Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

win 244 .45 data

MAC10

hello, i just read a post about win 244 from Feb. i just now bought a lb. trying to find data OTHER than what is on Wins. web site.

has anyone used this in 45acp for 200gr swc or 230gr fmj rn? if so, would you post some data of yours?

win. web site only has published data for a LRN bullet only one hornady 230gr bullet and i believe a Speer gold dot hp.

was looking for more bullet types in those two weights. i know the powder is fairly new but none of the established bullet makers

( horn, nosler, speer, sierra) has any updates on their sites. called Sierra tech...they said they are just now doing data for 244

and may have an update in a couple of mths. posted on their site. said they are now in the process of putting out their 6th Edition

manual.

would be glad to hear someone with experience loading 45 acp with it.

good to know, i mainly use Penn Bullets (uncoated) in 200gr. w/ CCI . i too have an R.O. but just purchased a L.B. Premier ii w/ 1.5 guarantee.

i`ve only begun to shoot the Baer. only factory stuff now just to break-in. Les told me not even to bother calling about stove-pipes, feed problems etc,

until i`ve shot aroung 6 to 700 rds thru it.

when i`m done breaking in, i want to work up some loads for it using win 244. i`m hoping its a good powder. some say its just a newer 231 w/ a copper

fouling agent in it. i will see? thanks for your post!

While charge weights are comparable to Win 231, I found velocities to be higher with 244.  I do not consider it a new version of 231 because of this difference (though, perhaps, it is).

I have not yet tried a comparison between lead and coated, though I want to.

i dont know if it is either. i think i saw an article in one of the major gun publications. the author said

when he tried to probe about the make up of the powder, he did`nt get a good answer.

anyhow, when some of my bullets arrive this week i`m going to try to chronograph a few to see the difference.