Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Input on a couple of practice 9mm remanf sources

TroutBear

No, I do not yet reload - research has pointed my to Redding as where I want to start but that's a 2019 goal.  Secondly, the practice I am referencing is me working to gain basic personal skills with a HK P30 9mm; I've like to explore the competition beginers route one day, but not today.  So that said, I've used mainly AE 124, with a bit of 124 Precision Delta at times - sorta local and the owner is a great Landcruiser guy.  I'm interested in trying some ASYM 147 remanf and Wilson Combat 135 remanf - any user feedback on these?

Very pleased to find this site.  It's been a great info source in background to look into reloading equipment and seems far friendlier to newcomers than a couple of OEM specific focused forums.

Actually, I ordered a try-it pack of PD 147 remanf after posting; planning to head to Turcotte this weekend if it arrives and the weather clears.  Appreciate the offer; I'd like to walk through  Local is relative at about 2 hours away but we enjoy getting up to Greenwood for a Crystal Grill blue plate lunch occasionally - mostly weekends though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2018 at 8:24 PM, TroutBear said:

No, I do not yet reload - research has pointed my to Redding as where I want to start but that's a 2019 goal. 

This is off on a tangent from your original question but, while Redding makes very high quality reloading gear, you want a Dillon if you plan to reload any real quantity of ammo.  Redding makes great single stage presses (or their turret, which is basically a single stage press with an installed parking lot) but they are best for limited runs of ammo at low production rates.  For any real volume you will very soon want a progressive reloader and Dillon is the class act. 

This is off on a tangent from your original question but, while Redding makes very high quality reloading gear, you want a Dillon if you plan to reload any real quantity of ammo.  Redding makes great single stage presses (or their turret, which is basically a single stage press with an installed parking lot) but they are best for limited runs of ammo at low production rates.  For any real volume you will very soon want a progressive reloader and Dillon is the class act. 

+1 when you take the plunge go with a Dillon 650. It will save you a lot of pain if you just go with the best first time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got 1,000 Blazer Brass 115 9mm on Black Friday for $7.00/50  at that price the cover stays on my Dillon RL450 (upgraded powder and primer system) 

once I get back in the swing of things I will work up a 147 gr load. 

until then my Glock 34 seems to like the loading and I have while I work on coming back from a almost 20 year break.

• 2 months later...

Precision Delta

Fenix

LAX Ammo

Freedom Munitions

Angelfire

Epic

Minuteman

I'm not a fan of just using anything for practice. But I won't use my match ammo either. I try and find something close to my match ammo, but cheaper and that runs and stick with that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 6:23 PM, broadside72 said:

I really like the 147gr 9mm reman RN from freedom munitions.

I love Freedom Munitions. I used their 135gr 9mm with the target hollow points all last season. Great shooting Ammo for sure. Prices have crept up a bit, but still great stuff. When it’s in stock.

I just bought some 147 gr Fenix for about $0.21/rd and am looking forward to giving them a try. PF is under 130 based on their details.

On 3/18/2019 at 8:23 PM, broadside72 said:

I really like the 147gr 9mm reman RN from freedom munitions.

On 4/1/2019 at 1:33 AM, streckjc said:

I love Freedom Munitions. I used their 135gr 9mm with the target hollow points all last season. Great shooting Ammo for sure. Prices have crept up a bit, but still great stuff. When it’s in stock.

I just bought some 147 gr Fenix for about $0.21/rd and am looking forward to giving them a try. PF is under 130 based on their details.

Didnt Freedom get a ton of heat over the last few years for terrible QC and blowing up a few guns?

Before I got into hand-loading, I used Freedom. I'd buy the new brass stuff as extra insurance. Never had a problem and always made power factor. When they had the brass trade-in program, it really made it economical but they stopped doing that when they went into bankruptcy. 

5 minutes ago, nick779 said:

Didnt Freedom get a ton of heat over the last few years for terrible QC and blowing up a few guns?

I've heard "legends" of this happening a while ago but never met anyone with first-hand experiences. Actually, their QC improved over the last couple of years.

On 3/18/2019 at 1:44 PM, streckjc said:

Precision Delta

Fenix

LAX Ammo

Freedom Munitions

Angelfire

Epic

Minuteman

I'm not a fan of just using anything for practice. But I won't use my match ammo either. I try and find something close to my match ammo, but cheaper and that runs and stick with that.

Are those all remans you have shot? Im thinking of getting a test batch of angelfire and fenix.

27 minutes ago, nick779 said:

Are those all remans you have shot? Im thinking of getting a test batch of angelfire and fenix.

Yes, remans are what i use mostly for practice. Although I've heard great things about Fenix that I may use them for local matches as well.

I haven't heard anything about Freedom other than their bankruptcy restructuring last year (I think it was last year). I've had nothing but great experience with them. I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy from them, both reman and new.

I shoot fenix training ammo 147g reman. For practice and matches. I like it a lot 

I bought some freedom 147g reman to test before i heard the horror stories. Only shot 100 but was amazed at how soft it was. Small sample size but they all went bang no problem. 

I shoot fenix training ammo 147g reman. For practice and matches. I like it a lot 
I bought some freedom 147g reman to test before i heard the horror stories. Only shot 100 but was amazed at how soft it was. Small sample size but they all went bang no problem. 
They shoot nice and make 131 PF in my SP01