Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for Limited and ESP platform

Linkscoach

I’m looking for ideas for a pistol that I can shoot in limited minor and ESP. I’m looking for something that is not polymer and either SA or SA/DA. I shoot mostly for fun so I’m willing to make some compromises on the pistol. In other words it doesn’t have to be the ideal pistol for either class as long as its legal for both.

Oh, no 2011’s either. I would like to keep the cost down and the price of 2011 magazines scares me. 

Edited to correct the title to ESP.

Edited by Linkscoach

1 hour ago, Jim Watson said:

Sure sounds like a CZ or TZ. 

I was all set on a Shadow 2 until I realized it was overweight.  TZ=Tanfoglio?  Any particular model that would fit better than others?  Stock 2 seems to be the most popular but it looks like Stock 3 meets weight also.

I probably should have clarified above that I'm currently shooting single stack.  I would really like to get away from that platform for a while though. No particular reason, just looking for a change.

10 hours ago, Linkscoach said:

Oh, no 2011’s either. I would like to keep the cost down and the price of 2011 magazines scares me. 

don't be scared!!!  but yeah they're like 3x or more glock mag prices.  but buy once and cry once, not like you need new ones every match or even every year.

11 hours ago, Linkscoach said:

28 minutes ago, davsco said:

don't be scared!!!  but yeah they're like 3x or more glock mag prices.  but buy once and cry once, not like you need new ones every match or even every year.

The 2011 mags are certainly durable and we are talking IDPA here, you only need 3!  For that matter you could just buy extra basepads and internals and those same 3 mags would get you through pretty much any USPSA stage.  The mags are far from where the money gets eaten up when talking about 2011 platform guns.

I've been thinking I need an STI Marauder, or similar for a bit now and that would be a great ESP/Limited gun.

Tanfoglio limited pro or CZ SP 01, I know you said no 2011, but that would be the ticket if you can consistent slide lock with the mags.    Inconsistent slide lock is the weakness of the 2011 for IDPA, although 9 is better than 40.  

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, palmetto said:

Look at the Beretta Elite LTT. Amazing pistol, and if you get the trigger job it is hard to put into words how great it is.

That actually wouldn’t be a bad choice. Super reliable, inexpensive magazines, accurate. And I’m pretty sure I still have several plus two mecgars and a holster shell around here somewhere. 

38 minutes ago, palmetto said:

3aefe7f5f0506d9d06b9f52f01a68bc2.jpeg

I love mine. The stuff Langdon got Beretta to change are things he knew from years of shooting them.

92fce393c43337e1310c3a28e5980647.jpeg

I actually took a class from Langdon this last summer. He shot his personal LTT that day. This was before they were available for purchase but after they were announced. I didn’t get to shoot it but did get to handle and dry fire it a bit. I really liked the balance better than the BrigTac and better than the Centurion I shot for the class. And his trigger set up is very smooth. 

I have two issues with Berettas though. The first is the trigger breaks a long way back for me. I have a lot of rounds through TDA Sigs and it’s a hard thing for me to get used to. The other thing is fixable but not ideal. The oversized Wilson mag release is too big and I inadvertently drop magazines with my weak hand. The standard Beretta extended release fixes this but is a little bit of a compromise getting to the mag release and not breaking my grip. Not a huge deal though. 

Ive decided to hold off on buying anything for the moment. I’m in a little bit of a slump with my shooting and don’t really want to try to fix it by buying new gear. On the other hand I feel like finally dumping Glocks as my primary carry and game pistol might give me a bit of a spark. 

I'm leaning toward taking a short break from shooting and hitting it again in a month or two. Maybe this will give me a little perspective and a fresh look at things. 

On 9/27/2018 at 7:58 PM, Linkscoach said:

I’ve always wanted a 2011. I absolutely love how they handle. I just don’t know if I can handle forking over $100 for magazines. And I don’t shoot just IDPA. I would want 5 magazines minimum. 

For IDPA, you only need the 126mm mags.
New they are ~$75/ea
It's the 140mm mags with the competition base pads, and followers that'll run you $125/ea+

Looking at the prices of CZ's, they are almost up there with STI's

The price delta after you buy everything will likely be under $300, if you can find a used eagle(bushing barrel, short dust cover)

(As someone who has changed platforms three times after winning a state match or two in SSP MA then switching to USPSA)

I went 34 => M&P => Tanfoglio => Walther Q5. Plenty of experience here.

Stick with your Glocks.

Switch only if (1) You want a fresh change just for fun and (2) if you’re okay shooting worse than you currently do for a few months.

A new gun won’t ever make you better. Hopefully it motivates you to practice hard - because that will make you better.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Tanfo stock 3 in 10mm with a lightweight guide rod is supposed to come in at 42.6 ounces, 40 should be ok also, 9mm is too heavy for IDPA.

If I didn't already have a stock 2 in 40 (not IDPA legal) I would buy a stock 3 in 40 (probably IDPA legal but I would make sure on weight and dimensions first). Light loaded 40 is great for shooting IDPA or limited minor or production minor, but I would probably shoot limited major with it just for the scoring advantage. 

1 hour ago, SWprotected said:

2011 magazines are not cheap but they hold up well and if you keep an eye out you can pick used ones up for a decent price.

Realistically, no matter what you do, shooting is not a cheap sport.