Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
JZELEK

What if timer doesn't pick up all shots fired?

I ask this scenario because I have encountered the exact same issue in a major match. 

The timer picked up something 2 seconds after the last shot.  Of course,  the RO did not agree.  RO did not count shots.  I felt the time was not right, but I had no proof other than the magazines on the ground and on the belt, which can be used to calculate how many rounds I fired (Production division), and based on that the timer showed 1 more shot.

In short, I ate the 2 extra seconds, but I have been thinking about how to prevent this from happening again in future matches.  ShotMaxx may just be the solution.

34 minutes ago, Dazhi said:

I ask this scenario because I have encountered the exact same issue in a major match. 

The timer picked up something 2 seconds after the last shot.  Of course,  the RO did not agree.  RO did not count shots.  I felt the time was not right, but I had no proof other than the magazines on the ground and on the belt, which can be used to calculate how many rounds I fired (Production division), and based on that the timer showed 1 more shot.

In short, I ate the 2 extra seconds, but I have been thinking about how to prevent this from happening again in future matches.  ShotMaxx may just be the solution.

There is a learning curve in using the shotmaxx spy mode. It starts based upon movement of the watch and then has a built in delay that is adjustable (at least for the version 1 watch). For regular standing draw and deliver starts its pretty close, for ones where you have to run to table to start it can be off a little more. I originally started using it to check transitions, movement time etc, but then realized I should check and make sure its at least close to the official time, which it usually is. I just like the peace of mind in being confident the score I earned got recorded. 

RO’d for the first time in a good long while yesterday. First time with PCC’s. And we had one of those fun U shaped stages where you start up front and move back, then forward down a narrow path. It was tricky catching the last PCC shots. Catching all of them would not have been possible. When I RO I have the timer in my peripheral vision, roughly inline with where the gun is so I can see both. I’m watching to make sure the numbers are changing on the last couple shots. Soon as the shooter is done I look at the number, then ULSC while the timer is facing the scorekeeper. After Range is clear I check it again and call the time off. If something is off from what I remember it’s time to review and take a peek. Number of shots fired doesn’t matter to me. 

8 hours ago, perttime said:

The glancing at the timer that I've seen is more like raising the timer so that the RO has both shooter and timer in the field of view simultaneously

Yes - that's glancing at the timer.  Did it over and over today at a local. 😀

49 minutes ago, teros135 said:

Yes - that's glancing at the timer.  Did it over and over today at a local. 😀

👍☝️

On 10/14/2018 at 7:07 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

I suspect everyone knew that all humans can make mistakes. 

That wasn't the question. Question was to use official match devices to assist RO to make the right calls. Like counting number of shots, recording splits and have that information on the record.