Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PSA Colt style mags losing rounds when dropped

Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster. Couldn’t find the answer after searching so hopefully this isn’t a double!

Anyways built myself a PCC with a Colt style lower. Had a hard time finding mags that were in stock until I found PSA had them in stock so I ordered a bunch. I shot the pcc for the first time in a match last weekend and had a riot. Only thing that bugged me is when I would drop a mag for a mandatory reload (2 stages) the rounds that were left in the mag that dropped would shoot out the top like those fake snakes in a can when it hit the ground! It wouldn’t completely empty them but I’d lose anywhere from a few up to a dozen. Is there a way to fix this or are there certain mags that won’t do this? The psa mags run great but picking up ammo off the ground is a pain when we’re trying to move the stage along. 

Thanks guys!

Check that your bolt catch is not rubbing the rounds in the mag

pull the top end off, and insert a loaded mag, the front of the bolt catch should clear the rounds in the mag, if not file the nose of the bolt catch until it clears the rounds, but still engages the lock back tab on the follower

I begin classifiers using a 20rd mag fitted with a 32 rd spring. It’s cut down to 4 or 6 coils longer than the factory 20rd spring. A seriously extra-power setup.

I’ll only load 10-12 rounds into it, and it won’t spit rounds everywhere. The problem is that when the butt of the magazine lands, the weight of all those rounds compresses down into the magazine and then they bounce back and come flying upward. Less weight, stronger spring, less mess.

Reload to a big stick (I use TF +10s on colt mags) and learn to embrace the beercan grip. Trust me, it’s faster and more consistent than pointing the mag in like a pistol reload with a short mag... because the gun stays completely shouldered.

Look at how he draws the mag, and how little the gun moves from it’s firing position:

Edited by MemphisMechanic