170 LG Frame Base pads Now AVAILABLE!

Apolo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Headed back from the range now, this was the first time I've shot my tanfoglio and it shoots amazingly! I ran 5 mags through the Taylor freelance without a single hitch. The only hitch I had whatsoever was one of my standard capacity mags turning bullets upwards and jamming on the first round.

without a red dot or a compensator I can already shoot this thing faster than I ever shot my Smith. The trigger is so spectacular I'm doubting whether I even want to put a Henning upgrade in there. 

And needless to say I'm putting in an order for another Taylor freelance pad and two sets of grams followers and springs.

17 hours ago, CompleteJack said:

The trigger is so spectacular I'm doubting whether I even want to put a Henning upgrade in there. 

I honestly think the improvement of going to the Henning is not the pull itself (that's more about the polishing and the sear/hammer interface)... it's the ease of reassembly compared to the factory design.  And the elimination of trigger return spring failures.  It's a better design, but, when everything else is correct/polished/optimized, the factory trigger is capable of a pull that is just as nice.  

Edited by ATLDave

6 hours ago, e-mishka said:

What spring and follower do you have in those TF pads?

Currently I have a stock follower and the included Taylor Freelance spring. 

I've ordered another 170mm pad, and 2 Grams kits that shipped today. I'll report in on them next week!

They fit 28 reloadable with Grams kits, my C-More comes in tomorrow, so I'll functions test both mags after work if it isn't snowing too hard. I'm living the 28+1 life baby! 

Couldn't be happier with Taylor Freelance, fast shipping, quality product. I haven't run these mags through the gambit yet, but if I were you I might think about getting yourself one of these beauts.

Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

On 10/3/2018 at 8:46 PM, Apolo said:

Even if there is trouble fitting 38 and 45. I'm sure if you have access to a mill or sweet talk Robbin at TF he would either mill it out for you or start making 38s if the demand is there. As a business I'm sure knowing there is a demand helps. He will listen even if it takes a little while to accommodate into his schedual. The fact that these pads even became available is proof. I had been badgering the poor guy for months for these. I'm hoping they sell so they stay available. What ever we can do to make them work or figure out the kinks (if there is any) helps us all.

I thank you for your badgering, and I thank Robin for his hard work! 

I'll definitely be sure to report in if I have any problems, so far it's been smooth sailing! ?

8 minutes ago, Apolo said:

Undersizing Die. Or one could use a push through Die like a bulge busting kit. Makes your brass have a smaller OD.

Huh, you learn something every day. Wouldn't that cause feed/headspacing issues with a straight-walled cartridge like 9mm?

This is a "trick " i shared with Apolo.

Measure a finished round to find the largest diameter.  Then push it thru a Lee "bulge buster" on a single stage press with the empty lee makarov crimp die and remeasure.  (this is the correct way for the tapered 9mm brass)  You will find it is now  0.002 to 0.004" smaller. The smaller area will be around the base. 

It WILL NOT cause any feed, fire or extract problems. It will actually improve all those areas.

You can run the bare brass or finished ammo.

If you envision the stacked ammo in the mag, there are about 12 in a double stack (2wide by 12 tall) and the rest are funneling to the top.  reducing the size will make the "reloadable" easier and in some cases will allow one more in.

My TF 140mm extensions are 23+1 reloadable. Initially they were 22+1 and barely reloadable. The springs calmed down and i could get 23 NOT reloadable. Bulge busting, made them all 23+1 and easily reloadable.  It's a cheap, but labor intensive operation. 

I have heard, though, that the moved brass sometimes closes up the extractor groove a bit.  Depending on the brass and the gun's extractor, this can cause problems.  And the potential for other people to have problems if they pick up your brass.  

I had an issue, and I'm not sure how it even happened. I unloaded one of my mags, and went to reload it, and noticed I could only fit 27, so I unloaded it again to see if the follower was acting funny. As it turns out I had a round stuck UNDER the follower, in the center of the spring. In hindsight I should have taken a picture of it. I assume this occurred while I was first unloading the magazine, but I'm not sure how it could happen. Could it be that there's enough internal space inside the mag extension that a round could slip sideways around that little Grams follower? 

I'm interested to hear if any of you have had this problem with other mags, or to hear what you think might cause this. 

I will be testing one of these this week with the Gram's follower and spring in my 9 Major Caspian open gun; I will update with results. It does, however, hold 28 rounds loaded to 1.170" with 115gr HAP when installed on a Caspian tube.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have run a couple of matches with a pair of 170mm base pads now.  I removed some material from the back of the base pads to ensure they drop free (during practice I found that would not drop freely from time to time).  They have been 100% reliable with factory followers and the springs that come with them.

They really look great too!

*memphismechanic deserves some credit here I think  for calling me out for not owning a Hundo a few months back!*

Edited by billthemarine2862

On 10/10/2018 at 6:30 AM, ATLDave said:

I have heard, though, that the moved brass sometimes closes up the extractor groove a bit.  Depending on the brass and the gun's extractor, this can cause problems.  And the potential for other people to have problems if they pick up your brass.  

I pushed 9mm rounds through a 38 super die, I think the Makorov die is larger by a few thousandths.

30 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

I pushed 9mm rounds through a 38 super die, I think the Makorov die is larger by a few thousandths.

I use the Makorov die. Processed and loaded 12000 without any sort of issue.  well other than the time on s single stage press to do it!