Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to the sport and looking for advice on an open setup.

Vikhyat

Hello all,

I've recently gotten into shooting USPSA and 3 gun, and after having a few "outlaw" matches under my belt at my local club, I've decided to put forth some effort and focus on these, so I dove off the deep end and picked up a Czechmate. Now I need to get a setup together to run it. I'll be shooting in Open and from reading the discussions here, various other forums, and asking people at my local club, I've mostly settled on a DAA Alpha-X Holster and belt. Now, where I'm not so sure, and having more difficulty finding information is on how to load it out with magazine pouches. I'm going to primarily be focusing on USPSA, though I will still be doing some local 3 gun matches as well. Considering this, is it worth it to go with a setup like the DAA Alpha Rail system so I can easily remove the 3 gun mag pouches when just running USPSA or would people just recommend manually re-configuring it as needed? Or is it something I should be looking at making two different, dedicated setups for?

Also, what mag pouches do people recommend? Should I stick with DAA, or is there another setup which would work better? If sticking with DAA, what are your opinions of the various pouches (Alpha-X vs race master vs racer)? Is it worth paying extra for the Aluminum mag pouches over the plastic racers?

Final question, and possibly the most important since I'm new to this, what did I miss asking that those of you with experience can think of?

-Josh

2 minutes ago, Vikhyat said:

what did I miss asking that those of you with experience can think of?

I didn't see anything at all (Might have missed it) about :

1.  reloading equipment

2.  chrono

VERY Important in OPEN to have both    :) 

Good luck with it, hope you enjoy it as much as I have .

9 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I didn't see anything at all (Might have missed it) about :

1.  reloading equipment

2.  chrono

VERY Important in OPEN to have both    :) 

Good luck with it, hope you enjoy it as much as I have .

Yep, my post didn't have anything regarding reloading or chrono, though I do have both from previous shooting experience. It'll be my first time reloading 9mm Major, but there seem to be plenty of topics that I've been reading through on that and am pretty sure I've got that end squared away information wise, just need to start working up and testing loads once I have the pistol in hand. My main idea with this was more for the setup for actually running in the matches, since that's where my experience and knowledge most noticeably falls short, other than the actual execution ?, though I've picked up a couple of Stoeger's and Anderson's books to help get me pointed in the right direction there as well.

Thanks for the advice!

I suggest setting up a different belt for 3 gun, changing back and forth is a pain.  I'm not familiar with the different levels of DAA pouches, but as long as they hold the mags securely I don't think it makes a difference, a fully loaded big stick has a tendency to bounce out when you run.

I run DAA Racer pouches.  Never saw the need for the more expensive Aluminum pouches.  The DAAs apply pressure to the back of the mag, and the pressure is adjustable.  My mags, including the big stick, never fall out no matter what.  They are still quick to draw.  The newer ones come with the Glock spacers in the package.  If you buy older stock you have to ask for them.

I run one color coded belt for each gun I shoot.  It is easier than reconfiguring, and you don't have to remember to do it.  If you pick the right color belt you show up for the match with all the correct stuff exactly where it is supposed to be.  The only exception to that is my 2011 belt.  All three guns fit in the same Alpha-X block, and the mags are the same.  So there is no reason for additional belts.

21 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

I suggest setting up a different belt for 3 gun, changing back and forth is a pain.  I'm not familiar with the different levels of DAA pouches, but as long as they hold the mags securely I don't think it makes a difference, a fully loaded big stick has a tendency to bounce out when you run.

Which pouches do you use? Have you had the mentioned problem of the big sticks bouncing out while moving with them, or is it something you've seen that's a problem with other pouch designs? If the second, what were those so I have an idea of what to avoid? (Assuming it's not a universal problem, of course.)

20 hours ago, zzt said:

I run DAA Racer pouches.  Never saw the need for the more expensive Aluminum pouches.  The DAAs apply pressure to the back of the mag, and the pressure is adjustable.  My mags, including the big stick, never fall out no matter what.  They are still quick to draw.  The newer ones come with the Glock spacers in the package.  If you buy older stock you have to ask for them.

I run one color coded belt for each gun I shoot.  It is easier than reconfiguring, and you don't have to remember to do it.  If you pick the right color belt you show up for the match with all the correct stuff exactly where it is supposed to be.  The only exception to that is my 2011 belt.  All three guns fit in the same Alpha-X block, and the mags are the same.  So there is no reason for additional belts.

It seems like the consensus is that multiple belt setups is the way to go, I definitely like the idea of color coding them for easy recognition. Thinking some more on it, a qd setup like DAA's Alpha Rail system would likely still require changing how things are mounted to the plates anyway, since you'd be carrying a different load-out and have to factor in the mag pouches for rifle/shotgun as well on three gun. Seems like I'll be looking to grab two belt setups for now. And thanks for the input on the racers, from looking into them a bit, it seemed like they would be plenty sturdy, but it's always good to get some confirmation that your thinking's going in the right direction.

-Josh

I have 2 DAA belt setups. One for USPSA with 3 race master pouches, 1 magnet and a race mast holster. My 3gun belt is set up with 3 race master pistol pouches, 3 shotshell caddies and 2 AR mag pouches with a  race master holster. All the caddies and mag pouches are on the DAA alpha rails so I can set up my belt for each stage as needed. You do have to watch the alpha rails though. They are made of plastic and I did manage to break 2 so far but they do work good. 

• 1 month later...

Is there any way to fit an Alpha-X or Everglades MRH to an ELS fork?  I'm currently running two rigs, one for 3-Gun and one for USPSA/SC.  I have a less expensive single layer RHT on the USPSA/SC rig and a dual layer RHT on the 3-gun ELS Rig.  I don't really want to buy two $200+ holsters so I'm trying to see if there's a way to swap the holster from belt to belt.

• 1 month later...

I like to echo the guys that say run separate belts.  I take it one further, I have separate range bags for each sport and caliber.  I have the 3-gun bag with holster and pouches, set for 3-gun, then you have your open set-up, but what if you want to drop back and shoot limited, so you need that bag and gear.  Fun steel is another, different set-up because you don't need big sticks, oh and lets not get started on PCC..