Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex Razor 1-6

I've got the bug to get a Nightforce NX8 1-8, but I will need to move my Razor first.  Whats a fair price on a used, but not abused Razor 1-6 HD? Also have a Larue SPRU QD mount for it.

Any ideas?  Or would I be making a mistake to make the move? 

I took a long range class yesterday and I could have really used another 2X......

It really depends on what you’re going to use it for.  The Razor has arguably the best 1x of any scope out there, with the biggest eye box .  The NX8 has probably the smallest eye box of any scope i’ve used.

If you’re shooting 3 gun, then I think the Razor is better. 

20 minutes ago, CharlieD said:

It really depends on what you’re going to use it for.  The Razor has arguably the best 1x of any scope out there, with the biggest eye box .  The NX8 has probably the smallest eye box of any scope i’ve used.

If you’re shooting 3 gun, then I think the Razor is better. 

Yeah, it would be used for 3gun 99.9% of the time.  I wish the Nightforce would have been mounted on a rifle, so I could have tested it better.

You need two different uppers Trace, one for 3 gun and another for longer ranges. Trying to make one rifle do it all is a losing game. At the very least two different optics setups in QD mounts.

Edited by TonytheTiger

13 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

You need two different uppers Trace, one for 3 gun and another for longer ranges. Trying to make one rifle do it all is a losing game. At the very least two different optics setups in QD mounys.

Especially if your running a 16" tube right now.  Longer would be better for long range.  I know it would be a shame to build a new upper and all...

25 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

You need two different uppers Trace, one for 3 gun and another for longer ranges. Trying to make one rifle do it all is a losing game. At the very least two different optics setups in QD mounts.

I really don't care anything about PRS.  I just want the best scope (within Cop salary) possible for 3gun.  What helped this happen was I shot horrible prone for the 100 yard zero.  Wasn't ever happy with my group.  Shot steel out to 600 fairly well.  Couldn't hit anything at 700 or 800.  Got behind a friend's 6mm Creed with 4-14 NF and knocked the crap out of the 800 yard steel 3 rounds in a row.  Loved the reticle too.

If you want a cool new scope go for it, no one will talk you out of it. But you probably won't get anyone to say that a great 1-8x will measurably increase your scores over a great 1-6x at typical 3 gun distances with the generously sized targets we shoot.

On 9/28/2018 at 6:27 PM, RangerTrace said:

James Gill is a good friend of mine and I ran this question by him.  He said keep the Razor and buy more bullets........

He's right. And I bet he's picky about scopes seeing as how he only has 50% of his eyes.

It takes some getting used to. It is not as big of a deal as some make it out to be. I will be adding a razor red dot at 45 next for open division.

8 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

How does the 1.5 do at close targets?  Meaning pistol bay range?

• 2 weeks later...

I have both, and I really wanted to make the switch to the NF for 3 gun, but the eye box on the razor is just too good. The extra 2x is nice but not enough to make up for the Eyebox. Keep the razor IMO

A really like my Razor. I have at times wished I had a little more X but the glass is awesome. Wouldn't it be great to have a 1-8X Razor with the same huge eyebox. Probably not possible, just wishful thinking.

21 minutes ago, joelpend said:

A really like my Razor. I have at times wished I had a little more X but the glass is awesome. Wouldn't it be great to have a 1-8X Razor with the same huge eyebox. Probably not possible, just wishful thinking.

Only if they made it in FFP, definitely don’t want a 8x SFP.  

5 minutes ago, CharlieD said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with a 8x SFP. Most targets that you're going to be using 6x on 8x would work but better more often than not.

10 hours ago, Garmil said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with a 8x SFP. Most targets that you're going to be using 6x on 8x would work but better more often than not.

I would much prefer have the option to choose magnification and not forced to use the 8x.  The reduced field of view can have you hunting for targets that are spread out.

19 hours ago, CharlieD said:

I agree. I have messed up in a match before not remembering I had sfp and need to be at max magnification for holdover to work.

Tony talked me into the c-more variable scope when it was on sale. Best scope I’ve used to date. I’ve played with many vortex scopes and a couple of low power NF scopes and see no benefit at all. I don’t think it’s worth buying being that you already have a razor but if I was in the market I’d get the c-more again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've looked through a Bushnell 1-8x FFP, and it confirmed my thought that the reticle sucks on on 1x with a FFP.  In a precision rifle, yes, FFP all the way, but for 3gun I think SFP is the answer.