Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What if timer doesn't pick up all shots fired?

JZELEK

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Bosshoss said:

What I tried to say before was if the last shot wasn't picked up then the timer either isn't working correctly or RO wasn't close enough to get the last shot. Either way you can't record a incorrect time no matter what the reason. Does it suck that they get a reshoot yeah but it happens.

We were talking about a very specific subset of the situation that you describe - when the shooter had to quit in the middle of the stage due to malfunction/squib/out of ammo/any other reason, and when the total points were going to be zero. If that happens, it really doesn't matter whether the last shot was recorded or not, the score is zero. Not recording the last shot gives the shooter better score. If this better score is still zero, the score can be determined accurately because 9.5.6 specifies that the minimum score for a COF is indeed zero. 

In the "standard" scenario when the last shot is not recorded and the score cannot be determined, I agree with you and I would award a reshoot. Is this "double standard?" Yes and no. The rule uses ambiguous term "faulty," so I would interpret it based on the situation - if I can determine the score with certainty, record it. Reshoot otherwise. 

Compare to one of the basic scoring rules in 9.1.4. If the score can be determined, it will stand. Only if it cannot be determined does the shooter get another chance. With timer and zero-COF I would use the same principle. If the score can be determined, it is what it is. 

51 minutes ago, MHicks said:

Shooter is having the stage of his life, RO closely watching the timer at the end of the stage, shooter fires his last two shots, last shot doesn't register. Reshoot with no complaints?

If the last shot is not recorded on a proper stage, there really isn't any other option. If the time is not known, the score is not known. So it's either reshoot, or leaving the match and pouting in the parking lot. 

1 hour ago, MHicks said:

Shooter is having the stage of his life, RO closely watching the timer at the end of the stage, shooter fires his last two shots, last shot doesn't register. Reshoot with no complaints?

if you're a famous capri-pants wearing sponsored shooter.... then the score stands after you tell DNROI you don't have to reshoot the stage, even tho the honorable shooters realized their time was wrong and volunteered to reshoot. .... Just sayin.....

1 hour ago, IVC said:

If the last shot is not recorded on a proper stage, there really isn't any other option. If the time is not known, the score is not known. So it's either reshoot, or leaving the match and pouting in the parking lot. 

Yep. 

15 hours ago, MHicks said:

If you were not complaining about something you would never fit in with most folks I squad with.

It is a skill.

If I have to worry about an RO not holding the timer right, or having my own timer because I'm worried about someone trying to cheat me, or if the timer picked up all the shots, that would take all the fun out of it.  I shoot mostly local matches and do it for fun, which a vast majority of us do.  All the RO's I shoot with are honest people, and if any mistake is made, it's corrected the best way we can (according to the rules) and move on.