Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC for STI/SVI Mags

Hello: Glock 33rd mags are $29. Magazine extension are $20-$60 each. Glock 17 mags are under $20 each. So for under $200 you can have all the mags you will ever need for a PCC. STI mags that you have will only hold a maximum of 36 rounds with the correct base pad and no one makes a 10 round base pad and spring that I know of. Now if you are in a 10 round state then the STI lower would be a good idea so reloads could be done faster or maybe IDPA also. Thanks, Eric

19 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Glock 33rd mags are $29. Magazine extension are $20-$60 each. Glock 17 mags are under $20 each. So for under $200 you can have all the mags you will ever need for a PCC. STI mags that you have will only hold a maximum of 36 rounds with the correct base pad and no one makes a 10 round base pad and spring that I know of. Now if you are in a 10 round state then the STI lower would be a good idea so reloads could be done faster or maybe IDPA also. Thanks, Eric

Unrelated to the original topic, but what setup can be used to get 36 rounds in a 2011 magazine? I had thought about a 7mm basepad on a 170, but I didn’t expect more than a couple of extra rounds. 

13 minutes ago, amccallister said:

Unrelated to the original topic, but what setup can be used to get 36 rounds in a 2011 magazine? I had thought about a 7mm basepad on a 170, but I didn’t expect more than a couple of extra rounds. 

Grams Engineering sells an 11mm basepad for STI/SV. I don't know that you can get to 36 rounds with it on a 170 because I have had no reason to try it, but I can squeeze 25 rounds non-reloadable into a couple of my old style SV 140 open mags with it on the shorter mag. 

Hello: To get the top secret 36 round magazines you have to know the secret handahske as well. Old style SVI 170mm tube. ISMI 170mm spring and wait for it------- a Dawson extended Para base pad. I also use the Para base pads on my 140mm tubes to give me 27 rounds. If you need some Dawson para base pads I should have a couple of them. Thanks, Eric

On 9/27/2018 at 8:17 PM, Blaster said:

trojan only sells complete rifles,nortic is working on lower

Is Nordic actually working on a lower? They announced it a few years ago, haven't heard anything since that SHOT announcement.

I don't own a glock, but I'd rather pay $30 or less for some glock mags to get a competent lower that is plentiful and works well instead of worrying if the lower that uses $100 mags will work or not. 

Edited by Matt1911
  • 5 months later...
On 3/17/2019 at 1:41 PM, CalTeacher said:

Maybe Nordic is realizing the futility of a 2011 mag based PCC

Recieved this today from them..

We’re currently waiting on a run of the Delrin filler for the magwell insert, but there should be some of these available within the next few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2019 at 8:04 AM, tha1000 said:

Taking the pickiest firearm platform and combining it with the pickiest type of magazine seems like a recipe for never finishing a stage...

Sorry to resurrect an older thread but that's pretty damn funny.  Mainly because there's much truth in it.

STI mags are so overpriced, need tuning and expensive parts that I rather have PCC with Glock magazines. 

Well I am only buying new springs for STI mags and 3D print followers and basepads, but still..

Yeah I am cheap.

I understand being invested in STI magazines already and wanting a rifle that uses them, but I don't see the harm in a Glock magazine lower PCC besides needing to spend a bit more on extra mags you don't already own. As another mentioned; Glock magazines are very cheap compared to STI/any 2011 magazine and in the PCC world, the Glock has better capacity capabilities over the STI with the wide array of base pad extensions available. Just get a few 33rd sticks with some MBX mini/mega or Taylor Freelance Goliath's and hit the range for like $200 less than an STI 170mm mag.

You say you don't own a Glock or want to, buying that magazine for a PCC doesn't meant you're obligated to buy a Glock 😛

On 4/9/2019 at 6:17 PM, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

Were you using a 1911 or 2011 STI?

2011.  Used the 'para block' to cover the frame ramp and it worked well.  No idea if any of that stuff is available anymore, but at one time Dawson had a kit with a big basepad and Arrendondo insert and so on that would get 34-ish rounds. 

I drug it out to a match and shot 100% on a classifier with it in PCC, so it's perfectly capable, except maybe for lack of parts.   I could holster it in a race holster just for the hell of it.

On 3/19/2019 at 11:04 AM, tha1000 said:

Taking the pickiest firearm platform and combining it with the pickiest type of magazine seems like a recipe for never finishing a stage...

A friend of mine bought a trojan pcc last year and boy it gave him lots of problems. Now he shoots JP pcc and he is very happy with it.