Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock trigger finger placement

GIO

Hi All,  I am new to Glocks and looking for some advice. I have been working on my 15 and 25 yard groups and noticed I was shooting 2-3 inches off target always to the left of center. I almost never see an impact to the right of my aiming point (1 inch orange dot). I group and string shots in an array of 3-4 inches left and center to high. 

After a bunch of experiments I noticed when I move my trigger finger out of the guard and place the first quarter of my finger on the trigger safety tab the shots pull more to the center. When I center the trigger in the middle of the first section of my finger things get ugly. I thought the deeper you are into the trigger the greater chance of pulling right of target? 

I shoot 1911s fairly well and have a pretty good understanding of the fundamentals but Glocks are a challenge for me... I have a g17 from TTI and a g34 with a good trigger and Dawson sights. Any help would be appreciated, 

Thank you

Not an expert by any means, but guess is has to do with alignment and trigger mechanism itself. Eric G and Robert Vogel have both talked finger placement in various podcasts I have listened to and they use what works for them...neither is completely conventional.   I would do some dry fire and figure out what works best for you.

As noted, an aftermarket trigger might help a lot.

Edited by B585

I use the tip of my finger and try to only pull from the middle nuckle to get a straight pull the the rear. Dry fire and a good support hand grip will get your groups to tighten up. I think there is a learning curve coming from a hammer and sear trigger to a striker fired gun, its just technique and practice.

An aftermarket trigger should help.  As we all know, A glock trigger will never be a 1911 trigger.  With that being said, Daily dry fire and the wall drill should help a lot.  I would say try just the tip of your shooting finger and try a controlled pull with a strong grip from your support hand.

This happens with some of us when we move from a single action to a Glock.  Pulling the trigger from near your knuckle rather than the tip of your finger is a common and inexpensive solution. For me, I also find that a flat trigger like the ones from Overwatch Precision helps pull the trigger straight back but I solved the shooting left problem before buying the trigger just by moving my finger in ("more finger on the trigger").  Here's PatMac explaining it.