Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SSI X5 Tungsten Grip Module

Manwithnoname

No I haven’t. I know the X5 springer guide rod that is 3.4 oz is $100. Approximately $34 an oz at that rate. $238 for the 7 oz in this grip at that rate. $80ish for the grip and the additional cost for silicon treatment makes it not look as bad for that rate. And I have two of those guide rods. 

There are several factors why I am I intersted in this grip. First - I don’t have time to experiment on how to secure 7 oz of tungsten in the grip. Second - I use a 320 with the x grip for work so this would be similar. 

Does anyone one have an idea about how they would secure 7 oz of tungsten in an X grip? I was thinking tungsten powder mixed in JB weld? I don’t know if there would be enough room though. I did find 8 oz of tungsten powder for about $40. 

3 hours ago, Akkid17 said:

Yeah it’s like silicone carbide but with tungsten filler, seems like something you could do yourself minus the internal weight 

That's what it looks like to me but I haven't seen those and wont be buying one.

I did some thinking and you could get some powdered tungsten and mix it with epoxy then apply it to the grip after some radius reduction then apply a couple layers , sand to fit, then do a final layer and add silicone carbide or grip tape

I’d be willing to try especially since the grip modules aren’t too expensive 

I epoxied #8 lead shot to my grip, coated it with another layer of epoxy then added silicone carbide.  I was able to add almost 6oz to the module.  My grip is big now, but that is what I was looking for.  I have huge hands and I really like the way it feels. 

• 4 months later...
On 9/23/2018 at 6:52 PM, Manwithnoname said:

No I haven’t. I know the X5 springer guide rod that is 3.4 oz is $100. Approximately $34 an oz at that rate. $238 for the 7 oz in this grip at that rate. $80ish for the grip and the additional cost for silicon treatment makes it not look as bad for that rate. And I have two of those guide rods. 

There are several factors why I am I intersted in this grip. First - I don’t have time to experiment on how to secure 7 oz of tungsten in the grip. Second - I use a 320 with the x grip for work so this would be similar. 

Does anyone one have an idea about how they would secure 7 oz of tungsten in an X grip? I was thinking tungsten powder mixed in JB weld? I don’t know if there would be enough room though. I did find 8 oz of tungsten powder for about $40. 

Is that tungsten guide rod really worth the $100 over the stainless one they offer? I've been debating but just can't decide.

I just got my SSI Tungsten grip module, after shooting 2 local matches back to back this past weekend I am very happy overall. Very noticeable weight difference, obviously super grippy (what I prefer), and the fact that the overall grip is wider makes me even happier. I feel like I’m holding my limited gun when it comes to the width. The biggest  issue I had with my stock X5 grip module was that there wasn’t enough grip and the module was too narrow for my hands. I went back & forth with the decision to spend $435 on this grip module, because I wasn’t completely sold on the idea other than I wanted something to really grip my hands. There wasn’t anyone in my area that had one for me to test drive, so I made the plunge a few weeks ago and it’s 100% worth it TO ME. Other people may say otherwise and that’s fine because maybe they see it as a waste or they are more frugal then myself. Some people may decide to add weight in other way, But if you look at the cost of Infinity, PT Evo, CK, And LimCat grips for 2011’s, $435 is a bargain lol

Some of us like or like the idea of a heavier grip and talk ar SHOT Show is that SIG/ Phil Strader eluded to possibly having a steel grip module coming out as an answer to the new Q5SF...

11 hours ago, Eros said:

Some of us like or like the idea of a heavier grip and talk ar SHOT Show is that SIG/ Phil Strader eluded to possibly having a steel grip module coming out as an answer to the new Q5SF...

That's something that id be interested in, I hope happens in the future. But for now I think the SSI grip module fills that gap for me at least.

On 2/6/2019 at 7:04 PM, Eros said:

If the initial announcement to introduction of the x5 is any indicator of timeline on that we’re about 2 years out on a steel grip module... lol