Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MDB Range Report

mbuesing1

Been shooting a lot in the last month, nearly 3k rounds, but it has been aimless and I have no means to measure improvement with it.  So today I’m getting organized!

My long term goal is to make gm and ultimately be competitive.  I have short term goals as well but ill wait to mention them till I really pinpoint how I’m going to continue training.

My next range day I’m going to set up some drills to actually evaluate where my skill level is and what precisely needs addressing right now. I know my marksmanship is hurting me a lot more than movement stuff so that will be the focus. I’ll pinpoint it more as I objectively evaluate myself.  I’m using “Skills and Drills” and will start with “Marksmanship Drills” and “Standard Practice Setup” to set a bench mark.  I think that will also help me identify what skills I’m lacking in marksmanship.  

I will update after the next range day.

Insta is goldyglocks09.  I occasionally post videos and pics there.  I’m going to look more into a GoPro or something so I can better review my practice and matches.  

6 minutes ago, mbuesing1 said:

B class right now. 74.3693.  

I'm B also, but more like 60.001   :(

Good luck trying to make GM, I'm just trying to make A.

I presume you're doing a LOT of dry firing ?    From reading BE, it seems that is The Answer to

all of our dreams to make GM.

Alright, hit the range today but was on a time crunch and a little unprepared.  Didn’t have staples so I was able to setup one target, but that was enough to do some evaluation. 

I setup Ben’s “Practical Accuracy” drill, which is an a zone with everything else painted white.  I started at ten yards and fired 6 rounds as fast as I could clearly see the sights.

>Cold run: went great! All Alphas in 3.77sec.  Grouping was great with 2 flyers about 3” from the group of 4 right in the middle.

>Obviously speed could be picked up a bit.  I need to work on seeing the sights faster.  Not sure if this would be a recoil management things or just getting more time in behind the gun.  

>Run 2: 6 Alpha in 3.52sec.  Grouping was not nearly as good with one round right on the left side perf.  

>I think this was due to me not gripping as hard with my weak hand.  The sights were bouncing around a bit more

>Run 3: 4 Alpha 2M in 3.59.  Group was good but more toward the left so I dropped 2 out of the A zone.  

> Could be trigger control as I tend to favor the left side.  Something Ive been trying to correct with finger placement on the trigger with some success.  I used to put a lot of tension into the gun and would pull it left but I’ve fixed that for the most part.  

The next three runs went about the same with one run under 3sec.  

Next I worked on Ben’s “Doubles Drill” at 10 and 15yrds.  

>first run: 10yrds. Avg. .33 split times +-.03.  Dropped 2 of 12 rounds

>The gun seemed really hard to control.  I was trying to keep my arms more bent rather than locking my elbows out.  I think I was over exaggerating this and it was messing me up.  

>Run 2: 10Yrds. Avg. .24 splits +- .02 All Alpha

> Was still having issues controlling the gun but I tried to power through it and it worked out.  

Did 2 runs at 15Yrds with about a .30 Avg. split. Managed 75% Aphlas

I finished the day with a 10 Yard bill drill.  I managed a 2.16 with all Alpha.  I was really happy with this cause it felt like the gun tracked perfect and I saw every shot.  The difference was that I wasn’t thinking about the bend in my arms.  I just brought the gun up and It landed where it needed to.  No muscleing it into place.  

Overall I’m pretty happy how the day went.  I think consistency will come with dry fire.  Next range day ill be able to confirm the arm bend thing and move past that.  I think putting a focuse on marksmanship and fundamentals is definitely the right way to do this.  Seeing my sights faster will be a goal as I can only shoot as fast a I can place my sights.  Ill gauge my improvement based on these two drills for now. Possibly others as time goes on.  Gonna try and get to the range tomorrow and Friday before the Indiana sectional.  

09/27/2018

El Prez:

• Run 1: Cold (T1 3A 1C) (T2 3A 1M) (T3 2A 2C) 6.21sec.  1.56 Draw
    • Run 2: 5.74sec. 1.48 draw (T1 1A 2C 1D) (T2 4A) (T3 4A)
    • Run 3: 6.73sec. 1.49 Draw (T1 3A 1C) (T2 3A 1C) (T3 2A 2C)
    • Run 4: 5.52sec. 1.29 Draw (T1 2A 2C) (T2 2A 2A) (T3 3A 1C)
    • Run 5:

Blake Drill:

• Run 1: 1.98 1A 1D, 2C, 1A 1D
    • Run 2:  2.01 2A, 2A, 1C 1D
    • Runs 3 and 4 I’m pulling through the target.  Hits are consistently left on T1 and T3, and going across T2

4 Ace’s

• 7Yrds
    • Run 1: 2.69sec 4A 1.02 draw 1.22 reload
    • Run 2: 2.74sec 4A 1.13draw 1.20 load
    •  
  • 10Yrds
    • Run 3: 4.0 4A 1.25 draw 2.17 load
    • Run 4: 3.38 3A 1C  1.22 draw 1.65 load
    • Run 5: 3.26 3A 1C 1.34 draw 1.37 load

• Came prepaired today so I was able to setup Ben’s “Standard Practice Setup” and feel like I was helpful
    • Started with El prez and I was happy with where I was at.  Ran a couple solid A class runs, also completely bombed a few
    • Definetly need to work on turn and draw as well as just overall draw consistency.  I found through the whole day of training that getting a consistent grip was an issue.  That’ll get fixed with more dryfire
    • Draw speed and reload speed were some places to pick up time.  Getting across the targets my times were ok, I just need to work on the accuracy at that speed.  That showed in the Blake Drill as well.
    • In the Blake drill I was pulling shots across the targets.  Generally hits on T1 were ok, T2 shots would be on either side of the A zone, T3 rounds would be right of the A zone.  
    • Transitions will need to be worked on a lot 
    • 4 Ace’s my draw and load seemed to be the weak link.  Hits were generally good but I should be getting a 1sec draw or lower and load could be improved.  
    • I pushed back to 10 yards and hits suffered a little.  Again draw and load seemed to be the weak link.
    • Once I pushed back to 20Yards I FELL APART COMPLETELY Which was a kick in the balls.  Not exactly sure what happened but distance shooting at speed obviously needs work.
  • I think this evaluation is going ok.  I’m still trying to figure this out as far as finding a starting point.  I’m gonna run the “Standard Practice Setup” more as Practice and get a better spread of times to look back on later on to gauge improvement.  Hopefully that works. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I shot the Indiana sectional last week.  It went about as well as I expected and I’m happy with that.  I finished 23rd in production and around 65% of Alex which is where I was finishing when I stopped shooting 2.5 years ago.  So I think I’m at about the level I was before which isn’t bad considering I just picked back up middle of august.  

The biggest thing holding me back appears to be time.  I was over a minute slower overall than my friend Eric who is a gm.  He beat me on points each stage but not by much.  If my time were better I would’ve placed much better

So I’m slow.  But what am I slow at.  I think what killed me the most was first shots entering a position and transitions.  Especially on partials.  I did have a few stages where I made some dumb planning mistakes (Like completely forgetting the plan and running around aimlessly) but I still don’t think that hurt me worst.  

I did get a little confidence boost at this match considering I didn’t hit any no shoots.  I just need to do that at speed now.  I had 4 misses. One was a planning issue and I forgot a piece of steel.  One was a NPM on a drop turner. I thought I put 2 good round on it but I guess it turned a bit to fast for me.  The third I just threw a wild shot on a fast transition. The 4th surprised me, I called 2 good shots on a far partial.  Maybe 15 yards.  Not sure what happened there.

Overall I think I need to up my speed in practice.  Speed on transitions, speed on far targets, speed on partials.  Eat some crappy shots and see what I need to improve. 

26D80418-E969-4740-819B-72FB461EA20B.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Worked on doubles last week.

15yrds: started out at around a .3-.35 splits and getting mostly A

I picked up the pace and got down to around .22-.25 splits. I was pulling most of my shots down to the A C line. I think I need to focus on maintaining my grip pressure. It starts off strong but as I shoot it lightens up.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk