Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there a trick?

griffin838

So I have a R1 Recon Commander double stack 9 that has an extractor issue.  Occasionally, a spent casing is getting wedged at an angle underneath the extractor.  Upon further inspection I noticed that on the last round of the mag, the empty case is frequently left resting on top of the now empty mag.  I learned that by placing an empty in the chamber, as soon as it loses contact with the inside of the chamber it falls free.  So I start looking at the extractor and there is a huge gap when a empty case is slid underneath of it.  There is no way that it will hold on to it, let alone doing it while shaking the slide gently.  So now to the question.  What is the trick to getting the firing pin safety plunger out on a series 80?  I feel like I need to bend the extractor slightly for more tension but that darn plunger won't come out.

image1.jpeg

Your series 80 slide has a plunger on the bottom side this is the firing pin block. With the slide off the frame, use a punch to push the plunger up into the slide while simultaneously pushing the firing pin in to release the firing pin stop. (It is helpful to put the slide upside down in a vice) Once you have the firing pin stop removed, push the plunger again to allow the firing pin to pop out the back of the slide. Be careful to keep the plunger captive as it is is under spring tension and will disappear to the same hole in space new socks go. Reassemble in opposite order.

You don't need a special tool to tune the extractor or check for correct tension.  Take the extractor part way out, just a bit past the raised area in the center.  While the  front end of the extractor is still in the slide bore, bend it slightly in the direction of the hook so that you add more tension.  After that, check if a round will slide up onto the extractor face smoothly, but also stay firmly against the breech face when the slide is held horizontally.  It may take a couple of tries to get right, but it's a pretty simple process.  Feeding up will be a lot smoother if you bevel the bottom edge and polish the surface that the case rim contacts.  Also, the bevel of the case should not be in contact with the hook of the extractor.

Yes, a lot of factory 1911s go out like that because manufacturers don't want to spend an extra five minutes setting them up correctly.  Or they're too clueless to realize it's not supposed to be like that.  Yours needs to be tuned.  The hook is hitting on the case bevel when it shouldn't be and the flat part behind the hook is not contacting the case rim when it should be.  

• 3 weeks later...

Once done take a loaded round (slide off of frame/barrel out of slide), slip it under the extractor and rotate the slide.  When the tension is right the round won't move.

It's supposed to be at something like 15 lbs of force to pull the round down and out of the extractor.

I drilled a hole in a used case and slipped some wire in it, secured one end and looped the other end.  Then hooked my trigger gauge to it, but I'm kind of an OCD type.

Go to youtube , you can find a tutorial  on  how  to  take the series  80 safty parts out, next when you get them out put them in your trash can and get a  series  80 spacer to replace  it. You will also get a better  trigger  pull doing this, and it wont make anything  unsafe, if it did all gun manufacturer's would be doing it.