Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Arm extension with iron sights vs optics

YVK

I am a 70% production shooter who is experimenting with carry optics. As I am learning the new division, this question popped up. I don't know this to be a true statement  but it visually appears to me that shooters, at least some,  who shoot optic enabled pistols don't extend their arms as far out as shooters who shoot irons. This also applies to same shooters who are equally good with irons and optics - seemingly less extension with optic. I am not talking about locking vs not locking elbows, but just having more bend / keeping gun closer to the face with optic. I would like to get a clarification whether my observation is correct or not. If yes, what's the advantage of that and if it is something that's employed as a general technique or just for special situations like shooting through ports etc.

Edited by YVK

Diito, I shoot the same aggressive platform with irons or optics.  I did play with a more bent elbow "soft elbows" with optics but it was not for me.  Timers and targets don't lie,. they will tell you your answer.  But, make sure if you are  evaluating the two techniques, but sure to test it over a bunch of different drills, long, short, moving, tight shots...etc.  When I did, there was a clear winner.  

Keith

Tyler Firearms Instruction

I have noticed open shooters doing this, but not carry optics shooters as much. I don't know that the extended vs. bent arm is a correlation to the optic or to the comp. I shoot limited primarily and have recently started shooting CO. For me, shooting a limited gun with extended arms gives me a consistent index and sight alignment, and a rigid platform to control the gun. With the CO gun, although the index is important, the optic allows for a pretty generous sight acquisition. The shooting position with the CO gun is also relatively the same, largely to maximize control. 

In the end, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer for you. If you are posting faster times with more points the answer is clear. If the times and points are roughly the same, make a decision on which is the most consistent.

Thanks for the replies. I have tried various static drills like BD, or variants of EL Prez, before I started this topic. The normal full extension worked better for me. I do think that this is specifically a field course technique and I am working on a couple of things to figure a couple of suspicions out. It'll take awhile but that's where the fun is, isn't it.