Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It’s been asked before but I’ll ask again 24or26

sheepdog566

I just received my Roth performance shotgun but they shipped a 24” rather than 26”. No worries Roth said they would make it right. I threw up the 24” and it feels pretty quick, but usually shoot a 26” with a 12 round tube. Anyone have a preference with positive or negatives for both. What are most the big shots using these days.

1 hour ago, TonytheTiger said:

You're right, it has been asked. None of the other threads have a conclusive answer and neither will this one, because it doesn't matter at all.

Yep, I think this is the best answer. It all depends on what you like.

I haven't tried it yet, but from reading a lot about shotguns, it seems that

The Biggest Problem with shotguns (time waster) is reloading.

So, the best approach would be to have a lot of shotshells in the gun to

start with - therefore a very long tube.  Since you save time by not

having to shove so many rounds into the tube on the clock.

If you have a very long tube, may as well also have a long barrel ? 

Can't imagine there's much advantage or disadvantage to the

length of the barrel, per se, but the length of the tube is Very

Important.

I might be missing something here ??

6 hours ago, sheepdog566 said:

Guess I’m nervous about keeping the 24 and not liking it, but it does feel quicker. I think the shorter barrel would also help in barrel dumps. That is if I take off the plus 2 and run a 10 round tube.

A 10 round magazine is still longer than a 24" barrel, and not a problem...but I'm  thinking you will really like the 12 rd capacity (unless your matches include a lot of tight spots to get into/out of)

M2barrelexp_zpsdd500f88.jpg

6 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I haven't tried it yet, but from reading a lot about shotguns, it seems that

The Biggest Problem with shotguns (time waster) is reloading.

So, the best approach would be to have a lot of shotshells in the gun to

start with - therefore a very long tube.  Since you save time by not

having to shove so many rounds into the tube on the clock.

If you have a very long tube, may as well also have a long barrel ? 

Can't imagine there's much advantage or disadvantage to the

length of the barrel, per se, but the length of the tube is Very

Important.

I might be missing something here ??

Isn't the gun to be loaded to 8+1 to start no matter how long your tube is? Everything I have shot only allowed 9 in gun to start.

So, no matter what you are going to have to load how ever many rounds you shoot (over 9) on the clock.

8+1 is a pretty standard start condition for limited and practical, or whatever it's called now. But being able to fit 12 in the tube is a big deal and opens up stage plans immensely. There's nothing worse than unavoidable standing reloads in front of an 11 target array.

First off (perhaps not for the OP) you want a +9 tube to hold 12+1.  That way if there is movement prior to engaging targets you have time to drop 4 shells in en route.  We heard the Task Force Dagger Match would have a 9 round tube limit but it was 9 to start, not max capacity.  Blue Ridge may still have that limitation.

Secondly, I believe there is an advantage to a 26" tube in velocity AND patterning.  How many percent gain in each of those I do not know but the guys running the Saiga's run much tighter chokes and generally hotter loads than guys with longer tubes for the same target array.  Part of the hotter load for Saiga's maybe to cycle the gun properly but there is also a velocity loss with the even shorter tubes on there.  There are top level competitors using both (plus Saiga's).  The shotgun is not the most quick indexing platform.  I will only do 26 personally but if my little girl needed something lighter etc I would consider it a 24.

Indian>Arrow but I used to shoot a lot of clays and those guns run 28-32" tubes, I feel for best ballistics, at least for that game.

Post pictures of your gun!  I imagine the port is pretty amazing!

Sold my sporting clays gun to buy my first benelli m1. Went with 26” just in case I wanted to go out and shoot a round of clays. Usually shot 30”+ barrels in clays guns because I thought they swung smoother. Decided to stick with the 26” just in case I go shoot clays, but I sure liked the quickness of the 24”.

26"........Because thats what my dealer had in stock when I needed one.LOL

Seriously, It really doesn't matter as Tony said. I have used 21" M2, 28" Rem 1100 and 26" M3000. All were just as good as I needed. The barrel length was never an issue with any of them. There are more important considerations.

I'm a fan of the 26" with light mod choke so much that I put loktite on the choke. 

The biggest gain you'll see from running a shotgun better is the ability to reload quicker than everyone else, so practice, practice, practice. 

On 9/27/2018 at 8:55 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

I think that varies from range to range.

But, Yes, if you're limited to only 9 in the gun I'd go for a shorter barrel.    :) 

I was only responding to this quote "

"So, the best approach would be to have a lot of shotshells in the gun to

start with - therefore a very long tube.  Since you save time by not

having to shove so many rounds into the tube on the clock.".

To start with you get 9 no matter what tube or barrel you have.

I have a 12 round tube on a 26" for the reasons Tony the Tiger pointed out.

I have a 21", 24", and a 26" all from Roth. Personally, I prefer how a 26" feels in hand compared to the other two. I have an 8rd tube on the 21" in case I feel like shooting Blue Ridge again, the 10rd monotube on the 24" because I robbed the +2 extension for the 10rd monotube on my 26". I've shot the 24" and 26" the most, shooting both of them well in competition, and I honestly only prefer the 26" for added little bit of weight out at the end of the gun.

• 4 weeks later...

Completely agree with what others have said that it doesn't matter one bit. I would pick whichever fits you the best and run with it. I ran a 24 inch and never felt like I needed to change anything.