Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with 1911 issue WITH VIDEO

JatCarver

I bought a old Para 1911 from my uncle just to keep it in the family. He used to shoot bulls eye with it and it was the first pistol I've ever shot so has some sentimental value to me. 

Anyways, has a weird issue, when I pull the trigger and drop the hammer, I have to let out the trigger before I can rack the side, the slide just hits the hammer and stops. If I let out the trigger then I can rack the slide rather easy. 

Video of the issue...

I know my way around 1911's somewhat but thought I would ask here before I dive in encase its something obvious. 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by JatCarver

Have you actually shot the gun? Based on what you're showing, the slide wouldn't come back when fired, as long as you kept pressure on the trigger.

Is there some sort of firing pin safety released by the trigger? If so, it may be the push button under the slide is missing, and the the firing pin actuator on the trigger, protruding up through the frame, is going too far up into a hole, and blocking the slide from moving back, until you release the trigger.

38 minutes ago, Postal Bob said:

Have you actually shot the gun? Based on what you're showing, the slide wouldn't come back when fired, as long as you kept pressure on the trigger.

Is there some sort of firing pin safety released by the trigger? If so, it may be the push button under the slide is missing, and the the firing pin actuator on the trigger, protruding up through the frame, is going too far up into a hole, and blocking the slide from moving back, until you release the trigger.

I agree with Bob.  I can't think of anything else that would cause that condition, except a Series 80 type FPB that is missing the plunger.  Brownell's sell spacers that can take the place of the FPB parts inside the frame to eliminate the part that is rising up and blocking the slide from retracting when the trigger is pulled.  

OR, you could simply buy another spring and plunger to install in the slide.  That will keep the Series 80 plunger lifting mechanism from going into the plunger hole and blocking the slide.  

I also agree that you probably shouldn't fire the pistol until this problem is solved, because I can certainly see damaging parts during recoil.  

Here is a link showing you the Series 80 parts:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6H1tUP6IwM  At about 0:58, it shows the part that is rising up when the trigger is pulled.  If the plunger was still in the slide, it wouldn't be blocking the slide from rearward movement.  The plunger in the slide (which must be missing from your slide) is shown at about 4:10.  

Edited by Ken6PPC
added info...

If the thumb safety was moving up only 1mm, it wouldn't be enough to lock the safety into the uo(safe) position. And working the slide would probably cause the safety to move back down(off).

More likely is something with the series 80 levers. Especially since it was mentioned his uncle was a bullseye shooter. Disconnecting, or removing the mechanism, would allow a more precise trigger feel.