Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 2011 22lr conversion

Dane460

I use a Marvel Unit 1 that has been worked up somewhat by an excellent gunsmith.  Not to say that they need a ‘smith but just mentioning so for full disclosure.  I like it, but it is built tight to make the Marvel accuracy guarantee, and as a result the chamber area needs to be kept clean to run.  By clean, I mean really friggin’ clean, to the point that if I’m just shooting for fun, it’s the last of my competition guns that I’ll grab, because my RFRO and PCC can go seemingly forever without much more than a boresnake run through. It runs 100% for the the length of a match, but that’s it:  it cannot go two Steel Challenge matches between thorough cleanings. I’m not saying this to dissuade anyone—if you want suoerb accuracy, it is the only way to go, but just know what you’re trading off for that accuracy.  

The only kit for 1911/2011 that has never once come into my shop for tuning or accuracy issues is the Marvel One. The Colt Ace is pretty good too but finding 2011 mags that will work is not an easy task - and it's not as accurate as the Marvel.

I just had occasion to call Marvel Precision to order a few parts.  I found out the company was bought about 6 months ago.  The new owner is carrying on, and seems quite knowledgeable.  They will be making some improvements shortly.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had several TacSol conversions and used them in both single and doublestack frames.  Each one needed some tweaking to get them working, and TacSol's customer service has been great.  I had issues with the double stack mags and they quickly replaced them.  Recently, I had the barrel assembly fall of the front of the gun when firing.  It took a while to figure out why until the slide got jammed up in a way that revealed a crack in the front.  TacSol immediately send an entire replacement conversion.

IMG_8040.thumb.jpg.d7293c8bb4ef7c2370e01cd0ddb438cc.jpg

Without a doubt, the Nelson Custom is the best conversion. It is an updated version designed by Bob Marvel. It is quick and easy to install. It is incredibly accurate. Wide body magazines are available and they don't cost a fortune. Yup, the slide locks to the rear on an empty magazine. You can change the top rail from an adjustable sight to a weaver rail and now a Picatinney/ iron sight combo rail. Dry firing is okay too.

I mounted mine Nelson on a dedicated Springfield frame. I had this frame front strap checkered to match my Springfield TRP. Everybody that shoots the Nelson wants one.