Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
B_RAD

Seriously considering open. Reliability concerns!

3 hours ago, lcs said:

DON'T buy used open gun that multiple people have owned.  Buy new or 1st used from someone with a great reputation.

He did that...?

On 9/25/2018 at 9:47 AM, lacivilian said:

Just clean your gun like a normal person every 1k rounds.

No time for that.

6 hours ago, cheby said:

No time for that.

Then shoot a different division. 

I have owned one SV 9mm IMM and it ran fine but only owned it for a short time. The other two I have had are Limcat Phanterras and they are utterly reliable. Of course I do my part with keeping them clean and lubed up and also checking and sorting brass, etc. The only issue I have had (which cost me the match) was a broken STI mag catch and it caused the craziest of symptoms. Now I run only Dawson and they work perfectly and prevent over insertion. Both of my Limcats were bought used from the original owners. To me the gun builder backing the gun makes all the difference. Johnny is incredible and his guns have a lifetime warranty regardless of owner. I just bought my third open gun (Beastcat) and will be selling my Phanterra to some lucky buyer out there who gets to enjoy a gun that runs and runs and has an incredible company backing it. 

Shooting open is great but I think you need to be willing to tinker with the gun, loads and mags to get everything running right.

The biggest problems I've had is with feeding/Mag issues. The mag tuning and cleaning was the biggest learning curve for me coming from shooting Glocks and never needing to clean or tune them. But there is plenty of videos from Atlas on YouTube that walks you through the whole process.

When it comes to 2011s and open division in general, I never really "got it" til I tried it.

You spend $3,500+ on a gun and $75+ per mag knowing that none it is really designed to work out of the box.  Then you tweak and tune and fix until you get it *just* right with that one particular hand load.  Then after a couple thousand rounds, you have to respring a mag or replace a recoil spring and hope that the entire system isn't jacked.

Sounds crazy, right?  Well, then you go out and point and click your way through stage after stage, shooting well above your ability, then it's totally worth it! :)