Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silhouette Powder

tke37617

Does anyone have problems with Silhouette powder being so "fine" and clinging to all surfaces?

It seems to cling to everything inside a powder measure and to the bottom of the powder die check.  I have noticed it also gets in between the 2 powder bars and you will have to eventually blow this area out with air duster.  The powder shoots very well aside from these 2 minor issues.  Any suggestions?

Have you tried an anti static wipe or something along that matter while apart b4 assembly. The only issue I've had was it gets in between the powder bars but not very often do I clean mine. Maybe every 10k. But I'm still using dillon RL1000's.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I've heard Silhouette is temperature sensitive.  Does anyone vary their load with the changing seasons?  Weather in East TN varies from an average of 30 degree days in the winter to 50 degree days in the spring.  Summer is easily 80+ degree days and  fall will average 40 degree days.  As you can see a wide range.  I'm loading 7.6 grains for a PF of 174 right now for summer shooting.

I dont really vary much for mine but this summer I just now finally tuned my load and gun together.i was running 8.7 grns under a 115 and 177-178pf. I tuned down some. Ended around 8.2. I'm in southeast mo. What is the average max deviation ppl are seeing from dead of winter to middle of summer on average on their loads?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have experienced some very similar things with Autocomp. I have removed the powder check rod and now just look into every case and take my time when reloading. I was loosing too much powder to spillage to keep justifying the powder check. Some of these these things are just going to happen when loading 9major with a very fine powder. I also keep an air duster on hand and I make sure to blow powder off when necessary.

Hello: Cut up a drier sheet in strips and put it in the hopper. Ground your machine with a small jumper wire. That powder is reverse temp sensitive so it will be faster when it gets cold. About 0.2 grains less in winter if winter is about 30-40 degrees and summer is around 80. Thanks, Eric

If you ground your reloader make sure the put the correct resistor in line.

The easier way to keep powder from clinging to the sides of the hopper is to buy a set of Wilson Jones Transparent dividers for 3-ring binders.  Cut off the hole section, cut to length, roll up and insert into the empty, clean hopper.  It is not susceptible to static and is not bothered by the Nitro in the powder.  You can leave powder in it forever without staining.

I use Silhouette and love it.  I chrono for 172PF in the Summer, and don't bother reducing the load for Winter.  As long as it chronos at 172PF at the Area 8 Championship in Aug, I'm happy.  If it goes up to 174~176 in the Winter, I don't care.  I can't feel that difference in an Open gun.