Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing shell latch on left handed versamax

friedghost

Its been a while since I looked inside a left handed VM, but IIRC its just like the left handed Benelli M2.

Take the bolt and trigger group out of the receiver. Look inside the receiver and you should see a slot in the receiver wall near the bottom of the pin. The slot contains a clip that retains the shell latch pin. Remove the clip with a small hooked wire or pin. Push the pin down and out (bent paper clip worked into the bolt raceway)

LHM2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I took another stab at trying to remove the roll pin on the feed latch of the lefthanded versamax and I cannot the slot with the retainer pin for the life of me.  I think I'll have to send it off to the gunsmith eventually if I want a enlarged release button installed. Was hoping to do it myself.

Thanks for the input

Why would it be different than a right handed gun? The ejection port is on the left side and the shell latch is on the left side right? I can't see any reason it would be engineered different than the roll pin method used in the right hand model. I am obviously missing something if Benelli does it this way? If it does use the little clip like show above then the very narrow slot will be easy to see, just look inside the load port where the pin is located.

it's actually not an exact mirror image of the right handed versamax.  The shell latch is on the right side with the ejection port on the left hence it's not easily accessible.  I tore it down again and could not locate the little clip.  Doesn't appear on the versamax schematics.