Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot Choices

RustedFrog

I think I've used every dot out there, starting with a Beven ruggedized Docter in the 90s.  I use the FFIII exclusively now.  I prefer 8moa dots for CO and PCC at the distances we shoot, and they've held up as well or better than everything else I've tried.  I have a list of demands and the Burris checks all the boxes.  Battery is accessible without removing optic, repeatable clicks for adjustment, manually set brightness, full off position, decent lens clarity.

I've had two issues with a Burris, neither of which resulted in an unshootable dot.  One was the window over the emitter coming loose, and the other was the button becoming increasingly difficult to use.  In both cases I sent the dot in and received a brand new one a week later.

In my experience, and seeing other high round count shooters, all dots will fail.  It's easier to have spares when they're $200

On 1/2/2019 at 12:37 PM, MstngLX50 said:

I think I've used every dot out there, starting with a Beven ruggedized Docter in the 90s.  I use the FFIII exclusively now.  I prefer 8moa dots for CO and PCC at the distances we shoot, and they've held up as well or better than everything else I've tried.  I have a list of demands and the Burris checks all the boxes.  Battery is accessible without removing optic, repeatable clicks for adjustment, manually set brightness, full off position, decent lens clarity.

I've had two issues with a Burris, neither of which resulted in an unshootable dot.  One was the window over the emitter coming loose, and the other was the button becoming increasingly difficult to use.  In both cases I sent the dot in and received a brand new one a week later.

In my experience, and seeing other high round count shooters, all dots will fail.  It's easier to have spares when they're $200

I ran through 4 of them in 3 months.... for some reason, I kept having the small piece of glass in front of the emitter flying off during live fire.  3 of them did that around 100 to 500 rounds.  1 lasted for a long time nearly 6k round until the dot randomly disappears then reappears every few seconds even in dry fire.  Burris does send back brand new ones very quickly.  I like that. 

I like a BFF3 for 22 pistols or rifles. I don't think they are resilient enough to withstand an open gun. I think they will all eventually break though I'd like to send one back as little as little as possible. 

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a FFIII,  for an XDM OSP and a Ruger,,, 
Fought with it at my desk under a magnifying lamp, and plenty of light for about a half hour trying to get the battery installed before I gave up,,, the cover is partially blocked by the hood so you cant get the cover down straight with anything. You have to come at it at an angle..  Looks like it only has one or two threads as well. Was noway I could get it to start aand not be cross threaded. If it was that much a PIA at my desk I couldnt imagine ever getting a battery in it at the range.
Returned it to Midway and gave it a rightly deserved 1 star for a really poor design. 
So far so good with the Viper.

I’m using 2 FF3’s and like them. I just put one on my Ruger PC Carbine. I think Burris and Vortex are the only ones with an unconditional lifetime no BS warranty and that was important to me. I also wanted one that had an accessible battery without having to remove the unit.

Big fan of the C-More slide ride.  Big window and very bright dot.  I have 12 MOA dot modules on both my Steel Challenge Volquartsen and on my STI Steel Master.  Both are mounted on 90 degree horizontal mounts to get the dot as low to the slide as possible.  Since I've got way more years shooing iron sights than dots, for me, the horizontal mount makes picking up the dot much faster.  I'm sure I could learn to pick up the dot on a standard mount, but why??  With the horizontal mount, when the gun comes up the dot is just "there".