Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pcc Muzzle break

Here's slow motion video of my featherweight Taccom tension barrel.  Gas exits the ports, but doesn't do much to control dot rise.  My short stroke buffer does a better job than the the comp does.

Edited by stick

Mine is only on my barrel to make it legal length.  The comp doesn’t do much besides that.  There is gas exiting the ports, but the extent to which it controls muzzle rise or dot bounce is minimal.  Your load, weight distribution, hold on the rifle, and buffer setup are far more important.

Edited by CalTeacher
4 hours ago, Startingover said:

Most of the really long ones are probably "pinned and welded" on a shorter barrel to make them legal rifle length 

Yep, that's what mine is. I had originally bought a 10 inch "pistol upper" and then later decided to build it into a PCC. Didn't want to go the tax stamp and 6 month wait route to have a SBR so I bought one of the Taccom breaks that has an aluminum tube attached to get you to legal rifle length. They thread on, but to be legal they need to be permanently attached, pinned, welded, etc.

Edited by IHMSA15151
3 hours ago, IHMSA15151 said:

Yep, that's what mine is. I had originally bought a 10 inch "pistol upper" and then later decided to build it into a PCC. Didn't want to go the tax stamp and 6 month wait route to have a SBR so I bought one of the Taccom breaks that has an aluminum tube attached to get you to legal rifle length. They thread on, but to be legal they need to be permanently attached, pinned, welded, etc.

You can't see it from my video above, but it's the Featherweight barrel from Taccom.  13" with a pinned and welded comp to be 16"

6 hours ago, stick said:

You can't see it from my video above, but it's the Featherweight barrel from Taccom.  13" with a pinned and welded comp to be 16"

I have the same.  In some ways it feels like it's doing something when I don't have the gun as securely pulled back on my shoulder, but that may just be gun's particular recoil dynamic.  I also got it to make the 16" length.  Love the weight and nimbleness of the Taccom.

PCC2a.jpg

Baffle.jpg

Edited by MoRivera
2 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

For you guys running comps, do you think the extra weight at the end of your barrel does anything?

On one PCC with a 16" barrel I replaced a 4 ounce stainless steel Miculek style comp with a 1.5 ounce titanium comp.  I really feel no difference between the two. But due to port orientation, one is a bit louder than the other.

3 hours ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

For you guys running comps, do you think the extra weight at the end of your barrel does anything?

The brake in my pics is made of aluminum so it's pretty negligible in terms of weight.  Similarly, when I was using a 16" all-steel 'government profile' barrel, there was already quite a bit of weight out there that I don't think a few ounces here or there would make a huge difference.  As referenced earlier, I think the load and reciprocating mass will make the most noticeable differences in feel.

14 minutes ago, chase214 said:

Iv just always wondered if a pistol comp would work ie iv you shoot major pf ammo out of your pistol if it would work as well out of pcc or do pcc even produce enough gas to work the comp

Maybe if you get the powder charge up there enough.  But by that point you're probably going to feel a lot of jolt/lift from the blowback so it may be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

From what I can gather, some shooters reload to barely make minor out of their carbine barrels (loads which may not even make minor out of a 4-5" pistol), and then find the right balance of BCG/buffer/spring to get the flattest/most non-moving PCC's....with less reciprocating mass needed and hence quicker cycling/shorter stroke.  A comp/brake probably doesn't even come into play.

Edited by MoRivera
9 hours ago, MoRivera said:

I have the same.  In some ways it feels like it's doing something when I don't have the gun as securely pulled back on my shoulder, but that may just be gun's particular recoil dynamic.  I also got it to make the 16" length.  Love the weight and nimbleness of the Taccom.

PCC2a.jpg

Baffle.jpg

Here's mine

featherweight.jpg