Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Magnum PI

427Cobra

You KNOW you're OLD when you still believe that

only Tom Selleck can be Magnum.     ?

Sarge, you probably also think that Lawrence Welk is

The King of Soul, and you must love accordion music.     ?

I haven't seen the new show yet, but doubt seriously that

they have truly replaced Tom - have to keep my

mind open, though, because I'm only 73 years old    :) 

427 Cobra, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt

and accept the possibility that the new Higgins is a very attractive

young lady, and not a rickety old stuffy guy ….     ?

I enjoyed it more than I expected.  Expecting a replacement for Selleck was silly of me.  I enjoyed it more when I accepted it as just a PI show set in Hawaii.  Overall enjoyable though, I'll watch a few more episodes.  @427Cobra thanks for naming the pistol, I was thinking it looked like an STI.

I watched it and it was okay for a remake. Set up for younger viewers, not for those that watched the original Magnum PI.

It’s like the new Hawaii Five-O and even had some of their characters so I’m sure they’ll have appearances on each other’s show. 

Don’t like the way the producers stereo typed the HPD detective with a hokey Japanese name. Some will say at least there is an Asian on the show with a speaking part.....lol

I’ll watch it a few more times just for the gun stuff and cars. 

BTW, Tom Selleck is a shooter. 

9 hours ago, HI5-O said:

I watched it and it was okay for a remake. Set up for younger viewers, not for those that watched the original Magnum PI.

It’s like the new Hawaii Five-O and even had some of their characters so I’m sure they’ll have appearances on each other’s show. 

Don’t like the way the producers stereo typed the HPD detective with a hokey Japanese name. Some will say at least there is an Asian on the show with a speaking part.....lol

I love the new Hawaii 5-0 much better than the original. Probably because the original was not nearly as good as the original magnum PI

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:19 PM, HI5-O said:

Are you talking about Lt. Tanaka? His character was from the original, so they couldn't re-name him. He wasn't quite the a-hole to Magnum in the original though. I wish they would have made a couple movies with the original cast like they were supposed to, like Star Trek Next Gen did. A dignified ending that would have satisfied.

I doubt they cross over to HI50, they already broke the wall by mentioning MPI on the episode with the helicopter ride. They assigned themselves characters from MPI.

I looked at the Costa Comp Magnum edition on Dawson's site. Only 4 left! 

On 9/26/2018 at 4:24 PM, Powder Finger said:

make sense since Selleck had that line in one western movie about the spacing of some girls eyes.

I think he said something like "but your eyes a might far apart"

That would be from the TV movie "The Sacketts" based on Louis L'amour's books.  Ty told Orrin (Tom) that that girls were too far apart like a crazy old roan horse they owned

On 10/9/2018 at 4:44 PM, Sarge said:

I thought everybody knew the original Magnum was a SEAL.?

Full disclosure I haven’t watched the new one. When I saw the hot chick was going to play Higgins I checked out. Nothing against attractive women but the predictable and cliche “sexual tension” that we all know is going to happen is way off course for Magnum. 

And I had to Wikipedia the navy seal part. I grew up watching the show and I always thought he was navy intelligence. I guess I remember flashbacks of him in combat but was to young to appreciate that wasn’t typical intelligence work. That little bit of info really makes me think the original was quite the trend setter. Every cop/detective/ncis/cis/sitcom/soap opera has a former SEAL or spec ops guy on it. Apparently Magnum was cool before it was cool. 

On 9/26/2018 at 9:19 PM, HI5-O said:

With regards to the stereotype Japanese name, I currently work with the first and only native Hawaiian guy I’ve ever known. And his name is Murakami. Soooo.........LoL 

I’m guessing they destroyed the Ferrari in the 1st episode so they could put him in something more PC. Like a Tesla??

On a positive note, at least the dogs are still Dobermans. I guess that’s something.