Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To keep shooting center fire or switch to all rimfire ?

FF112173

Seems as more and more the matches are highly populated by rimfire shooters. Not that this is a bad thing at all but for me, and my personal health issues, rimfire would be a much easier, and less expensive, way to compete. Specialized open race guns for steel challenge are expensive. ? 

If I had to whitle down my repertoire I’d go all rimfire, bit I still have dreams of returning to USPSA once my body gets back in fighting form so I still do some centerfire to stay in practice for that. Plus and I’d like to GM in as many divisions as possible just as a fun personal goal and to keep it interesting.  But, yeah, for the most part rinfire is the way to go for the reasons you mentioned. 

Do to  health issues I had to trim down my shooting and eventually sold all my reloading equipment and centerfire guns.  I'm now enjoying .22s and find it costs a lot less to shoot.  I was reloading upwards of 800 rounds a week for my  9 mm and my .38 revolver.  Now I just order on line so I don't have to pay shipping costs.  

I see where you are at.  Enjoy Rimfire and being out with your friends doing something you like.  If it ain't fun, don't do it.

I shoot both and plan to continue, at least for the foreseeable future.  RFPO is fun and I'm only 1.88 seconds overall away from my Classification goal.  I plan to shoot Open forever.  My old eyes cannot see iron sights, so if I gave up Open that would leave RFRO.    I'd rather shoot PCC, but my retinas will not have it.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

I'd rather shoot PCC, but my retinas will not have it.

Ain't that the truth! Shooting RDS for a while and this week "tried" to shoot some open sight stuff (that's what I carry). OK for COM at 10 -15 yds but that's about it. Picked up a S&W Victory for a good price but I can see already it will need a RDS.

Shooting rimfire is just fun. And I have a rimfire Texas Star that needs to be shot a lot. I can shoot it all I want without disturbing the neighbors. And my wife likes it!

Edited by lgh

5 hours ago, FF112173 said:

my personal health issues, rimfire would be a much easier, and less expensive, way to compete. Specialized open race guns for steel challenge are expensive. ? 

Seems you already answered your own question.  Give it a shot!

14 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Not familiar with the reasoning behind that ?   

What do retinas have to do with PCC, as opposed to any other discipline ?

My retinas are becoming detached.  If I fire any shoulder fired gun, my head is jerked back by the recoil and symptoms emerge.  I've had to give up rifle and shotgun.  I'd probably be able to shoot RFRO without problems, especially if the gun was heavy, but I don't want to take the chance.

I see mine again in a month.  He is the head of Retina Services at Wills Eye Hospital, and he is not sure at this point.  When he is, I'll probably need a balloon inserted to force the fluid out from behind the retina and push it back into shape.  Then he'll need to anchor it and remove the membrane in front of the retina to remove the 'pucker'.  I'm not looking forward to it.  Even then there is no guarantee I'll be able to shoot shoulder fired guns again.

• 2 weeks later...

I waver back and forth between rim fire and center fire. Usually it comes down to an issue of time. It's super easy to just grab a box of 22's and head to the match. No holster, don't have to load ammo, etc. I love shooting my PCC and Open gun, but the 22's are just plan fun to do and easy.

You don't need your holster or belt for centerfire either.  Just bring it up to the bench in a case, and put it back when finished.  That's what I do, and many others as well.

On 9/24/2018 at 1:08 PM, FF112173 said:

Seems as more and more the matches are highly populated by rimfire shooters. Not that this is a bad thing at all but for me, and my personal health issues, rimfire would be a much easier, and less expensive, way to compete. Specialized open race guns for steel challenge are expensive. ? 

sounds like you've already answered your own question ....

On 9/25/2018 at 12:44 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Discussed that with my Ophth last visit - she said if it gets too bad,

she can fix that surgically, as long as you don't wait until it's 

completely detached.     :) 

gotta admit this doesn't make a lot of sense to me .... if they are starting to detach that's BAD and you need surgery to fix .... back in '13 I had got diagnosed with a partially detached retina and since my local eye surgeon couldn't do it he told me to get in a car & drive to the Baskin Palmer Eye Institute in Miami 3 hrs away & he would call them & fax my stuff to them.  The next morning I was in surgery  -- I'm no eye surgeon but detaching retina are nothing to fool around with. Once the macna starts to detach the risk of blindness sky rockets.

7 hours ago, zzt said:

You don't need your holster or belt for centerfire either.  Just bring it up to the bench in a case, and put it back when finished.  That's what I do, and many others as well.

Not to sure about that.... Local matches might let a first time shooter go with low ready with a CF to see what shooting a SCSA match is about but not a sanctioned  Tier II or III match

and I would not as a regular thing even at a local T I match …. you are giving them around 39 seconds over the CF competitors that are drawing from a holster....

Edited by xpierrat

On 10/7/2018 at 6:02 PM, xpierrat said:

Not to sure about that.... Local matches might let a first time shooter go with low ready with a CF to see what shooting a SCSA match is about but not a sanctioned  Tier II or III match

One of the clubs I RO at will allow it, but the shooter shoots for fun.  His score doesn't count.  It appears to be an effective recruiting tool.  After one or two matches the shooter shows up with a holster, belt and pouches.  I've seen it happen four time this year, so far.  All four of them joined USPSA as well.  It really does pay to be flexible, as long as no rules are broken.

57 minutes ago, zzt said:

One of the clubs I RO at will allow it, but the shooter shoots for fun.  His score doesn't count.  It appears to be an effective recruiting tool.  After one or two matches the shooter shows up with a holster, belt and pouches.  I've seen it happen four time this year, so far.  All four of them joined USPSA as well.  It really does pay to be flexible, as long as no rules are broken.

Sorry to leave topic a bit, but +1 at Level 1 matches allowing a brand new centerfire pistol shooter to do it without a draw.  It's safer and lets the shooter get a feel for the sport before investing in a proper rig.  Just don't let the shooter submit the times for classification (they never have a number at that point anyway) and don't worry about it-- these shooters always come in last place or thereabouts regardless, so in the end it's not like they're cheating.  Advise them to buy a holster (and mags-- they never have enough mags!!!!) for next month and chances are you'll have recruited a new shooter into the sport rather than turning them away because they unknowingly didn't come prepared.