck of it I started measuring some of the rounds and noted the bases at the web were .001" larger. Under my magnifier you could see the bulge. The brass were all the same headstamp yet had been shot out of 2 different 2011's and a couple Gen5 G19's (none of which have large chambers).

Anyway, the rounds that had the slight bulge were sticky in the Limited Custom barrel while doing a plunk test. It wasn't an OAL issue as this new gun had the Patriot Defense ream job as part of the package I had done. Long story short, after running the ammo through the Bulge Buster the ammo will drop right into the barrel and spin easily. 

I have read where some 9mm brass is large enough at the base to crack the carbide ring so that is why Lee has that warning on their website. I noticed that Blazer brass is all hard to size while Federal isn't quite as bad. Might just be the difference of alloy in the brass. I'll just lube the brass up and do a marathon sizing session.

Thanks for posting this Johnbu. 

^^ You're welcome! 

I used to be pretty haphazard about my reloads as I was positive they were all perfect, because they passed barrel plunk.  Then i bought a hundo case guage.  YIKES!  My ammo stunk.  Fixed a lot but finally found that the "bulge Bust" trick was the last thing to really have GOOD consistent ammo.  Roll sizing would also be a solution,but $$$$ !

Using the DIY lanoline lube works great when bulge busting.  Needs dry tumbling to get it off, but no biggie as that's what I do anyway.

I have some of the Lanolin lube but this is store bought from Buffalo Arms (resizing my really big BPCR cases) and it works slick as snot. I does make a mess but that's what my ultra sonic cleaner is for.

I'll give it a try. My presses are attached with the Inline Fabrication mounts, but sizing some of those bases will still vibrate the bench a little.

I also understand about wanting each loaded round as consistent as the next. Sorry about the off topic ramble.....