Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HELP: Front sight blade width/color?

thegeneric

I'm new to everything and have my first match this weekend. Shooting a shadow 2 in production with currently stock sights. 

After shooting around 300 rds and pushing my sight acquisition speed to my limit I turned my attention to a crap Taurus Millennium 24/7 in .45 that I was function testing for someone else. The sights had 3 huge white dots and practically no space on either side of the front sight

For whatever reason, I felt like my sight acquisition speed was considerably faster, from the draw and during transitions. With the Shadow's thinner blade, finding my windage adjustment seemed more challenging, and I couldn't always call my misses correctly.

I don't have that much experience with competition style sights, but everytime I've used them in the past, it just seems to slow me down. I have no problems hitting 75 yard targets with box stock crap sights on any gun, so the precision that is supposed to come with a thinner front sight doesn't seem to be something I need. 

What are the primary downsides using a wider (widest?!) front sight? Id prefer to have a 6 o'clock point of aim, does that lessen the disadvantage of not being able to see as much of the target?

Should I just keep practicing with my current setup until I'm proficient? 

Also, while I'm at it, is the color of the fiber optic rod just a personal thing or are there known advantages of one over the other?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Edited by thegeneric

2 hours ago, thegeneric said:

everytime I've used them, it seems to slow me down. I have no problems hitting 75 yard targets with box stock crap sights on any gun, so the precision that is supposed to come with a thinner front sight doesn't seem to be something I need. 

WOW.   If I could hit 75 yard targets with yellow crayons, I'd just keep using yellow crayons.

Might be something to do with ageing eyes …  are you in your 20's ?

For me, thinner is much better - and I like a green FO on the top of it.

I guess when I was young (think Jurassic) the thicker might have been

better, but I can't remember back that far.     ?

On 9/26/2018 at 9:06 PM, thegeneric said:

I just hit 30 and don't have eyesight issues. Anyone have yellow crayon recommendations for me?

I'm in the same boat as you, shadow 2, stock sights. I'm tempted to get a few more widths from Dawson and then experiment on going wider.

A wider front sight moves the iron sights to a much more binary aligned/not-aligned indicator system from the finer control that a much thinner sight blade offers. For me, I suspect that I am over aiming many times and this may help.