Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First major match

Paulie

Searched around for this topic and was surprised it hadn’t been covered lately. Also got a million unrelated results because “major” and “match” pop up from time to time here! 

Title says it all. I’m gearing up for my first major match. I’ve only been able to shoot 4 stage indoor matches so a Level II brings a host of unknowns, mostly related to logistics and the Chrono stage. 

How does the chrono “stage” even work? I give RO a mag or they choose? How many rounds will they shoot? I just don’t want to embarrass myself do anything that makes me look like I’m gaming it. 

Supplies- what are things that someone who shoots one hour indoor matches would forget or have no idea about relating to an all day affair? 

Weather should be in 70 range but it could rain I guess. 

Other miscellaneous advice? 

Thanks in advance. 

Try this.

Search "First Major Match". Let the results come up. After the results come up, look under the search bar for "more search options". Click that. Directly under the search bar, click on "The phrase First Major Match". Let that page load. If you want to search just threads about "first major match", after loading, on the far right under the search bar, you will see (in blue) "First Major Match in content titles only"...click that.

I found 535 results with the phrase "First Major Match".

4 hours ago, Paulie said:

How does the chrono “stage” even work? I give RO a mag or they choose? How many rounds will they shoot?

Supplies- what are things that someone who shoots one hour indoor matches would forget or have no idea about relating to an all day affair? 

Chrono stage works differently depending on where you are - they'll probably take 6 - 10 or so rounds from you and fire three.   If they average OK, that's it.   Nothing to worry about - they do all the work - you just watch    :)    

IFF you are NOT sure about your PF, make sure before you go the match - make sure you're going to hit PF, even if it means adding 0.1 - 0.2 grains per round.

SUPPLIES - bandaids, chair, umbrella, rain gear, extra everything (ammo, mags, etc), hat, glasses, food/beverages, Tylenol, bring your spare gun, cleaning kit, tools.

Oh, ALL the rules will be strictly enforced - NOT like at some local matches.  Esp the 180, finger in trigger guard and the safety table (no ammo).

And, you'll NEVER sweat a local match after attending this match.

Have a blast    :) 

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

• 3 months later...
On 9/23/2018 at 9:45 AM, GrumpyOne said:

Try this.

Search "First Major Match". Let the results come up. After the results come up, look under the search bar for "more search options". Click that. Directly under the search bar, click on "The phrase First Major Match". Let that page load. If you want to search just threads about "first major match", after loading, on the far right under the search bar, you will see (in blue) "First Major Match in content titles only"...click that.

I found 535 results with the phrase "First Major Match".

This just changed my enos search life. Thanks for this post from a tech challenged shooter. 

2 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

@Paulie

I'm assuming that since this thread was posted back in September, you've probably shot the match already.  How did it go?

I don’t want to upset Grumpyone for posting on a dupe...but here goes. 

It was an excellent first major (indeed first outdoor match).

Things I learned. 

1) You need a cart. It was a bear lugging my crap bay to bay. I highly recommend Gorilla Cart “GOR800” garden carts off amazon (as opposed to the canvas beach cart style). Much higher capacity, capability over terrain and durability. It’s absolutely a life saver and you’ll use it around the house too. 

2) yes, you need to bring 2x estimated round count. I did and was amazed how much I used during the match between shucking them out at “show clear” and make up shots....it got close. 

3) Don’t bring any gear that isn’t tested and proven. I brought a beater dry fire mag “just in case” and it got on my belt somehow. That mag cost me a 13 second torpedo double feed cluster-F malfunction. Dumb move. Test it or leave it at home. 

4) Not a big deal but refresh your front fiber optic if applicable. I had used mine all year and didn’t realize how dirty it had become. The fiber was much better after replacement (a week after match). 

5) Develop a load that will easily make power factor. Mine was well over major but guys in my line flunked. Sweating temp or humidity levels is the last thing you need to do at a match. Chrono should be stress free. 

6) Mag brush is needed for any 1911 platform. If they hit the dirt / mud, they get the brush. Mine got sooo dirty on a few stages. 

7) The stages will look way different than the match book so it’s a waste of time to obsess about them pre-match. Just practice any unusual starting positions, steel, stars etc. 

8- record the match if you can so you can learn from success and mistakes alike. 3rd person is best for movement.... 1st person for grip and overall stage plan. Do both if you can. 

9) Skip the heavy / long BBQ lunch and instead quickly eat light and walk the “back 9” instead. 

10) Shoot more majors! It was really fun and invigorating to be among really good shooters. 

44 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Lot of great ideas there, Paulie, thanks for taking the time to share that with us     :)

BUT, how did you do ?

I shot my current level of skill and had fun which is all I can ask for :) 

As a mid B class guy who had never shot a real match before, I was pretty pleased:

Hit 80% of division winner (who is an amazing shooter) once...most stages above my classification %. 

Sort of a hoser match but I was happy with points: one mike, zero deltas and two NS’s. 

Upon review of the tape, there was a lot of low-hanging fruit and lessons learned.

- The catastrophic malfunction was preventable. 

- Several standing and/or completely unnecessary reloads due to poor ammo planning.  

-Saw way more than I needed to (shooting major) on close targets....so that was slow. Had stages that were 100% A’s. 

I know I will do better next time. 

On 1/9/2019 at 5:05 PM, T-Free said:

11) Bring an extra pair of socks and shoes. Shot one last year that had a few stages with 2-3" standing water. Putting on dry socks and shoes after the wet stages was life saving!

+1 on that.  Once I started traveling to matches with friends I noticed some of the guys wearing flip flops to the range, then changing into range shoes in the parking lot and throwing them back on after the match.  It sounds like such an obvious thing to do but I never thought to do this until I saw others.  It honestly does make such a big difference on the drive home.  Nowadays my range shoes live in a shopping bag because they're so dirty from all the range trips.