Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Pull - Interesting Observation

Eureka1911

So my SA loaded .45 has been humming along for over 10,000 rounds, most of it with a Cylinder and Slide slight ear spring giving me a crisp 3.25 pound pull. At any rate after the hammer dropped once to half cock after firing a round off I decided to remove the lighter sear spring. Re-installed the stock Springfield sear spring. Trigger pull went up to just under 4.5 pounds. Still crisp, just a heavier pull. Bummer right?

Here's where it gets interesting. Shooting both a match and two range trips I am finding that I am definitely not shooting worse, and in fact may be shooting a touch better. I don't notice the heavier pull during the match at all. 650 trouble free rounds with the heavier spring now.

Could be. The light spring went in about 7,000 rounds or so ago. 

I was just surprised that the increased pull really did not bother me. I only notice it when pulling the trigger very slowly. When firing normally I do not notice it at all. 

14 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You might have felt a little more secure with the heavier trigger,

and less chance for an accidental discharge  …    ??

Like I said, I never once had an issue with the lighter spring. Never had an AD or any other malfunction. Until last week on my final mag next to last round the hammer dropped to half cock. So I put the stock spring back in.  No issues with it either. I expected to notice the heavier spring more than I did.  

4 hours ago, Eureka1911 said:

So my SA loaded .45 has been humming along for over 10,000 rounds, most of it with a Cylinder and Slide slight ear spring giving me a crisp 3.25 pound pull. At any rate after the hammer dropped once to half cock after firing a round off I decided to remove the lighter sear spring. Re-installed the stock Springfield sear spring. Trigger pull went up to just under 4.5 pounds. Still crisp, just a heavier pull. Bummer right?

Here's where it gets interesting. Shooting both a match and two range trips I am finding that I am definitely not shooting worse, and in fact may be shooting a touch better. I don't notice the heavier pull during the match at all. 650 trouble free rounds with the heavier spring now.

Are you saying to become a better shoot reps>gear...? heresy!  

I know, right?

I was not a too sloppy shot before lightening the trigger up. Didn't lighten it up thinking it would make me a better shot. But I fell prey to the idea that USPSA and other action shooting needed a light pull. Probably the difference between a crappy 6 pound pull and a crisp 4 pound pull is worth it. But at least for me I think that the difference between crisp 3-1/2 and crisp 4-1/2 is not that big of a deal.

I've experienced this anomaly. Sometimes shooting the same or even different platform pistol better than my primary with a lighter trigger in competition. I have concluded when this happens it is usually contibuted that knowing I have an " inferior" trigger pull it causes me to focus on the important fundamentals like better front sight focus and deliberate trigger pull.